PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do the Patriots Combat CB Blitz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFan2

Hall of Fame Poster
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This has been a Blitz that seem to confuse the OL especially the Tackles who for some reason block down instead of to the outside. I know the Defenders gets paid too but this is a Blitz that just creates confusion with most Blocking Schemes, which i bet is by design. I think the empty Backfield is not a good formation against this because the QB becomes a sitting duck if the Free blitzer gets through. A RB or 3rd down Back should be in at all times to guard against this. Matt Cassel took some shots completing plays that defeated this blitz. But do we want Cassel to take those kind of shots vs Pittsburgh? I am sure Pittsburgh will see the tapes on how Miami came close a couple of times with that Blitz scheme and Pitt has a more sophisticated D. Food for thought.

Last edited:
This has been a Blitz that seem to confuse the OL especially the Tackles who for some reason block down instead of to the outside. I know the Defenders gets paid too but this is a Blitz that just creates confusion with the Blocking Scheme, which i bet is by design. I think the empty Backfield is not a good formation against this because the QB becomes a sitting duck if the Free blitzer gets through. A RB or 3rd down Back should be in at all times to guard against this. Matt Cassel took some shots completing plays that defeated this blitz. But do we want Cassel to take those kind of shots vs Pittsburgh? I am sure Pittsburgh will see the tapes on how Miami came close a couple of times with that Blitz scheme and Pitt has a more sophisticated D. Food for thought.

I'm no defensive expert, but i don't think you can protect against every kind of blitz. The obvious answer is burn them repeatedly for sending a coverage person.

I think a good play would be this:

Formation: 2TE, Wishbone. Cassel takes a 3 step drop and then gets a quick release. The RBs will all block also.

Oh... wait. People have to be running patterns in order to get open? Sometimes blockers lose their matchup?

Surely we can scheme our way out of that! We need to figure out a way to get more than 11 guys on the field at once. Our whole team is made of glass.

avoiding the CB blitz is something that more or less falls on the shoulders of the QB..........if the QB can take a step forward to avoid the hit, it will be unlikely that the passing CB will arm tackle cassel.......he then takes a couple of steps outside and its uh-oh for the defense since there are open targets galore since by then the coverage will have broken down......it also depends on the WR who the blitzer was covering to break off into an inside slant.........

you just hope it doesn't happen on the same play an OT gets beat

Not sure EXACTLY either, but, that would mean open receivers with NO CB coverage..THAt is the best way to beat that blitz..less coverage for receivers. A mobile QB can help some, but burning CBs is the best way to combat it. The hot receiver can get open and unless there is a safety moving in, it will be a successful play.

A RB or 3rd down Back should be in at all times to guard against this. Matt Cassel took some shots completing plays that defeated this blitz.

16-0 last season included a win over the Steelers, and the Patriots didn't have a RB or 3rd down back at all times during that game.

TWo ways I've always beat the CB blitz is to step up in the pocket or throw to the side of the blitzer.. (ie quick slant.. changing the hot route)

avoiding the CB blitz is something that more or less falls on the shoulders of the QB..........if the QB can take a step forward to avoid the hit, it will be unlikely that the passing CB will arm tackle cassel.......he then takes a couple of steps outside and its uh-oh for the defense since there are open targets galore since by then the coverage will have broken down......it also depends on the WR who the blitzer was covering to break off into an inside slant.........

you just hope it doesn't happen on the same play an OT gets beat
What he said...

This has been a Blitz that seem to confuse the OL especially the Tackles who for some reason block down instead of to the outside. I know the Defenders gets paid too but this is a Blitz that just creates confusion with most Blocking Schemes, which i bet is by design. I think the empty Backfield is not a good formation against this because the QB becomes a sitting duck if the Free blitzer gets through. A RB or 3rd down Back should be in at all times to guard against this. Matt Cassel took some shots completing plays that defeated this blitz. But do we want Cassel to take those kind of shots vs Pittsburgh? I am sure Pittsburgh will see the tapes on how Miami came close a couple of times with that Blitz scheme and Pitt has a more sophisticated D. Food for thought.

Food for thought back. I think you combat that by having the WR take wider splits. A couple of yards wider and the CB must hesitate or else quick outs all day long. The safeties cheat over and you have the TE setting up shop behind the LB's up the seam.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back