PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do the Bengals keep all their key players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Same WRs, RBs, OLs the last few years.

Their QB just got one of the biggest contracts last season.

And they are one of the smallest market team, with one of the smallest payrolls.

How do the Bengals do it??? :confused:

They are very young. As their players reach free-agency they will experience the same cap problems as every good team.

They problably silently filled their remainder of the roster with junk players with ridiculously low salaries.

mikey said:

And they are one of the smallest market team, with one of the smallest payrolls.

Small market but that 70,000 seat stadium is sold out all the time. Plus in the NFL, market size isn't as critical because the NFL carries exclusively national TV contracts where every team gets the same size piece of the pie regardless of size.

They had the 28th best defense last year. Think that might be related to keeping their offense together?

mikey said:

What's this now, Mikey?

First you want the Pats to surround Brady like the Colts do with Manning.

Now you want to keep players just for the sake of keeping them like the Bengals do, and let other units suffer.

I'm guessing you also want to trade Branch for Ahmad Brooks, Odell Thurman, and Frostee Rucker?

C'mon Mikey. It's like you were under a rock from 2001-2004 and only emerged to see the Pats lose in Denver.

The Bengals and Colts have used flawed, failing philosophies.

Most of them are under house arrest and have to wear little bracelets on their ankles.:)

mikey said:

BJs from the cheerleaders?

pats1 said:
What's this now, Mikey?

First you want the Pats to surround Brady like the Colts do with Manning.

Now you want to keep players just for the sake of keeping them like the Bengals do, and let other units suffer.

I'm guessing you also want to trade Branch for Ahmad Brooks, Odell Thurman, and Frostee Rucker?

C'mon Mikey. It's like you were under a rock from 2001-2004 and only emerged to see the Pats lose in Denver.

The Bengals and Colts have used flawed, failing philosophies.

You can't say that about the Bengals. They have been building their defense, made it back to the playoffs last year for the first time in years and their quarterback got hurt on the first play. They are a young team, you can't say their system is flawed yet. Oh wait, they aren't the Patriots, I forgot. They are flawed.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
You can't say that about the Bengals. They have been building their defense, made it back to the playoffs last year for the first time in years and their quarterback got hurt on the first play. They are a young team, you can't say their system is flawed yet. Oh wait, they aren't the Patriots, I forgot. They are flawed.

I think any system that has a team openly embracing misfits and low-character guys is flawed.

Hard to take a post seriously that has a fan of the team that has won 3 of th elast 5 SBs acting jealous of the organization that is the mighty Bungles.

RayClay said:
Most of them are under house arrest and have to wear little bracelets on their ankles.:)
Good one! :rofl:

AndyJohnson said:
Hard to take a post seriously that has a fan of the team that has won 3 of th elast 5 SBs acting jealous of the organization that is the mighty Bungles.

I highlighted the fallacy in that logic

pats1 said:
I think any system that has a team openly embracing misfits and low-character guys is flawed.
p1, buddy... I know you know better than that.
:trolls:

It's far too much to expect the caricature known as I'm Ron Borges? to acknowledge the postive comments and respect for certain parts of the Bengals team that various posters have made here. Remeber the only thing he seems to love more than dumping on the Patriots is dumping on Patriots Fans. I've been tickled pink that most of his attempts at trolling recently have been almost completely ignored. Let's build on that postive momentum. ;)

Small market or big market, doesn't matter, all teams are under the same cap rules.

scott99 said:
Small market or big market, doesn't matter, all teams are under the same cap rules.

But there is a difference. The ability to pay signing bonusses is tied to team revenues and profits. While all teams operate under the same cap numbers one that are able to freely pay signing bonusses get more bang for the buck:

Example:

Team A
Player 1 5 yr deal 20mill 8mill sb 500k 1st year salary
Player 2 4 yr deal 8 mill 3mill sb 500k 1st year salary

Total cap hit yr 1 3.35mill for both

Team B
Player 1 3 yr deal 6mill 1 mill sb, 1 mill first year salary
Player 2 5 yr deal 8 mill 2mill sb 1.5mill 1st year salary

Total cap hit first year 3.23

Clearly Team A was able to get better players

Team A spend 12mill on payroll, Team B spent 5.5mill

Over an entire roster, it is more difficult to build as much quality with a lesser payroll, even though you are spending to the cap, because the sb is the number that best relates to player quality vs the cap number. Plus, you get more NEW players at similar cap cost by having sb $$ to spend, while team without cash would hang on to higher priced (probably now overpriced) players at the same cap number rather than replace them with a younger better player that carries the same cap # but costs a new cash outlay of signing bonus.

dbabbitt said:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamSalary?categoryId=67041

Bengals 2006 salaries.

Chad Johnson's is suprisingly low.

Thats because its the first year of a new deal, so this years salary is low.
I assume those are cap numbers?
He got a huge sb so the first yr salary and cap number is the lowest of the deal. Players i the first year of a deal always look underpaid when looking only at the current year

AndyJohnson said:
Thats because its the first year of a new deal, so this years salary is low.
I assume those are cap numbers?
He got a huge sb so the first yr salary and cap number is the lowest of the deal. Players i the first year of a deal always look underpaid when looking only at the current year

Comparing them with the NFLPA database, they do look to be cap numbers.

Checking out the Pats and comparing them to Miguel's numbers, they don't match up at all.

And FoxSports' database looks be massively screwed up, or they're still working on it.

Check out the payroll numbers on the right, and click on one of the teams on the right with <50 mil. payroll. There's only a few players listed.

Last edited:
Yeah, sometimes I wonder how the Colts, Bengals and Broncos manage to keep all of their key vets....and then I realize that keeping a team together is easier if you haven't won a Super Bowl lately :) None of them have rings or SB MVP awards to flash around and raise their asking price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes