PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Do Patricia and BB Stop Seattle's O?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsDeb

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It seems like stopping Lynch would be the key to the game, but Wilson appears to have an accurate long ball. GB stopped everything early, then gave up plays late. Why did they break down? Tired out? Something started working? As I recall, we had a similar experience against Seattle. We were up on them early, then Brayd threw a pick, then Wilson started making plays. How do we prevent this from happening?

Is Wilson easily perssured? Our pass rush seems almost non-existent lately, but I don't know if that is by design. I really do not want to see another low scoring, defensive battle where we finally pull ahead by a few points late, only to have the other team march down the field & score the winning TD. Don't know if I could take that again...

I think it will start with stopping lynch. The pass rush will probably be more of the contain we've seen against some mobile qbs rather than an outright rush. If we stop lynch and their wrs can beat Revis and Browner in coverage, there wouldn't be much we could do, anyways.

I think the Pats match up well. Maybe I'm wrong. If Lynch can't get first downs I think they have an easy time. Easier said than done obviously. Probably every team they played had that plan.

Mix of man with zone. I'd bet Belichick tries to confuse RW with different looks and have guys drop back into coverage (Similar to DEN and Nink pick). Personally, I'd think you be successful putting Branch up the middle on passing situations, RW at 5'10 will have trouble throwing over AB and Jones. Keep RW in the pocket by forming a pocket, and maybe run a delayed stunt to confuse the less than great line of SEA.

I don't remember Lynch doing much against us when he was a Buffalo Bill. Then again, he may not have, ahem, eaten as 'healthy' then as he is now . . . (cough, cough).
Seattle has one of the highest rated run blocking in the league which im sure helps benefits. Some of the holes created is really good as you could see in the 4th qtr in the greenbay game.

Pass blocking is towards the bottom but I guess it doesn't matter much because Russel can play "back yard football"

two options imo

1. play man against their wrs and figure that revis and browner can take kearse and baldwin. stack the box and stop lynch while getting some pressure

2. do what we did against indy. only rush 3 or 4 guys, probably 3, and contain wilson. collins can spy, we can get in man or zone, and we can step up and lockdown like the other night

Lynch ran for only 60 yards against NE in 2012. I think we should be able to stop lynch, but the key will be baldwin and kearse's ability to get open as wilson extends plays with his feet.

Without getting into too much detail, there are 3 things the Pats will have to do to stop the Seattle offense and we saw them all on Sunday.

1. Stop Lynch in their regular run offense
2. Stop Lynch and Wilson in their read option offense
3. Keep Wilson in the pocket.

I'm gpoing to do an entire thread on this but the first thing they do is bring back the basic D. Get big. So we create a 4-3 with Jones, Wilfolk, Branch, Siliga up front, and Collins, Hightower, and Ninko at LB. This is a receiver corps that we can control without having to go to 5 DB's

Offense? Offense? What Offense? I was unaware that the Sea Hawks had an Offense.

Offense? Offense? What Offense? I was unaware that the Sea Hawks had an Offense.
They only have one late in games, but it can be deadly. Ask Green Bay...

I don't remember Lynch doing much against us when he was a Buffalo Bill. Then again, he may not have, ahem, eaten as 'healthy' then as he is now . . . (cough, cough).
I was thinking this earlier - wasn't Lynch not very effective against us when he was in Buffalo? But also, was he that big when he was in Buffalo? I guess he's learned to throw his weight around :)

Without getting into too much detail, there are 3 things the Pats will have to do to stop the Seattle offense and we saw them all on Sunday.

1. Stop Lynch in their regular run offense
2. Stop Lynch and Wilson in their read option offense
3. Keep Wilson in the pocket.

I'm gpoing to do an entire thread on this but the first thing they do is bring back the basic D. Get big. So we create a 4-3 with Jones, Wilfolk, Branch, Siliga up front, and Collins, Hightower, and Ninko at LB. This is a receiver corps that we can control without having to go to 5 DB's
Looking forward to it. Forget the other stuff - there's nothing we can do about it.

I think BB should have the NFL ask Lynch for a urine and blood sample. :cool:

Collins spies Wilson all game long with the occasional blitz. Hightower keeps an eye on Lynch all game long. On read-option plays tackle them both.

Secondary does what it does. None of their receivers really scare me.

It seems like stopping Lynch would be the key to the game, but Wilson appears to have an accurate long ball. GB stopped everything early, then gave up plays late. Why did they break down? .

I believe that the Packers broke down late because they started sending full house blitzes. The winning TD pass in overtime was a complete sell out to stop the run. No deep safety.

Seems to me that the key to stopping Seattle is gap discipline and edge contain discipline. That would suggest that the last thing you want to do is send a lot of blitzes. Jones and Ninko have to set the edges and keep Wilson from escaping the pocket. They can't be be biting to the center. The Patriots are usually really good at this kind of discipline, much to the dismay of all those who just want them to "blitz the passer".

I don't think Wilson can beat the Pats secondary from the pocket very often.

On read-option plays tackle them both.

For the life of me, I don't understand why defenses don't "jack up" Wilson every single time he hands off to Lynch and turns out like he's still got the ball on a keeper. As I understand the rules, he's a runner at that point and is given none of the QB protections. LBs can light him up. I don't think it would take many of those hits to take a little wind out of his sails.

Put them in 3rd and long situations and hit Lynch a lot.

For the life of me, I don't understand why defenses don't "jack up" Wilson every single time he hands off to Lynch and turns out like he's still got the ball on a keeper. As I understand the rules, he's a runner at that point and is given none of the QB protections. LBs can light him up. I don't think it would take many of those hits to take a little wind out of his sails.

Not sure if you noticed in the GB game, but he holds the ball a long time, before deciding on whether to leave it with Lynch or run it himself. That's fair game to me. May also lead to some turnovers in those situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots