PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How did your "binkies" of the 2009 Draft perform in the NFL ?(only 3 please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a great point. I don't know way but playing WR for the Pats is tremendously difficult. I think its the checks the WR's are asked to make at the line, they need to see what Brady sees or it just doesn't work.

That's exactly why. Not only do they have to make adjustments at the line based on what Brady sees, but they also have to make adjustments during the play. It takes a smart guy to pick up this system quickly, especially in their rookie season. Remember that it took even Moss and Welker some time before they were completely comfortable in this system.

That's exactly why. Not only do they have to make adjustments at the line based on what Brady sees, but they also have to make adjustments during the play. It takes a smart guy to pick up this system quickly, especially in their rookie season. Remember that it took even Moss and Welker some time before they were completely comfortable in this system.

Yeah I totally agree with you. I would take real pause before drafting another WR early unless I was very confident the kid was really intelligent. I think speed, quickness, etc. should be secondary considerations when judging potential WRs for the Pats. For me that would rule out Benn and Tate (See Jackson, Chad and Johnson, Bethel)

Yeah I totally agree with you. I would take real pause before drafting another WR early unless I was very confident the kid was really intelligent. I think speed, quickness, etc. should be secondary considerations when judging potential WRs for the Pats. For me that would rule out Benn and Tate (See Jackson, Chad and Johnson, Bethel)

Actually, you shouldn't rule out Tate. He played in a very similar system at Notre Dame, has speed, can catch passes out of the backfield and split wide, and is extremely intelligent. If he can be had in the early second round, I would definitely grab him as he would be the WR in the draft most likely to contribute right away.

Actually, you shouldn't rule out Tate. He played in a very similar system at Notre Dame, has speed, can catch passes out of the backfield and split wide, and is extremely intelligent. If he can be had in the early second round, I would definitely grab him as he would be the WR in the draft most likely to contribute right away.

I have a different take on Tate. Seemed to me he caught everything with the body and got open on pure speed. His big plays all seemed, again just my take, to come on screens and gos. I don't think that would cut it in the NFL. I'm also not a big believer in ND's scheme being the same as the Pats, maybe the bare bones of it are similar in philosophy but not the complexities.

I'd say my most consistent 3 objects of desire were Connor Barwin, Eric Wood and Jarron Gilbert, as seen here:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-realistic-dream-draft-page2.html#post1334137

Barwin showed good promise, though he certainly was not an impact player as a rookie. Wood was off to a good start until he had a nasty season-ending injury. Gilbert had an invisible rookie season. As a group, I'd give them a "meh."

(Though my late-round binkie Thomas Morstead had a solid season and was last seen kicking the Onside Kick Heard Round the World. Can we PLEASE find a new punter this year?)

Clay Matthews - What a beast, and he's only going to get better. 10 sacks for the Pack in his rookie season.
Shonn Greene - Put on a beastly show in the playoffs that propelled the Jets to an AFC Championship showdown with the Colts.
Darius Butler - Showed a lot of promise his rookie year and looks to be a future starter for the Patriots. Glad BB agreed with me on this one!

PS I liked Connor Barwin as well, but he hasn't shown much yet. It's probably tough for him to get minutes considering how good the Texans front 7 is.

Last edited:
Larry English (with Clay Matthews a close 2nd) - obviously English didn't really show much his rookie season.

Darius Butler - Very promising rookie. Has all the physical skills.

Louis Delmas - Was very disappointed we missed this kid by one pick to the Lions. He seems to always be in position making plays for them. The next Troy Polamalu IMO.

Eric Wood - as mentioned was looking good up until being placed on IR.

Last edited:
That is a great point. I don't know way but playing WR for the Pats is tremendously difficult. I think its the checks the WR's are asked to make at the line, they need to see what Brady sees or it just doesn't work.

As you said, for the Pas it's much harder because Brady and the receivers have to know what the other is thinking so they know which checks to go to.

From my understanding in talking to a former Pats WR, each WR has between 3 and 5 routes that he can run on any given play. And, as a receiver, you are expected to know what the other receivers are going to do as well so that you don't put yourself in the way of their route. Its one of the reasons Brady likes to sit down and review film with all of them.. So they can understand each others way of thinking.

Barwin, Sean Smith, Jarron Gilbert.

Those were my 3 "binkies". I don't really have a binky yet this year, though Mardy Gilyard has grown on me. As has Odrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back