PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How did your "binkies" of the 2009 Draft perform in the NFL ?(only 3 please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DW Toys

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I just would like to see how we all compare with our 2008 "binkie" picks and how the made an impact (or not) on their new NFL teams. Use only three. Let's compare them to what they could have done here. These were picks that each member of this forum thought would help the Pats pre 2009 Draft. Did your picks work out?
My picks were:
1-Clay Matthews OLB -Superb and we could have had him
2-Michael Johnson DE-Does start for the Bengals but had three sacks and five pass break ups as a DE (he is 6'8") in limited action
3-Austin Collie WR-They passed him up way too many times. Big mistake here

DW Toys

Last edited:
A good topic, but...DW Toys, in your mock from a week before the draft you chose to pass on Matthews, too. And on Johnson. And Collie. Here's your actual haul from the first 3 rounds:

Jarron Gilbert
James Casey
Paul Kruger
Eric Cook (probably meant Eric Wood?)
Rashad Jennings
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...7720-round-1-3-mock-trade-rama-nfl-draft.html

Care to tally their rookie years? ;)

Maybe this year we should have a thread before the draft declaring the 3 binkies we're prepared to be judged by a year later?

Would have loved to have drafted Collie as well, but hey, 30 other teams passed on him too many times last year as well.

Dry Heat liked him though: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...13/223209-possible-late-round-priorities.html

Uncle Heatster had Collie as a #15 WR; Tate was #11 and Edelman #19: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...229282-2009-uncle-heatster-vertical-sort.html

DW Toys has a Trade-a-Rama, with Collie going to Denver at #68 overall: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england.../232513-trade-rama-ii-something-consider.html

Dry Heat had Collie going at #131 overall to Arizona: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...232036-fifth-annual-u-h-seven-round-mock.html

MayoClinic liked eithe Collie, Mike Wallace or Brandon Gibson at #124: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/226432-nice-ol-article.html

Darius Butler - decent start, promising career

Jeremy Maclin - not bad, great WR's in Philly

Connor Barwin - remains to be seen, not a bad rookie season.

A good topic, but...DW Toys, in your mock from a week before the draft you chose to pass on Matthews, too. And on Johnson. And Collie. Here's your actual haul from the first 3 rounds:

Jarron Gilbert
James Casey
Paul Kruger
Rashad Jennings
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...7720-round-1-3-mock-trade-rama-nfl-draft.html

Maybe this year we should have a thread before the draft declaring the 3 binkies we're prepared to be judged by a year later?

Good point. I did about six of them in various sites and threads. Saw Gilbert, Casey (hurt) and Kruger all play but minimal. I believe Wood started for the Bills as a first rounder and got hurt. Jennings was with the Jaguars. Had a couple hundred yards but over a five yard plus average. Wood was my only hit in that "Trade a Rama". These guys above made their teams but not much production. Casey and Wood and Kruger have a future it appears. Gilbert is still a question mark. Jennings was a throw in but played more than the rest.
DW Toys

Aaron Curry-Okay season, 61 tackles and a couple of sacks on a bad Seattle team
Brian Cushing- DROY, Pro Bowler
Percy Harvin- OROY, Pro Bowler

Jarron Gilbert
James Casey
Paul Kruger
Rashad Jennings

good catch. Everyone should have picks in a mock draft to back their top 3.

Post combine: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-combine-draft-game-youre-gm.html#post1306304
Clay Matthews - Pro Bowl
Ziggy Hood - Didn't live up to first year expectations, but could still pan out
Sean Smith - Starter in Miami

In April: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...5-your-realistic-dream-draft.html#post1334072
Clint Sintim - I liked this guy over Matthews as I got closer to the draft. He looked great in the preseason, but just couldn't break the starting lineup. He could still pan out
James Laurinaitis - 16 game starter
Patrick Chung - no explanation
Eric Wood - Week 1 starter. Drafted higher then expected

Beanie Wells
Austin Collie
Tyrell Sutton

Percy Harvin - OROY and Pro Bowl. Thought he'd be an amazing asset in the passing game as the #3 WR.
Rey Maualuga - pretty good for Cincy, wanted to see him and Mayo together inside, he was missed in the playoffs vs the Jets.
Brandon Tate - Couldn't stay on the field. Had high hopes for him as a potential #3 WR and a KR. Was comparable to Harvin pre-ACL tear.

I also liked Heyward-Bey who I thought was a bit raw but with the right coaching could develop into a very good WR. He's probably in the worst situation for that "coaching help" LOL.

Also wanted Sean Smith at CB. Liked his size, thought he'd be a good physical press corner who had good ball skills and pretty fluid hips. I'd consider his rookie season pretty successful. He outperformed 1st rounder Vontate Davis (who I also liked hahaha).

Last edited:
Well I wasn't here pre-draft last year but I wanted us to use our first round pick on Kenny Britt who had a decent first season.
I also wanted the Patriots to take Duke Robinson, I always thought he would fall to the third round, he went in the fifth and didn't play participate in a regular season game.
My other binkie was Alphonso Smith who went to the Broncos, he didn't start but played some games.

I usually look for value picks though, I would only have one real binkie and for me that was Kenny Britt and I still think he will have an excellent career in the NFL.

My binkie this year is Golden Tate, I'd do whatever it takes to get him.

My binky was the Panthers 1st round pick in 2010 (turned out to be #16 or #17). I was sure the Pats would trade out of #23 and I was sure the Panthers would trade their 2010 #1 to recoup the 2009 #1 they traded away. It was just too perfect not to happen.

For those of you longing to be in range of getting McClain or Spiller, just remember what could have been.

#1 James Laurinaitis, went one pick aftter chung. to the rams and had 120 tackels 2 sacks and 2 INT's would have been nice to see him and mayo. clogging the middle of the field for the next 3 or 4 years.

#2 butler, he had a nice season for the pats and im looking for him to have a great year this year.

#3 Mike Wallace, WR. went one pick after Brandon Tate, to the steelers and had 39 rec 756 yerds and 3 TD's and looks to be big bens #1 WR this year. Wallace, would have been a big help to brady, who pretty much did not have a #3 WR to throw to. tate may make some plays this year on ST's and maybe catch a deep ball or 2 but he was no help at all in 2009.

I just would like to see how we all compare with our 2008 "binkie" picks and how the made an impact (or not) on their new NFL teams. Use only three. Let's compare them to what they could have done here. These were picks that each member of this forum thought would help the Pats pre 2009 Draft. Did your picks work out?
My picks were:
2-Michael Johnson DE-Does start for the Bengals but had three sacks and five pass break ups as a DE (he is 6'8") in limited action

DW Toys

Binkie?
Got to come up with another word dude.

Shonn Greene. Looking like a terrific young back. I seem to remember calling him Corey Dillon MKII. Gutted.

Patrick Chung. Decent rookie year, may well be a starter next year.

Marko Mitchell. Looking at PFF, he had just 67 snaps all year. Hopefully Shanny sees the talent and play-making ability in him.

1. Rey Mauluaga: was my uber-binky and didn't think BB would let his low Wonderlic/supposed lack of "fit" in our system (?) overshadow his talent and much needed nastiness at LB. I'm going to use his DUI as proof that it was solely character questions that kept BB from pulling the trigger. :snob:

2. Malcolm Jenkins: think he will be much better than Butler when all's said and done. Forget if he was available at #23.

3. Michael Crabtree: knew we had no chance of getting him; his holdout and association with Deion and Michael Irvin were definitely disappointing. But given our WR situation now, a trade-up to #10 to get him might be looking pretty damn good right now. (We'll be very lucky to get 1 more productive year out of Moss IMO).

Last edited:
Kenny Britt:

42 receptions, 3 TDs

Kenny Britt

Thought he had the best hands of the whole class and was the fastest of the class too. Wish we had him.

Johnny Knox:

45 receptions, 5 TDs

Johnny Knox - Chicago Bears - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Great speed and hands. Had a great year for the Bears, IMO.

Scott McKillop:

"Scott McKillop made his presence felt on special teams leading the team with 31 special teams tackles. He also provided depth at ILB." San Francisco 49ers: Scott McKillop

I thought he had ideal size for the Patriots and was a tackling machine for Pitt.

Kenny Britt:

42 receptions, 3 TDs

Kenny Britt

Thought he had the best hands of the whole class and was the fastest of the class too. Wish we had him.

Johnny Knox:

45 receptions, 5 TDs

Johnny Knox - Chicago Bears - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Great speed and hands. Had a great year for the Bears, IMO.

Scott McKillop:

"Scott McKillop made his presence felt on special teams leading the team with 31 special teams tackles. He also provided depth at ILB." San Francisco 49ers: Scott McKillop

I thought he had ideal size for the Patriots and was a tackling machine for Pitt.

McKillop was a good one. I think we missed that one too.
DW Toys

Louis Delmas
William Beatty
Sean Smith

Almost forgot Jason Williams. I LOVED Jason Williams. Stupid.

Last edited:
My picks were:

DW Toys

Collie was great for the Colts for a few reasons. The first is, obviously, the fact that he played with Peyton Manning. Manning is a good quarterback and can make most receivers look good. The second reason is that the Colts offensive system is pretty much exactly the same as BYU's. The third is that the Colts' system is ridiculously bland/easy to pick up. It consists of running go routes, crossing patterns, hitches, and slants. That's it. The only adjustment that he would have to make depends on Manning anyway. He calls the audibles at the LOS. Collie would have probably had a MUCH tougher time picking up our offensive system just because it is much more complex than the one the Colts run. Could he have done it? Possibly. But the Pats, under Belichick, have only seen two guys pick up the system and have successful rookie seasons. Those were Deion Branch and Julian Edelman. Even then, both guys still had somewhat of a leash on them in terms of the routes they ran.

Collie was great for the Colts for a few reasons. The first is, obviously, the fact that he played with Peyton Manning. Manning is a good quarterback and can make most receivers look good. The second reason is that the Colts offensive system is pretty much exactly the same as BYU's. The third is that the Colts' system is ridiculously bland/easy to pick up. It consists of running go routes, crossing patterns, hitches, and slants. That's it. The only adjustment that he would have to make depends on Manning anyway. He calls the audibles at the LOS. Collie would have probably had a MUCH tougher time picking up our offensive system just because it is much more complex than the one the Colts run. Could he have done it? Possibly. But the Pats, under Belichick, have only seen two guys pick up the system and have successful rookie seasons. Those were Deion Branch and Julian Edelman. Even then, both guys still had somewhat of a leash on them in terms of the routes they ran.

That is a great point. I don't know way but playing WR for the Pats is tremendously difficult. I think its the checks the WR's are asked to make at the line, they need to see what Brady sees or it just doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back