PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How did you guys contain Randy Moss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think TO would behave in New England.

I really don't.

He doesn't even seem to recognize that he has blown up 3 QBs in the past, and there's a pattern. There's a level of stupidity at work.

As nutty as Chad Johnson is on the Bungals, I think he would toe the line with the Pats. He want to win, and the Bengals just don't.

Owens was mentored by Rice, who, for all his success, was a whining diva (ask most 49ers fans about that) but intimidated and mentored Owens as a rookie. Once Rice was gone, Owens stepped into that role and has been there ever since. That diva-ness is so a part of who he is that I suspect nobody can make him a team player now. He is one of the few players I would genuinely cringe about if there was news he was going to the Pats.

Last edited:
I am not 100% certain it is Moss>TO as much as BB>Wade and Kraft > JJ. I think TO would behave here.

I think this is bingo. Kraft does not inject himself into the football end. He doesn't go out and get players whom his coach can't live with. He is not the kind of owner, as far as I can tell, who would countenance players going behind the coach's back or who would undercut his coach. BB is boss and the guy who signs the checks makes that clear every chance he gets. Moss knows this and he clearly respects both Kraft and Belichick

I highly doubt TO would behave here. He's is a freakin' mess. I do believe his antics would not be tolerated here for one second and that is why there is no chance in hell of him ever coming to this team.

It's not just that Randy is smarter than TO (which he is). The whole Pats organization is too smart for TO.

I think this is bingo. Kraft does not inject himself into the football end. He doesn't go out and get players whom his coach can't live with. He is not the kind of owner, as far as I can tell, who would countenance players going behind the coach's back or who would undercut his coach. BB is boss and the guy who signs the checks makes that clear every chance he gets. Moss knows this and he clearly respects both Kraft and Belichick

According to Kraft, he overruled BB exactly four times.

First time, was the 4th round of the 2000 draft, BB wanted to draft this scrawny QB out of MI. Bob didn't think the Pats needed another QB.

Second time was the 5th round of the 2000 draft, the scrawny kid was still avaiable.

Third time was with the Pats 1st 6th round draft pick, the kid was still available. Finally with the Pats 2nd 6th round draft pick, Kraft let BB grab the kid just to keep his coach happy. But figuring the kid wouldn't make it thru camp.

Fourth time was the beginning of 2001 season. BB wanted to start the 2nd year QB out of Michigan and use the pro-bowl Bledsoe as a backup or trade him.

Kraft has since concluded BB knows more about football than he does.

First time, was the 4th round of the 2000 draft, BB wanted to draft this scrawny QB out of MI. Bob didn't think the Pats needed another QB.

Second time was the 5th round of the 2000 draft, the scrawny kid was still avaiable.

Third time was with the Pats 1st 6th round draft pick, the kid was still available. Finally with the Pats 2nd 6th round draft pick, Kraft let BB grab the kid just to keep his coach happy. But figuring the kid wouldn't make it thru camp.

Fourth time was the beginning of 2001 season. BB wanted to start the 2nd year QB out of Michigan and use the pro-bowl Bledsoe as a backup or trade him.

Your making this stuff up right. I have never heard this.

i have never heard this either, but if its true, its funny as hell

btw, this isnt a compare TO to Moss thread

Brady goes down, an unproven backup comes in, the Pats have numerous other injuries...you would think Moss' old ugly rear-end would emerge, right?

But you guys subsequently go 9-5, and Moss quietly has another solid season with no detriments in the locker room...and this is for real??

How did you guys pull it off?

i dont think the pats do anything to contain moss. he is a good teammate which is the basic difference between him and TO which media doesnt realize and keeps referring to them both in the same -ve fashion as locker room cancer.
read this article
Moss pays a return visit to Oakland

how much +ve stuff the raider players say abt moss

His teammates voted him Captain for a reason. They believe in him. He's basically a good guy and as a captain he does not want to let his team down. Watch him rally the troops on the sidelines during the games. Cool stuff and certainly nothing you would expect from Randy - or so the media would have you beleive.

The leadership in the locker room is of course a factor. However IMO Moss respects BB, I am sure that BB articulated Moss's role and why his role had changed after Brady was hurt. He believes in BB when it comes to football and winning.

Another issue is that with Moss on this team not all of the pressure is on him. On the Vikings and Raiders everyone expected Moss to be the franchise savior, and to make the whole team better a la Jordan, placing a lot of pressure on him. But that just doesn't work as well in football as it does in basketball. Here he's not asked to do more than just his job, easing back on the amount of pressure to a healthy level, and allowing him to focus on just playing well.

Also, even though this isn't a Moss > TO thread, I still love how Parcells didn't even really talk to TO in Dallas, he had so little respect for the whiny baby.

In general I think our FO/BB does an unbelievable job discerning character when choosing it's players; that's really where it all begins imo. The Patriots organization isn't some rehab center that takes in talented nutcases and straightens them out; they pick and choose their candidates pretty carefully and have had great success so far. Corey,Randy,Rodney-all huge success stories.

As to Randy- timing seems to play a big role also. BB had his eye on Moss for something like a year or even 2 before 07, and Randy was initially asking 10 million-a price the Pats weren't willing to pony up for someone who was at the time perceived to be a slacker with too much 'tude. Randy just wasn't ready for this place yet, and when he was BB swooped in just like those buzzards at the Raider game lol.

It really wasn't until later that Randy wanted in badly enough to ink the original prove-it contract, and we're all glad he did:D

T(sniff..he's my QB)O? No way. By the time he gets his attitude and "issues" all straightened out he'll be too old to play:p

First off, slightly off topic, I'm sure y'all heard that story last week of how Jason Witten may have been the source who leaked info about TO to Ed Werder, then another story came out that he had a near-altercation with TO in the locker room. Anyhow-PFT ran a story that both Witten and Parcells have the same agent, and that Parcells, who prolly left the Cowboys on lukewarm terms(prolly b/c Jerry didn't want to release TO and/or didn't get the extension he wanted), probably helped engineer all this through his agent and Witten to get revenge on Jerry. I'm beginning to wonder too-if Parcells really had something to do with this, I've lost all my respect for him(of course, you guys had him a decade ago and he back-stabbed the Pats prior to their biggest game of the year).

Anyhow-interesting comments by all. This whole hoopla last week started off by Jerry hitting the airwaves questioning Marion Barber's toughness(he missed the Pitt game b/c of an injured toe), and that itself may have been the tip of the iceberg as the flood broke open subsequently. From what you guys say, it doesn't sound like Kraft nor Pioli would do the same to their players.

Scouting and researching players...interesting...some teams out there, even the better ones, end up taking chances on character issues players(although not to the extent of Jerry). Accountability among coaches, leadership in the locker room, making sure stuff doesn't leak out of the locker room, etc.

BTW-just a food for thought-remember when the Niners fired Mooch in '03(despite making strides) to appease TO? And remember when Dennis Erickson got hired b/c he simply said in his interview, "I'm going to get TO the ball more"(Seriously, he said that)? Let's say, the season ends on a crashing note for the Cowboys, and Jerry decides to suck it up and keep TO...and he appeases him by putting Jason Witten on the trading block. IF IF IF this happens, what would Belichick/Pioli offer? Maybe the 3rd from San Diego you have + Vince Wilfork? Or a 2nd + Brandon Merriweather? Just having fun...

I am not 100% certain it is Moss>TO as much as BB>Wade and Kraft > JJ. I think TO would behave here.

I'd have to disagree.
T.O. is a total P.O.S.
A jerk in every way that I can see.
If he has any redeeming qualities, I'd like to know what they are.

You begin to wonder if Belichick could have had T.O. under control,even if Brady were injured like he is this year.

I think there are two answers to this:

1- Moss isn't TO. TO is a cancer who seems to thrive on throwing people under the bus and undermining team leaders. The guy's a headcase. Moss is a little immature, but, in the right surroundings, understands that it's on him to do his part. As long as he's playing for Belichick, I expect him to be held in check.

2- The Patriots simply don't tolerate TO-type outbursts. You would never see Kraft publicly validating Moss if he started making the statements that TO made, and, if Moss did for some reason start going after Cassel, he'd have to answer to Belichick, Brady, Welker, Light, Faulk, Harrison, Seymour, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seau, and Wilfork. I think it's safe to say that none of those guys would tolerate it. I'm not saying that the Cowboys have a bad locker room or anything, but I do think that it was a mistake for Romo not to strongly, indisputably, and perhaps viciously assert his authority VERY early on.

Also, if you've lost all respect for Parcells, join the club. You won't find many Parcells fans here. The guy's a self-promoting sleazebag who's hopefully now realizing that he was lucky enough to have Belichick around for the best years of his career. Belichick is twice the man and twice the coach Parcells ever was.

I don't think TO would behave in New England.

I really don't.

He doesn't even seem to recognize that he has blown up 3 QBs in the past, and there's a pattern. There's a level of stupidity at work.

I'll agree with that. Of course, the Patriots' FO would never bring him on board, but if for some reason the commissioner mandated (as some kind of a sick attempt at undermining the team) that TO play for the Pats, I doubt he'd last a month. The Pats' leaders would be fitting him with cement shoes after a few weeks.

Last edited:
First off, slightly off topic, I'm sure y'all heard that story last week of how Jason Witten may have been the source who leaked info about TO to Ed Werder, then another story came out that he had a near-altercation with TO in the locker room. Anyhow-PFT ran a story that both Witten and Parcells have the same agent, and that Parcells, who prolly left the Cowboys on lukewarm terms(prolly b/c Jerry didn't want to release TO and/or didn't get the extension he wanted), probably helped engineer all this through his agent and Witten to get revenge on Jerry. I'm beginning to wonder too-if Parcells really had something to do with this, I've lost all my respect for him(of course, you guys had him a decade ago and he back-stabbed the Pats prior to their biggest game of the year).

Anyhow-interesting comments by all. This whole hoopla last week started off by Jerry hitting the airwaves questioning Marion Barber's toughness(he missed the Pitt game b/c of an injured toe), and that itself may have been the tip of the iceberg as the flood broke open subsequently. From what you guys say, it doesn't sound like Kraft nor Pioli would do the same to their players.

Scouting and researching players...interesting...some teams out there, even the better ones, end up taking chances on character issues players(although not to the extent of Jerry). Accountability among coaches, leadership in the locker room, making sure stuff doesn't leak out of the locker room, etc.

BTW-just a food for thought-remember when the Niners fired Mooch in '03(despite making strides) to appease TO? And remember when Dennis Erickson got hired b/c he simply said in his interview, "I'm going to get TO the ball more"(Seriously, he said that)? Let's say, the season ends on a crashing note for the Cowboys, and Jerry decides to suck it up and keep TO...and he appeases him by putting Jason Witten on the trading block. IF IF IF this happens, what would Belichick/Pioli offer? Maybe the 3rd from San Diego you have + Vince Wilfork? Or a 2nd + Brandon Merriweather? Just having fun...

Dont believe what PFT suggests. It is absurd that parcells would do it and even more absurd witten will use it to break his own team. Witten is the good guy here i think , dont let PFT cloud your judgement. Florio's job is to create controversy. You think parcells wouldve instead asked witten to hold out and get to miami instead of asking him screw his own team.

Maybe he's really just an easy going type of guy who's happy being in a team with a winning mentality and respect that has been earned throughout the organisation. That makes a world of difference to an athlete, to be in a team that are winners and that doesn't always mean finishing the season with a trophy. If everybody's pulling the in the same direction then you join in. He seems chilled and settled here with the pressure shared.

T.O. is a flat out clown, guys like him you just can't control, coach or teach because everything is about Terrell Owens. If, for some strange reason he read my post the main gripe about him wouldn't hit home, he'd just be happy I'd said his name because thats what he's all about.

Last edited:
I've seen Randy smile and joke with his teamates as we were losing a game (just as he's done while we're winning). I think he genuinely likes the other guys on this team and the atmosphere that the organization provides.

I may be biased since I've cheered him on since Minnesota, but I didn't see anything about him coming to New England that should have had people worried.

Minnesota? He was setting records in Minnesota. He was sick of the team underachieving and not doing a thing about it. Their owner, Red McCombs, was a used car salesman, and bought the team strictly to gain a profit. He wasn't in it to win it.

Oakland? The situation explains itself. He went to a place where it was perceived that they were committed to winning, and had a passionate owner. As we found out, Oakland is the worst run franchise in the NFL, if not in all of sports. If there is a place that can suck the life and drive out of you, it's Oakland or Detroit. No player who wants to win would be content with being part of such a miserable franchise showing no signs of improving. If someone was happy there, I'd question their motivation (money) or work ethic.

Moss didn't sign there as a free agent. And I don't see him doing it unless Davis sold him hard on making the team a contender again.

New England? Great ownership. Great coaches. Recent history of winning. He is in an environment where he can do what he does best. Get open, catch passes, catch touchdowns, and help his team win games. This franchise has proven that they are committed to winning. They aren't striving to just make money and field a mediocre, one dimensional team. The only thing I am shocked at from his tenure in New England is how badly he tore it up in his first year. I knew he didn't lose anything physically in Oakland, and was excited for him to shut the naysayers and TO-comparisons up, but he even surprised me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back