PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How did you guys contain Randy Moss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Brady goes down, an unproven backup comes in, the Pats have numerous other injuries...you would think Moss' old ugly rear-end would emerge, right?

But you guys subsequently go 9-5, and Moss quietly has another solid season with no detriments in the locker room...and this is for real??

How did you guys pull it off?

Is this a response to what's happening with TO?

I think it's just the very unmissable sense of team here. No one is above anyone else in principle. This season has proven the importance of every last guy on the team.

Randy knows this team wins games, hardships or not. That makes a difference.
The Boys lose one guy and start to slide. That probably doesn't help over there.

Great question. Well as great as Tom Brady is, he's not the only leader on this team. Guys like Kevin Faulk & Tedy Bruschi were here b4 Tom & are huge influences throughout this TEAM.

Last edited:
Brady goes down, an unproven backup comes in, the Pats have numerous other injuries...you would think Moss' old ugly rear-end would emerge, right?

But you guys subsequently go 9-5, and Moss quietly has another solid season with no detriments in the locker room...and this is for real??

funny u should mentino this...

i remember couple of pats fans on here worrying about Moss too when Brady went down

the only thing i can really think of is that, Randy Moss, as many negative things hes done, and as evil as the media paints him, really isnt that bad of a person

Let's be honest for a second though, Randy has never been the distraction or team cancer that T.O. has been literally every place he has played. Randy had a lot of growing up to do in Minnesota and I think he's done that, in Oakland the whole team gave up and continues to do so, and he's found it all come together in New England. T.O. is immature and overly-emotional, and it shows in his tantrums.

My guess would be the commitment to the team concept. Everybody on the team does everything they can to prepare for a game. There is no slacking, people don't remain on this team if they aren't 100% committed to winning the next game.

Randy excels in this kind of atmosphere, because he is confident that everybody from management to the ball boy are all on the same page and the content of that page is winning the next game.

Randy appreciates that more than anything else because he has been on teams where that has not been the case and it is really hard to focus and give everything you got when other people on the team are off doing their own thing or the management and the coaches are at odds etc.

Team concept all the way.

the only thing i can really think of is that, Randy Moss, as many negative things hes done, and as evil as the media paints him, really isnt that bad of a person

Reading that made me think maybe it's a matter of him being "home" now. Seems like this team lets the media paint whatever they want and just keeps on lunch-pailing it.

Obviously we have no more access to the locker room than you.

First off, my sense is he hasn't always given 100% this season. But you are right he has not been a distraction despite the problems.

Here is my theory of why:

1. Moss's complaint was never that the folks around him were injured, or the team wasn't winning. His complaint was that the folks around him didn't have a winning attitude and weren't giving it their all. Cassel isn't as talented as Brady but he is just as hard working.

2. Bill Bellichick. No way was he going to take that crap.

3. The rest of the team. They would not have stood for it either.

4. Moss doesn't want out of NE. Name a team that gives him a better chance at winning a ring next year than the Patriots with a healthy Brady.

5. Maybe in #4 you came up with a team or two. Now name a team that has a better chance at winning the SB in 2010, that would trade for Randy IF Randy pulled that crap in NE this year.

6. NEP are still in the hunt and have a winning record.

If he pulled any of that crap he greatly reduces his chances of ever getting a ring. And it would make him into a lier and a fraud. He never complained about others have legit injuries. Is anybody going to believe Moss if claims BB is no longer in a competitive mindset.

The Pats did their homework on Moss. They found out what kind of guy he was in the lockerroom and made sure his past problems were not going to be an issue if he came to New England. Moss is a guy who prospers under a rigid structure and strong leadership.

For that reason, the Pats would never had touched TO with a ten foot pole. That is why Parcells never wanted TO and probably retired from coaching because he basically gave Jones a TO or me type of scenario and Jones chose TO.

Answer: Bill Belichick, Ernie Adams, the Patriots system, work ethic of the rest of the Pats.

Last edited:
Moss is a sane person

Owens is insane...with a galaxy of mental problems

Moss is a sane person

BINGO!
Sure, the atmosphere in NE helps.
But bottom line is Moss is an O.K. guy, while T.O. is a freaking clown.

I agree with most of the above and have to add that it turned out that Cassel is pretty good. Sure his long ball blows and part of Moss' game has been taken away but from the short to the longer intermediate range Cassel is good so Moss can know he can have a good season without Brady. He's on pace for about 11,00 yards and 11 TDs. If Cassel had sucked and Moss was playing with another Andrew Walter then things could have been different - although not as bad as Owens.

Moss is a sane person

I am not 100% certain it is Moss>TO as much as BB>Wade and Kraft > JJ. I think TO would behave here.

Maybe Bruschi and Vrabel threatened to go Full Metal Jacket on him and make him their own personal Private Pyle....:confused2:

There's no answer to this. No one really knows.

Is it the difference between Moss and Owens? Could be. Moss on a losing team with very little coming his way? He could have been frustrated.

Is it the difference between Phillips and Belichick? BB might be more respected and feared than Phillips is.

It is surprising to see Owens go after Romo, given the history with McNabb and Garcia. You'd think he would be aware that this is a pattern with him.

At the end of the day, say what you want about the media perception of both players, but at the very least: Moss is smarter.

That means he recognizes the reality of the situation, and he adjusts accordingly.

I don't think TO would behave in New England.

I really don't.

He doesn't even seem to recognize that he has blown up 3 QBs in the past, and there's a pattern. There's a level of stupidity at work.

it starts at the top. jerry jones needs to be the owner not the wannabe coach and wannabe scout. the next tier is pioli/belichick v. son of bum. then you have the teams and the individuals themselves. you can also mix in the fact that owens is whacked out and it doesn't take a genius to see where this was headed.

I think everything mentioned is a factor but the real factor here is that Randy Moss wants to win, put up numbers, and be the greatest and NE offers him everything he needs and no injury to anyone changes that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes