PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How did Seau/Colvin look yesterday? General observations on the defense yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSYLICIOUS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't seen any 'thoughts/observations' threads from those who saw the game. Please post any you have here, or general observations from the defense if you saw the game. From following the game online they were dominant early on then let up when we got the big lead.

I've only got to watch the defense twice since AD went down, vs. the Jets and Steelers. Against the Steelers they seemed to be making strides compared to the Jets game.

Re: How did Seau/Colvin look yesterday? General observations on the defense yesterday

I think losing Guyton affected the D more than one would expect. Sure hope he's ok.

Re: How did Seau/Colvin look yesterday? General observations on the defense yesterday

Seau got toasted a few times by McFadden, but in truth. Seau gets a pass from me for quite a bit. The guy should be sipping Corona on the beach, but chose to come back and play for a team that needed him. Anything we get from him is Bonus time. I do hope Guyton is okay though, cuz at this point Seau is a Major step down.

Colvin, looked a little rusty to be expected but then again........ I expected that. Against Oakland, his play was enough. But I'd worry against really strong teams. He did make some good plays though.

I'm sure others more knowledgeable will chime in, but these were my impressions.

Last edited:

I think Colvin looked solid. Always around the ball. He certainly isn't getting to the QB like he used to, but hopefully he will be able to gain more confidence as the days pass.

Seau was good inside the tackles, but on any sweep or screen he looked lost. Can't expect him to run with McFadden though.

I think losing Guyton affected the D more than one would expect. Sure hope he's ok.
Guyton twisted his ankle, he should be okay, I think they left him out because it was Oakland.

Seau = Bruschi. The brain is still there and leads to nice plays, but the bod is dragging just a tad too much.

Colvin doesn't have the same explosiveness, but he was Rosie Hustle (Charlie's little brother) yesterday, making plays with his head, technique, and some residual athletic ability.

I'm proud to have both players here.

I think Colvin looked solid. Always around the ball. He certainly isn't getting to the QB like he used to, but hopefully he will be able to gain more confidence as the days pass.

Seau was good inside the tackles, but on any sweep or screen he looked lost. Can't expect him to run with McFadden though.

I agree here. Seau also looked lost in coverage - he had some trouble following the TE on one play, and his head was swinging around, looking for someone - anyone - to cover, it looked like.

Like you said, good between the tackles, but a liability outside and in coverage.

We'll have a better idea of where the defense stands this upcoming Sunday.

Personally, I find it interesting that Colvin is not part of the nickel. The team is opting to go bigger using 3 DL to pass rush. Colvin forced some QB pressure yesterday when he was in there in the base 3-4, but that may be b/c the rightside of that Raiders line was a joke. Either way, I thought Colvin looked pretty decent out there.

Last edited:

It's a very good point. He missed a few angles though as if he misread his speed. the slippery turf probably didn't help to much either.

Not sure if it means anything at all, but Colvin did not fly home with the team. I crossed paths with him at SFO. Told him "good game" and "great to have you back" which he replied thanks to.

I agree with the Seau & Colvin assessments posted here. I watched them specificly. Seau is still strong against the run inside the tackles. In space he's toast. Colvin was bringing it. Never quite got there but the pressure was there. Better than I'd feared he'd be. I really respect their contributions.

Like others said, what both Seau and Colvin are doing are admirable. Keep in mind that they've been with the team less than 2 weeks, so essentially this is their "training" camp. Hopefully they shake off some rust if they Patriots make the playoffs.

I thought Colvin looked decent. I thought Seau looked a few steps behind but I don't think this is his having lost a step as much as him having had offseason surgery, no TC, and no Preseason. Don't forget Colvin had training camp.

All in all it is hard to say anyone did bad as we were in auto pilot after getting up 3 scores

These guys are gonna be fine come play offs.:cool:

I thought Colvin was solid considering the guy has only played 1.5 games. i thought he made big strides from the seattle game to this past week.

I think we should sign him for next year.

Everyone on that defense sucks balls (excluding D-Line and Mayo). You know your defense sucks when you give up 330+ yards and 26 points to the RAIDERS! Lots of additions need to be made in the offseason.

Last edited:

Everyone on that defense sucks balls (excluding D-Line and Mayo). You know your defense sucks when you give up 330+ yards and 26 points to the RAIDERS! Lots of additions need to be made in the offseason.

And you could do better? Being a JAG NFL player is still an amazing athletic feat, especially when there's some added degree of difficulty like youth, age, or rust.

Excluding the four guys you named, exactly TWO of the other starters (Hobbs, Vrabel) was a starter at the beginning of the season.

5 replacement starters. 6 when Warren sits. Some of the backups have been replaced too.

They both knew what to do - but they are slow doing it.

didnt look great. its hard to tell because the raiders are so bad. i think they might get exposed this upcoming week

Seau looks good, but just like everyone else said. He's fine inside. But in space when he has to chase a guy down or cover a TE, he's not one to be depended on. Again, for a guy as old as he is playing his 2nd game I'm happy with his play for him.

Colvin on the other hand looked alright himself. Didn't notice him doing anything particularly wrong, although he JUST missed a sack because he didn't grab enough jersey. Other than that, solid for a guy who just signed.

Defense still just looks embarrasing.

"troll, go away" is what someone wrote on my reputation. Who wants to man up and say who did it? Another person gets offended because I said the defense isn't any good. Even when they were healthy, they weren't any good.

I'm guessing it's Fencer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill