PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How did Santonio Holmes do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoWesleyan

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I didn't see the Steelers game but see that he only had 1 catch for 6 yards. That's not so good.

Did he play?

Were they quality yards :) ? How did he look?

I thought he actually looked better than I was expecting. Dude is HUGE. Similar build to Boldin. Can see why Steelers grabbed him.

I think he dropped a pass, but that one pass he caught, I was struck by how atheltic & big he was. We'll see if that translates into on field production, but he is def. a physical speciman.

I think he was also returning kicks, looked so-so at that. But if Steelers coach him up properly, he will be an excellent complement to Ward.

He looked like a first rate moron. Especially in the special teams aspect.

Several times he signaled for a fiar catch, let it bounce, then went and touched the ball and did not get control of it, nearly resulting in turn-overs.

14thDragon said:

Several times he signaled for a fiar catch, let it bounce, then went and touched the ball and did not get control of it, nearly resulting in turn-overs.
Don't forget he caught a punt on, like, the 2 yard line.

tombonneau said:
Dude is HUGE. Similar build to Boldin.
:confused:

Boldin's got about 3" and 30lbs on Holmes.

How did Chad Jackson do against Buffalo? Ohh that's right, he's had a 3-month hammy. We are in no position to mock other team's WR's at the moment.

The good:
He was on the field (see CJackson), the 1 catch was a nice grab.

The Bad
Dropped an easy one
Fair caught a punt on the 4 yrd line

Hok said:
:confused:

Boldin's got about 3" and 30lbs on Holmes.

Does he??? Wow. Well, my point still was he looked bigger & stronger than I was expecting for a speed guy.

14thDragon said:

You are wrong, and are exaggerating on top of that. The muffed punt happened once, and the bonehead who did it was #21 Colclough, not Holmes. They were alternating on kick returns.

Holmes' diving grab for a 1st down showed great hands and body control with a defender all over him. He also pancaked a DB on the 3rd down speed screen to Washington. But he did brain fart twice by catching punts inside the 10 yd line instead of letting them go.

All in all I'd say he looked pretty good given he was the #4 WR and will get more and more touches given that Pitt flashed more 4WR looks in the Miami game than they usually do.

Certainly showing much more progress than Chad "Hamstrung" Jackson at this point of the season.

Last edited:
tombonneau said:
Does he??? Wow. Well, my point still was he looked bigger & stronger than I was expecting for a speed guy.
Was he standing next to Doug Flutie? 'Cause he goes about 5'11" 190lbs.

Holmes made one sick catch in tight coverage where he jumped up, reached out to full extension and managed to grab and pull in the ball despite having to practically reach through the defender.

Next posession he totally flaked out on a punt return, was out of position, looked appreshensive and fumbled the ball.

To me, he was dissapointing but showed flashes of great potential.

Holmes was certainly part of an overall lousy performance by Pitt's special teams. This was commented on by several of the Pittsburgh sports reporters the following day. It's likely that Holmes will have plenty of talent to help the Steelers this year, and will not need to be the number one guy any time soon.

tombonneau said:
I thought he actually looked better than I was expecting. Dude is HUGE. Similar build to Boldin. Can see why Steelers grabbed him.

I think he dropped a pass, but that one pass he caught, I was struck by how atheltic & big he was. We'll see if that translates into on field production, but he is def. a physical speciman.

I think he was also returning kicks, looked so-so at that. But if Steelers coach him up properly, he will be an excellent complement to Ward.

Are you kidding me? What Holmes are you watching? He looks small. He surely isn't close to being Boldin's size. Holmes caught a punt inside the five yard line, like a moron, and soon after that dropped a tough catch.

Holmes is about 5'10 1/2", 183 lbs. Boldin is more like 6'1", 220ish.

Do you have a large screen TV or something?:)

Last edited:
GoWesleyan said:
I didn't see the Steelers game but see that he only had 1 catch for 6 yards. That's not so good.

Did he play?

Were they quality yards :) ? How did he look?
No, he did not play, that was someone else wearing his jersey who caught that pass...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes