PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How did Maualuga look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I couldn't tell how much speed he had. He looked sort of lumbering a few times, but I know he's an elite LB so I thought maybe I was missing something. Anyone get a sense of him, especially in the 2nd half?

I don't think we will be able to get him todd mcshay who I like more than kiper although they are both from espn thinks he will go mid first he predicted cushing to go to the pats. As far as Maualuga goes he did not have a very impressive game but has the talent to be an impact player in the nfl. I still hope they get either a d-end because of possible future departures of green and seymour or get a respectable corner

I didn't watch most of it because it was over in the first half. However, I did see Taylor Mays lays some nice licks on RB's and WR's.

I was quite disappointed with Maualuga. He made some nice plays chasing down from the back side, but when they ran straight at him, he seemed to struggle. In the first two plays you really noticed him, the RB put a move on him one on one and danced past him off right tackle, and he looked real slow. In the second one, a big hole opened up between the centre and guard which the RB was obviously heading towards, yet Maualuga went straight the guard for some reason and took him on.....as the RB sped through the 4 foot wide gap 6 inches to his left and went for 15 yards.

I thought Cushing was the more impressive of the two, personally, although the best looking USC LB was Matthews, who has some speed and looked like he knows how to get the QB. He made a couple of real nice pursuits in the second half.

Last edited:
I couldn't tell how much speed he had. He looked sort of lumbering a few times, but I know he's an elite LB so I thought maybe I was missing something. Anyone get a sense of him, especially in the 2nd half?

I thought the same, I watched the game with the sole purpose of watching the LB's and more specifically Maualuga because I think there is a chance that a Cassel trade gets us a very high pick in this years draft and I was very disappointed in how he played.

I didn't watch most of it because it was over in the first half. However, I did see Taylor Mays lays some nice licks on RB's and WR's.

He was Rodney-esque on a few plays, one of which was a penalty for a helmet-to-helmet hit that left not only the receiver woozy but his fellow corner/safety on a ground for a few minutes when he felt the collateral effects. Too bad he'll be gone by pick #24......Made them think twice about going over the middle.......Sound familiar??

I don't think we will be able to get him todd mcshay who I like more than kiper although they are both from espn thinks he will go mid first he predicted cushing to go to the pats. As far as Maualuga goes he did not have a very impressive game but has the talent to be an impact player in the nfl. I still hope they get either a d-end because of possible future departures of green and seymour or get a respectable corner

Good one! Kiper didn't even have Jerod Mayo going in the 1st round last year.

With the amount of talent potentially available, everyone is talking out their arse on where players will go. With rumors of upwards of 75-100 underclassmen declaring, this draft will be loaded with lots of talent. And there is at least 1 redshirt sophomore who is supposedly declaring (Maclin).

Now, I did not watch the game, but I had it on the TV and the announcers were raving about Maualuga all night. That could just be the hype machine, I don't know. What I do know is that there is going to be plenty of talent that is 1st round quality that slips into the second round... Which can only benefit the Patriots.

That's not true at all. Kiper had him in the top half of the first draft.

My mistake, you're right. I was looking at another NFL mock draft that I had googled under Kiper's name. He actually had Mayo going at 24 to the Titans. If anything it still shows how much more BB knows about football than all of the "so-called" experts.

With the amount of talent potentially available, everyone is talking out their arse on where players will go. With rumors of upwards of 75-100 underclassmen declaring, this draft will be loaded with lots of talent. And there is at least 1 redshirt sophomore who is supposedly declaring (Maclin).

This has me excited for the draft already! With 5 picks in the top 3 rounds, and what seems like every decent junior opting to come out for the draft, this may be the opportunity the pats neeed to reload on defense.

As for the USC linebackers, Matthews impressed me the most.

Matthews looked good from what I saw. I wonder if he is related to Clay Matthews? IIRC Clay played for BB in Cle.

Matthews looked the best out off all the USC defenders. Cushing looked decent but Malealuga didn't really stand out like he did agains OSU earlier in the season (he dominated in that game). Mays laid a nice hit, but seemed to struggle in pass coverage. Looked like he was slow to read the routes. His strong point seemed to be making plays closer to the line of scrimmage, using his size and speed.

I was also impressed with Deon Butler WR from PSU. Even with all of USC speed in defense, he made some nice runs, made people miss, and looked like a great playmaker. You guys know where he is ranked among WRs?

I thought the same, I watched the game with the sole purpose of watching the LB's and more specifically Maualuga because I think there is a chance that a Cassel trade gets us a very high pick in this years draft and I was very disappointed in how he played.
That sounds like the Maualuaga whom I've seen when I've watched USC before. I keep hearing how great he is, but whenever I see him in a game I'm underwhelmed. I never cared for Lua's play in preseason here, and Maualuaga leaves me with the same feeling. I have this game recorded and will be posting an evaluation in the draft forum in a few days, give or take a week.

I was also impressed with Deon Butler WR from PSU. Even with all of USC speed in defense, he made some nice runs, made people miss, and looked like a great playmaker. You guys know where he is ranked among WRs?
5'9" 173, 4.5 speed, projected 7th round by NFL Draft Scout. Sounds like a slot WR candidate.

5'9" 173, 4.5 speed, projected 7th round by NFL Draft Scout. Sounds like a slot WR candidate.

Perfect. The Pats should get him. Sounds like a perfect guy to return kickoffs, punts, and develop in our system. Although, I find it hard that he'll last until the 7th round.

Matthews looked the best out off all the USC defenders. Cushing looked decent but Malealuga didn't really stand out like he did agains OSU earlier in the season (he dominated in that game). Mays laid a nice hit, but seemed to struggle in pass coverage. Looked like he was slow to read the routes. His strong point seemed to be making plays closer to the line of scrimmage, using his size and speed.

The kid on PSU that has the greatest potential in the pros is Jordan Norwood, a Bobby Engram clone. He's the kid that was hit hard by Taylor Mays. I would also look hard at the 3 offensive lineman entering the draft from PSU.

IMO, Deon Butler is small and has average size speed, and isn't exactly the best route runner. He has a nose for the ball, though, and he adjusts his body well. He came to PSU as a walk-on defensive back and moved into the lineup because of injuries and/or expulsions. Derrick Williams was the #1 recruit in the nation, and though he has been an excellent college player, he doesn't have top end speed, and he falls down a lot, and even fumbles. It's really inexplicable how he falls down. Norwood is an amazing route runner, with excellent hands, and decent speed, but not a burner (very like Bobby Engram).

PSU's defense has no players who are ready for the NFL. They are all underclassman, but in a year, those kids will be excellent when they come out into the draft, and this includes Jared Odrick, Aaron Maybin, Maurice Evans, Navorro Bowman and Sean Lee.

Mays' hit was illegal and dangerous.

Players should never go flying blind leading with the crown of their helmet like that. And though it was a bang-bang play and not a plate hit, Norwood was busy pulling the ball in and was not much of a moving target when Mays lit him up. I would not give kudos to Mays at all for that hit. It was very Jack Tatum-esque.

I just don't believe football should be played to maim people. Hard hits and intimidation, I believe in. But I draw the line at using the crown of your helmet to demolish someone like that.

I would prefer brandon spikes.........two guys who can stuff the run as well as cover is something BB has never had since he has been here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down