PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How did Maroney look out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give the poor kid a chance. It's only the first round runners 2nd season.

Seriously, he's OK. IMHO, he needed the changed blocking schemes, and will always need other backs to share the load, but that's fine. We chose him over Addai and Drew. I suppose we'll be evaluating that choice for years.

And Mcbee graces us with his presence....yet again! :rolleyes:

He's suited for the new blocking scheme, but the Oline is new to it also.

There'll be a game when he gets space like Addai does due to our new receiving corps and that should shake the rust out.

The gameplan was intentionally designed to showcase our passing power... that has a lot to do with the matchups but also I believe in setting the stage for future games

The net effect is that our new deep game capabilities will open up the field for Maroney and other players in future games

So aside from the fact that he played well and stayed healthy, don't spend too much time worrying about the state of the running game. It will be used well in future games - most especially in running out the clock, when there's less of a need to average 4+ ypc.

I' give hima "B" One thing that confounds me if I'm seeing it correctly is that he's doing something I saw last year.
It seemed to me that for the first 9-10 games of last years season maroney had his best runs going over the LT. side behind Light,and Mankins with some of the runs going over the RT side. Later in the year it looked like Maroney would run it right up the middle like Dillon. And wasn't nearly as productive. I saw him doing that again today,where Morris would find a lane to the rt.or lt. Maroney seemed to try and run it up the middle,where the defence was stacked and didn't look to bounce it to the out side. If I'm wrong I want to know,and what am I missing.

The gameplan was intentionally designed to showcase our passing power... that has a lot to do with the matchups but also I believe in setting the stage for future games

The net effect is that our new deep game capabilities will open up the field for Maroney and other players in future games

So aside from the fact that he played well and stayed healthy, don't spend too much time worrying about the state of the running game. It will be used well in future games - most especially in running out the clock, when there's less of a need to average 4+ ypc.

Very true. And I agree with previous posters who lauded Morris. Seemingly, out of nowhere, who consistently delivered 4-8 yards.

BUT: Assuming Morris is a reliable inside back, why is Maroney still insistent on running up the gut when he has the speed to break it on the edges. Continually, he seemed to follow orders, when a simple cut-back would have broken it or at least given the opportunity.

I love the guy, and he put in a solid day. My things is that he isn't a punisher, he's fleet of foot. Outside, outside, run. The OC runs him inside every time, and he obeys.

Last edited:
I think he's looked kind of mediocre, but what do I know.

Sometimes I'd like to know what game some posters are watching....he looked fine, gus.

Maroney was running strong and getting a lot of carries early, then Morris replaced him which to be honest seemed to get Maroney out of his rhythem. The offensive line didn't seem to run block as well during part of the game either.

Last edited:
I thought Morris was a good pick up when it happend. I remember watching him when he wwas on BUFF,and Mia, but I never thought he would be as good as he is. He shows good speed,vision,and power and seems to have adjusted to the zone blocking better tha LOMO, but morris has been around alot longer than Maroney. Any way I doubt BB will hesitat to sub Morris for Maroney, I think were back to the two headed monster of a year ago only its better.

Last edited:
Maroney looked OK....not great, but not bad either.

I hope all Pat's fans don't go psycho on this topic. Let the season get 6 weeks or so in and see how the running game looks.

The boards don't need to beat him up or pump him up yet.....let's wait and see.

BTW.....I am not expecting a whole lot week 2 against the Charger run defense. I think we will have to establish the pass before the run. So I don't think we see good numbers from Maroney or the rest of the RB's next week. Hope they prove me wrong.

Maroney looked OK....not great, but not bad either.

I hope all Pat's fans don't go psycho on this topic. Let the season get 6 weeks or so in and see how the running game looks.

The boards don't need to beat him up or pump him up yet.....let's wait and see.

BTW.....I am not expecting a whole lot week 2 against the Charger run defense. I think we will have to establish the pass before the run. So I don't think we see good numbers from Maroney or the rest of the RB's next week. Hope they prove me wrong.
Yeah I think your right about the Bolts game. Idon't see any one getting alot of yards of the ground. I'm sure it will be mainly an arial assault.

Last edited:
The offensive line didn't seem to run block as well during part of the game either.
I'll wait for some of the better analysts on this board and out there in media-land to watch the game again. I do remember one play where the OLine was zone-blocking and the Jets run-blitzed and a guy came in and knocked Mankins clean off his feet and into Maroney, who stumbled (still in the backfield) before getting dropped by another defender.

I'd like to how LT would do in that situation. For that matter, LT didn't do all that well, yesterday, did he?

The OLine is still learning and so is Maroney. He'll learn to set up his blockers while they learn to pick up defenders. Morris did look good, fast and decisive, but don't start thinking he's a better cutback runner than Maroney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back