Welcome to PatsFans.com

How cool was Eisenhower?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

EMC - Speeches - Chance for Peace Speech

Chance for Peace Speech
    American Society of Newspaper Editors
    April 16,1953

First: No people on earth can be held, as a people, to be enemy, for all humanity shares the common hunger for peace and fellowship and justice.

Second: No nation's security and well-being can be lastingly achieved in isolation but only in effective cooperation with fellow-nations.

Third: Any nation's right to form of government and an economic system of its own choosing is inalienable.

Fourth: Any nation's attempt to dictate to other nations their form of government is indefensible.

And fifth: A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations.

=================================

We are prepared to reaffirm, with the most concrete evidence, our readiness to help build a world in which all peoples can be productive and prosperous.

This Government is ready to ask its people to join with all nations in devoting a substantial percentage of the savings achieved by disarmament to a fund for world aid and reconstruction. The purposes of this great work would be to help other peoples to develop the under developed areas of the world, to stimulate profitability and fair world trade, to assist all peoples to know the blessings of productive freedom.

The monuments to this new kind of war would be these: roads and schools, hospitals and homes, food and health.

We are ready, in short, to dedicate our strength to serving the needs, rather than the fears, of the world.

=========================================
  2. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

There's the tricky part. Who exactly gets to do the choosing? I doubt most people living under a dictatorship would choose that if given other options, but that is what currently exists in too many places. From medieval European monarchies to the gangland of modern-day Somalia, all too often the control of nations is like a gangster film. The few ascend to power by force, charm and street-smarts (reading people, manipulating, political games, etc).
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  4. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yikes DarrylS, How about George HW Bush? Did you forget about him? Or Gerald Ford? Both served in WWII. Jimmy Carter was also in the Navy although I don't know that he served during a war.

There was a good article in Slate last week highlighting the fact that many people completely misunderstand Eisenhower's "military industrial" speech, and his presidency in general. Some of the posts in this thread seem to follow that pattern. Anyone ever hear of the "Eisenhower doctrine?" Ike was the END of the non-interventionist Republicans, and his actions in office speak louder than these quotes. Ike never sought the demilitarization of the US, in fact he was in favor of an overwhelming military force, and LOTS of nukes to back them up.

Here's the article, I found it a good read.

Eisenhower's "military-industrial complex": His farewell address has been completely misunderstood. - By David Greenberg - Slate Magazine
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  5. Triple-T

Triple-T Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think you have to take all five points together. As life has shown in practice, you don't really find nations living under a dictatorship able to claim the second part of point five.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

I also forgot about John Kennedy, perhaps should have clarified my thoughts better.. he was the last very powerful military leader who was elected to the highest office.. he understood the consequences of hard decisions...

Not deifying him at all, just a casual comment that since that time he is the only leader who seemed to understand the reality of war...

Not quite sure how this can be interpreted any other way except for its face value..

The Chance for Peace: President Eisenhower's 1953 speech

7. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

But much of Ike's rhetoric, and more importantly, his actions, belie these statements. The slate article references the fact that Ike disliked military spending not because he thought disarmament was a priority (in fact he thought the opposite), but because he was cheap! He still wanted the US to be THE military power in the world, and built both conventional and nuclear arsenals to reflect that. He also crusaded for military intervention to stop the spread of Communism, and started our involvement in Vietnam (sending advisors) and supported the Vietnam war from the sidelines. Evidently he was obsessed with a tight, balanced budget (and couldn't we use some of THAT right now!!!), and that obsession drove his spending, not some desire to demilitarize.

I think other Presidents understood the reality of war just as well, the clearest example that comes to mind is Bush 41 and the Gulf War. He made the decision to stop the ground offensive and leave Saddam in power to avoid the high casualty numbers we saw in the war under Bush 43. Ike had to make command decisions that sent men to their deaths, but the other WWII generation Presidents (JFK, Ford, Bush 41, etc.) were just as intimately exposed to the horrors of war as Ike was.

Also, reading the full text of the speech, it reads to me as a justification for our own arms buildup as being necessitated by Soviet aggression. It is a call for the Soviets to put aside their militaristic program, at which point we would do the same. It was not a comment on the folly of the US's own arms buildup, which I think some might see it as. Just what I got from reading it anyway.
  8. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Good stuff, I appreciate the article. I always learn something when you post Stokes.
  9. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Shhh, nobody tell STFarmy I have no idea what I'm talking about...

JK, Thanks ST!
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +547 / 2 / -9

Believe it or not I thought the same thing, I'm dead serious, I read it twice.
  11. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

While in the Oval Office Ike practiced his golf putting wearing golf shoes that left holes in the wood floor. The floor needed fixing for JFK.

Reagan never took his jacket off in there, to show honor to the room.

I like Ike.

Clinton played around with interns and cigars in there. I guess I would too if married to the woman he picked.
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Ike is one of the greatest Americans ever.
    1. George Washington
    2. Neil Armstrong
    3. Thomas Edison
    4. Ike
    5. Albert Einstein
  13. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Oh boy, this post is bound to start some arguments!

What about: Lincoln, FDR, Jefferson, MLK Jr, Oprah, Rocky Balboa, Hugh Hefner, and Hulk Hogan?
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Ok...OK!

I'll conceed The Hef...and throw in Marilyn Monroe for the feminists...
  15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Don't you, like, ever get sick of being wrong all the time?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I'm going with Aron Ralston... that's a man right there.
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

BAD ASS MOFO AMERICAN

[​IMG]
  18. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey