PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How confident are you against the Chargers next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Wow-if you guys were panicking after the Fins loss a couple of weeks ago, the Chargers looked AWFUL against them today.

Belichick will outcoach the snot out of Norval next week-any takes?

I think the Chargers have some serious problems. I think there may be something seriously wrong with Tomlinson that they are not letting onto. Also, their defense is non-existent.

That said they are like a wounded animal now which can make them dangerous. They need this win far more than the Pats do. I think that if they won today, it might have been better for the Pats.

The ironic thing is they have the tougher travel schedule this week since they are coming from the east coast.

chargers are their typical jekyll and hydeish sept/october selves right now

you just never know what team you're going to see from them early in the season

I listened to a lot of the game on Sirius today and after hearing what the Dolphins announcers thought they would get out of SD vs what they actually saw, I am more confident than I was 24 hours ago. After watching how this team responded to an agressive offense and defense on the road today, I am more confident than I was six hours ago.

It will still be a tough game, the Chargers are better than their record, talent-wise anyway. However, you have to wonder what is going on with that team mentally. Do they trust their staff? Do they trust their star running back?

Last edited:
I'm not too optimistic. Chargers are your typical doofus team; they'll nearly piss away games to the Raiders of the NFL world, then play All-World style on the days they circled on their calendar.

I assume LDT and co. have been looking ahead to this game for quite some time.

I wouldn't say confident exactly. It's more like the Chargers suck more. So if Cassel can bring another workmanlike performance and not turn over the ball I think the Chargers are definitely beatable this season.

There was an article on my fantasy football site comparing LdT to Emmitt Smith. At this point in thier careers, they have had pretty much the same amount of touches, yards, ect. and this was the year in his career Emmitt started to slow down.

The argument was don't be suprised if this happens with LdT this year. Well, what do you guys think? Is this the point where LdT goes from superstar to just dependable? Or, is this an anomaly and he will get himself (and the Chargers) righted come the end of the year?

I feel confident in our team. Today's win will really help with the psyche of the team and build more confidence in Cassel.

So yes I am confident.

:p

This is the first real test for the new Matt Cassel Patriots. The chargers really seem to be hurting this year on defense, but as a team they've done nothing but plot their revenge on the Pats for destroying them in the playoffs every year. I think we pretty much have a toss up as far as who is going to win this game. It really could go either way. It basically all depends on how the New England defense plays. The New England defense is another Dr. Jekyl / Mr. Hyde situation these days.

Competitively, the Pats can hang with any team. They need to contain the combination of LT and Sproles.

Their special teams will have to be up to the task because Sproles is an excellent returner.

I also heard Chambers went out today so there's some injuries to their receiving corp.

I would give the edge to the Pats coaching staff.

Overall, I'm expecting a pretty close game.

chargers are their typical jekyll and hydeish sept/october selves right now

you just never know what team you're going to see from them early in the season

I don't know, I watched part of that game. They look really bad. This time it doesn't look as flukish as years past. I think there are some real issues going on with them.

That said. It'll be a tough game. I'm confident (not ****y), but as someone said. If they ever needed a reason to play hard, it wouild be against us.

What's interesting about this game is that both teams are finding out who they are. The SF game gives us more proof that the Pats can hang. But it's still so early. How Cassel plays next week is something no one knows, but I like him playing with another W under his belt and more playing time with the offense. The Chargers are a bit of a mystery as well.

Their offense is a tough matchup I think. Gates and the sizey WR's could give us problems. Even though we put up 30 this week I don't want to see Cassel in another shootout but looks like that could very well happen. I dunno, can't pick against this team though I fully expect a W somehow someway.

Confident, not so much. SD during the regular season is more dangerous then SD in the playoffs. Norv will do his best to minimize their talent and encourage mediocrity, but even with him working for the Pats benefit this team has the talent to be disruptive this early in the season.

Both teams are a little shaky right now, so not very confident. More cautiously optimistic.

There was an article on my fantasy football site comparing LdT to Emmitt Smith. At this point in thier careers, they have had pretty much the same amount of touches, yards, ect. and this was the year in his career Emmitt started to slow down.

The argument was don't be suprised if this happens with LdT this year. Well, what do you guys think? Is this the point where LdT goes from superstar to just dependable? Or, is this an anomaly and he will get himself (and the Chargers) righted come the end of the year?
actually coming into sunday, LT had better numbers after 4 games in 08, than he did after 4 games in 07

you can look it up, it's true

he's been a slow starter lately

I don't know, I watched part of that game. They look really bad. This time it doesn't look as flukish as years past. I think there are some real issues going on with them.

That said. It'll be a tough game. I'm confident (not ****y), but as someone said. If they ever needed a reason to play hard, it wouild be against us.
you should watch some of their games from last year, notably the home game vs the chiefs where they lost 30-16 lol

they pull this crap and then just take off in nov/december

i don't get it either

Confident, not so much. SD during the regular season is more dangerous then SD in the playoffs. Norv will do his best to minimize their talent and encourage mediocrity, but even with him working for the Pats benefit this team has the talent to be disruptive this early in the season.
that wasn't true last year, as NE killed sd in the regular season, and struggled with them, in NE , in the playoffs

It all comes down to the play of Matt Cassel. If he plays well, the Pats win. If he doesn't, they lose. It's as simple as that. Even though the Chargers lost, their still a good team and pose a major challenge towards the Pats. As another poster mentioned, you don't know what team you will get out of the Chargers. I just hope the Pats don't run into the Chargers team that destroyed the Jets two weeks ago.

I'm confident, but keep in mind that west coast teams are notorious for playing poorly on the east coast. Aside from the jet lag crossing over three time zones (that eastern teams also have to deal with when they travel), the internal time clock of a west coast player is having to deal with playing a game at what seems like 10 am and suddenly having to wake up three hours earlier than usual. Seattle and Arizona are a couple of teams that I can think of off the top of my head that often play badly - not just this week and last week - on the east coast In other words, don't put too much emphasis into the Chargers loss; they're still a very good football team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes