PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How concerned are you about the OL and secondary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sebastian Vollmer will be an unrestricted free agent in 2013. Heading into the 2013-14 NFL Season, I'm not sure that re-signing a 29 year old offensive tackle with chronic back issues is a wise investment.

Please provide the information you have that says Vollmers back is chronically injured.

Sebastian Vollmer will be an unrestricted free agent in 2013. Heading into the 2013-14 NFL Season, I'm not sure that re-signing a 29 year old offensive tackle with chronic back issues is a wise investment.

Wouldnt that depend on how his back his by the end of the season and how much we sign him for?

Please provide the information you have that says Vollmers back is chronically injured.
I stated the word "issues", you stated the word "injured".

Report: Vollmer had minor back surgery | Patriots Blog | providencejournal.com | The Providence Journal

The Boston Globe reports that Patriots right tackle Sebastian Vollmer will miss this week's three-day mandatory mini-camp because of a "small procedure" on his back.

Vollmer has been hampered by back issues since his college days. He missed the entire 2006 season at the University of Houston because of major back surgery. He is, however, expected to be ready for training camp in July.

Last edited:
My points still hold, if he's relatively healthy by seasons end and we can sign him for reasonable money it might be worth it depending on what other options are available.
Based upon the past and the present, that is a big "IF".

Based upon the past and the present, that is a big "IF".

It seems you'd need to have that info in order to make a judgment, I think the Pats should cross that bridge when they come to it, not worth speculating about it now IMO.

to me, I feel that I have to see them perform in an actual NFL game to see how they have improved..

the O-line was definitely a concern, hopefully donte has them prepared for tomorrow...depth is an issue, but marcus cannon was part of the reason brady was under so much duress in those games..

the secondary just on paper has improved...steven gregory is a proven veteran who knows to be in the right place....

and lets not forget Ras-I-Dowling..he was the #2 CB last year to start the season before injury...if he can remain healthy he offers another dimension to our CB position

I think it is going to take awhile for Mankins to come back from the surgery....he will continue to be stiff and slow for awhile.....Solder looked HORRIBLE this preseason,not even like the same guy. Dante says he will get it together....Gruden says he will be All Pro one day. They know more than me tenfold (if not 10 million) Cannon is another one that looked horrific out there this PS....SLOW, slow slow.....beat constantly, poor technique....hope BB was right on this kid.....Connelly should be ok.....I think they are going to be an issue for us.....but hopefully will not let Brady get killed. Secondary will continue to be a work in progress imho....hopefully not DEAD last rating like last year.....

The O-line: I'm fairly optimistic that Mankins will have a smooth return from his surgery. I'm also prepared to give Solder a couple of games to settle into the LT position. My big concern however, is Vollmer for obvious reason. If he plays up to his pro bowl level for at least 10 games (big if) than I'm pretty sure we'll be alright. I think the big worry here is that if the O-line doesn't do it's job, Brady will have some nagging injuries going into the playoffs that doom us. In regards to Waters, I'd love him back, but I view it as kind of a pipe dream at this point, and am prepared to move on.

The Secondary: It can't be any worse than last year's was, so it has nowhere to go but up.

You are right on Dowling. He showed flashes of brilliance last year.....but CAN HE STAY on the field all year???? Hopefully he doesn't have that "glass" factor......Gregory looked good I agree....not sure about the rest. McCourty is a wild card....hopefully the Mccourty of 2010 will show up (I know the move to safety helped him)

to me, I feel that I have to see them perform in an actual NFL game to see how they have improved..

the O-line was definitely a concern, hopefully donte has them prepared for tomorrow...depth is an issue, but marcus cannon was part of the reason brady was under so much duress in those games..

the secondary just on paper has improved...steven gregory is a proven veteran who knows to be in the right place....

and lets not forget Ras-I-Dowling..he was the #2 CB last year to start the season before injury...if he can remain healthy he offers another dimension to our CB position

Connelly reminds me of Andruzzi. Bring the lunch pail....play wherever you want him to and he will do a damn solid job. And....Connelly can even run back a punt return for like 70 yards if you ask him to......

SECONDARY

We were in the middle of the pack in points allowed last year, and were looking good as the season ended. We have added Dowling, Gregory and Wilson (and developmental hopefuls Dennard and Ebner). The secondary should be fine; it may take some time for the secondary to gel.

OFFENSIVE LINE

We certainly aren't as good as last year. Light, Koppen and Waters are all gone.

HOWEVER, Solder was drafted to replace Light and did fine last year, and will be fine after he works with Mankins next to him for for a couple of weeks.

Koppen was declining even at the beginning of last year. Having Wendell at center should be fine. He is probably as good at center as the revolving door in 2011.

The biggest drop-off is from Waters to Connolly. But we know that Connolly is an adequate starter.

I'm fine with our backup interior linemen Thomas and McDonald. I'm also fine with Cannon. He needs a consistent line to work with and he'll be fine. That being said, I would fee much better with the addition with a veteran backup OT to the squad.

The BOTTOM LINE is that Scar has worked with worse lines and has done fine; So has Josh. If the line isn't performing, Josh will adapt the game plan to the OL that we have; he has done so before.

2013 NFL Draft - New England Patriots

Offensive Priorities

1. Offensive Tackle
2. Offensive Guard
3. Offensive Tackle

Fixed it for ya. Otherwise, I agree...and is a young WR too much to ask for?

Dennard, McDonald downgraded - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Sep 8 8:36PM ET By Mike Rodak | ESPNBoston.com

The Patriots on Saturday night downgraded offensive lineman Nick McDonald (shoulder) and cornerback Alfonzo Dennard (hamstring) to out for Sunday's regular season opener against Tennessee.

Both players had been listed as questionable on the injury report, and presumably did not make the trip to Nashville.

McDonald had returned to practice on Thursday after missing nearly two weeks with his injury. Dennard was added to the injury report on Friday. He had previously missed three weeks of training camp with a hamstring injury.

With running back Shane Vereen (foot) already declared out, the Patriots will have to deactivate another four players by 90 minutes prior to kickoff.

Not concerned about the secondary, a bit concerned about the OL depth..

I'm not...."Oh crap the sky is falling" nervous about both as we have won with a garbage secondary and crappy OL before. But, I am still concerned that our OL has weak spots and ? marks, and the secondary, while better....still has some questionable areas as well. What are your thoughts? Thanks

My thoughts???

tumblr_ktnaa0utuw1qa2i2xo1_400.gif

I have not read the whole thread but I will throw out my viewpoints.

My biggest concern with this team in general is the O-line. And the primary reason is I don't believe this team can afford to lose Brady. Yes, captain obvious I know.

But the reasons for the concern would largely be due to the fact that there are some inexperienced guys and I'm anticipating there may be a lack of continuity as the season begins. I hope they prove me wrong. I expect this group will get better as the season wears on but the first few games, the O-line could be the primary weakness of this team. Have had these same concerns in the past and this coaching staff has always seemed to get the most out of the O-line grouping despite who is one the field. Let's hope that continues.

As for the secondary, my expectation is that it is going to be a much improved group and possibly right from the get go. Part of that is going to be due to an also improved pass rush up front. Chandler Jones looked like a beast in preseason and Jermaine Cunningham may be turning the corner. This should take a lot of pressure off the D-backs and maybe allow for them to play some coverages the coaching staff has not been comfortable with in recent years.

The concerns I would have with the secondary would revolve mostly around the ability to stay healthy. A healthy Ras I Dowling goes a long way towards vastly improving the secondary this season IMO. That and better safety play which with the small amount of reps we have seen during preseason, looks to have been addressed and has the potential to be a strength rather than a weakness going into the season.

I'm not much of an X and O's guy. But for me, I have a lot more concerns about the O-line than I do the secondary. The thing about the NFL is it's not how you start but how you finish. But the key for this team is going to be keeping Tom Brady's uniform clean.

Last edited:
The Pats have seldom used more than a Round Two pick on the Oline, for a STARTER.

I agree. Why in God's name would we use more for a reserve tackle?
Do you consider Marcus Cannon an adequate reserve tackle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back