PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How concerned are you about the OL and secondary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stcjones

Pro Bowl Player
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I'm not...."Oh crap the sky is falling" nervous about both as we have won with a garbage secondary and crappy OL before. But, I am still concerned that our OL has weak spots and ? marks, and the secondary, while better....still has some questionable areas as well. What are your thoughts? Thanks

I'm not...."Oh crap the sky is falling" nervous about both as we have won with a garbage secondary and crappy OL before. But, I am still concerned that our OL has weak spots and ? marks, and the secondary, while better....still has some questionable areas as well. What are your thoughts? Thanks

Not one bit...

The depth and quality is better than it has ever been in the secondary.

As for the Offensive line, we will see it together for the first time in Tennessee. The preseason was played without two probowlers and with a talented soph getting his first full time starts at the position he was drafted to play. After a year of seasoning and playing some games at both Left and Right tackle and TE too.

Marcus Cannon may have trouble playing alone at Right Tackle should he ever be called to do so. But a chipping TE or RB will give him help in the real games.

The OL concerns me only from a depth perspective. I think Solder will look better in the regular season in general, but will definitely get better as he gets more reps. Mankins is Mankins, never worried about him. I think Wendell made a nice jump to a solid player last year and will continue to improve. Connolly is what he is, a solid player, nothing spectacular but solid. Vollmer we know is a pro-bowl caliber T when he's healthy. The problem comes when we lose a T (or god forbid both of them), we have no real confident options behind them.

As for the secondary, we've added depth and athleticism to the safety position, and I have to believe that McCourty will gravitate more towards his rookie season performance more than his sophomore slump. With improved safety play, the corners will look better anyway, and that's not even including a potentially improved pass rush with the new front seven weapons. All things considered, I think the secondary will be just fine.

The OL is young, but with Dante at the helm I believe...

The secondary is also young, but they all have had benefit of a full offseason and full TC so I suspect that they will be somewhat better than previous.. but what concerns me are injuries, last year there was optimism about them and then the injuries started.

Not one bit...

The depth and quality is better than it has ever been in the secondary.

As for the Offensive line, we will see it together for the first time in Tennessee. The preseason was played without two probowlers and with a talented soph getting his first full time starts at the position he was drafted to play. After a year of seasoning and playing some games at both Left and Right tackle and TE too.

Marcus Cannon may have trouble playing alone at Right Tackle should he ever be called to do so. But a chipping TE or RB will give him help in the real games.

Slow down there, The depth and quality is better than it has ever been in the secondary? You have 4 rookies who have yet to play a down in the NFL. Other than the projected starters, the rest of the secondary has a grand total of 8 NFL games under their belt. There are no Harrison or Law quality starters out there either. I'm optimistic about the secondary too but you jumped way ahead.

I'm most concerned about the Vollmer's back. I think Solder will get up to speed eventually.

Let em come, McD is going to run screens and draws anyway, so having the DE's upfield is a plus.
So OL will be average to start and get better/gel. But Brady has to eat or get rid of the ball. If he slides and holds the ball he will get lit up, this line not ready for moving pocket.

On the other side, run stuffing is going be a reality, pushing teams to throw more. Hopefully we get a bit more consistant pressure and the DB's actually looking for / finding the ball in the air. Is Cunningham ever going to be the other guy, let the latest beast put on some heat in real games.
Still to many if's and maybes in the secondary - better personnel = success??

The O-line: I'm fairly optimistic that Mankins will have a smooth return from his surgery. I'm also prepared to give Solder a couple of games to settle into the LT position. My big concern however, is Vollmer for obvious reason. If he plays up to his pro bowl level for at least 10 games (big if) than I'm pretty sure we'll be alright. I think the big worry here is that if the O-line doesn't do it's job, Brady will have some nagging injuries going into the playoffs that doom us. In regards to Waters, I'd love him back, but I view it as kind of a pipe dream at this point, and am prepared to move on.

The Secondary: It can't be any worse than last year's was, so it has nowhere to go but up.

I agree that the secondary should be much improved over last year. Just adding Gregory is a huge improvement, to have a capable veteran instead of an UDFA rookie playing out of position (Moore), and our ST captain (Slater). But Wilson and Ebner both look like they have tremendous upside, and were very consistent in camp. The addition of Dennard creates depth that was missing after Dowling went down. And just having Dowling healthy is a major step. That's five very promising additions to the unit. I am cautiously optimistic.

The OL has me more than a little concerned. They've looked horrible. But Scar will solve it, and Mankins and Vollmer need to shake off some rust. The starting group is solid, even without Waters. It's the depth that makes you wonder. Cannon is the guy I worry about most. I'm concerned that he should really move inside to RG, but the staff are convinced he can be our RT of the future with Vollmer coming into his contract year. Will that really work? Square peg?

One thing further, on the secondary. I expect the front seven will be much more disruptive this year, forcing the ball out sooner. That will make guys like McCourty and Arrington seem MUCH better year over year, just because they're playing in the context of a stronger defensive unit.

Cannon is the guy I worry about most. I'm concerned that he should really move inside to RG, but the staff are convinced he can be our RT of the future with Vollmer coming into his contract year. Will that really work? Square peg?
2013 NFL Draft - New England Patriots

Offensive Priorities

1. Offensive Tackle
2. Offensive Tackle
3. Offensive Tackle

2013 NFL Draft - New England Patriots

Offensive Priorities

1. Offensive Tackle
2. Offensive Tackle
3. Offensive Tackle

Are there any prospects that look good? And if so, it's still likely that the Pats have one of the 10 best records in the league, so can we acquire them? Do we trade up if possible?

SECONDARY

We were in the middle of the pack in points allowed last year, and were looking good as the season ended. We have added Dowling, Gregory and Wilson (and developmental hopefuls Dennard and Ebner). The secondary should be fine; it may take some time for the secondary to gel.

OFFENSIVE LINE

We certainly aren't as good as last year. Light, Koppen and Waters are all gone.

HOWEVER, Solder was drafted to replace Light and did fine last year, and will be fine after he works with Mankins next to him for for a couple of weeks.

Koppen was declining even at the beginning of last year. Having Wendell at center should be fine. He is probably as good at center as the revolving door in 2011.

The biggest drop-off is from Waters to Connolly. But we know that Connolly is an adequate starter.

I'm fine with our backup interior linemen Thomas and McDonald. I'm also fine with Cannon. He needs a consistent line to work with and he'll be fine. That being said, I would fee much better with the addition with a veteran backup OT to the squad.

The BOTTOM LINE is that Scar has worked with worse lines and has done fine; So has Josh. If the line isn't performing, Josh will adapt the game plan to the OL that we have; he has done so before.

That's all well and good, but do we have a realistic chance at acquiring some of these guys, without giving up too much? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe several teams have some issues with their O-line and will be looking to grab on these guys before we are able to.
The New England Patriots do not need to select the highest rated offensive tackle in the 2013 NFL Draft, just one who will be better at pass protection than Marcus Cannon.

NFL Draft - 2013 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

This is true. Do we select a serviceable backup and pay Vollmer, or do we let Vollmer go when his contract's up. Or do we take a third option?
Sebastian Vollmer will be an unrestricted free agent in 2013. Heading into the 2013-14 NFL Season, I'm not sure that re-signing a 29 year old offensive tackle with chronic back issues is a wise investment.

think the oline will be good tomorrow

I think both the OL and secondary will receive a lot of criticism from fans, no matter how well they play.
Tom Brady is going to get hit, and he is going to get sacked. Every QB every season does. But the tolerance of most fans stops at 1, and the sky begins to fall then.
The secondary will allow completions. Probably more than 20 game. They will allow yards, almost surely more than 200 a game. They will allow points too. And 3rd down conversions. Why? Because every team does. When an 80 catch 1200 yard receiver catches 5 passes for 75 yards on McCourty which is that receivers average, fans will say McCourty stinks. Again, the tolerance level is set a perfection in an area that perfection isn't even remotely possible.
Of course when we have a large lead and play conservative loose pass defense and protect a lead and go home with a win, there will be numerous complaints about how bad the pass defense was.

Its just part of being a Patriots fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey