PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How come we're not hearing from the '72 Dolphins this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere that Shula is quite upset.

It's because there are TWO teams left that have a good chance of going undefeated. Chances are, at least one of them makes the SB with an undefeated record. When the Patriots were on their run, it seemed like any game after the Colts game could have ended their run (Any Given Sunday theory).... and this led to the 72 Dolphins praying every week for a Patriots loss (ie: making so much noise).

It isn't like that this time. Even if One of the teams loses, there will still be one undefeated team remaining. This is also the reason why i think One of them WILL go undefeated and win it all this year. It's because both teams are not under the same pressure as the Patriots faced. The national media has divided the pressure into two, diluting the amount.... thus, not making it a SB for every opponent they face. This was obviously not the case in 2007 where EVERY team after the halfway mark saw playing the Patriots as the their SB.

Excellent point. If a) the Pats hadn't gone 16-0 already and b) it was either the Saints OR the Colts currently undefeated, everyone would be going crazy. The pressure is much less on them, which of course makes the chances of them doing it all the greater.

The ultimate dream for Pats fans this year would be to have the Pats win the Super Bowl knocking off the undefeated Colts and Saints in the process. Short of actually getting that 19-0, winning that way would go the farthest to eliminate the sting of 2007.

Shula was interviewed on my local ESPN radio show the other day, pimping the opening of one of his steakhouses in the area. They of course asked him about the Colts and Saints, and although I don't recall really what he said, he didn't seem that bothered by the prospect. I vaguely recall him starting with some Peyton praise (hurl!), which is probably why I pretty much zoned out on what he was saying. :D. Although, I do remember him saying that the whole yearly champagne thing was really a myth. He said a couple of the guys (forget which) did it one time, and that they were too cheap to invite him and the rest of the guys - the way he said it was actually kind of funny.

As far as them being seemingly less vocal this time around, I pretty much chalk it up to the fact it doesn't bother them AS much because it's not the Pats, who are 1. a division rival. and 2. big cheating meanie poopy-heads, of course.

Last edited:
Because Shula is a jerk, that's why.

Who really cares about what any of the 1972 Dolphins think? Everytime I cringe when Morris gives his opinion or rhymes as he's about as relevant as a 8 track today. The guy permeates scum.

As for 16-0 projecting to 19-0, well I have no real problem with either of the Colts or the Saints doing it as they have been the best sides in their respective conferences this season and their records reflect that. I'm a firm believer in seeing the best sides win, not fluke a performance like the Giants did.

The Patriots had their chance to create history in Superbowl 42 and we choked it away against inferior opposition. Nothing will ever convince me otherwise. The Patriots choked and they choked hard.

MercuryMorrisCup.JPG

For my money, I believe that one of the primary differences is the degree of domination the 2007 Patriots had versus the Colts/Saints this year. That coupled with the blatantly revenge-oriented, scorched-earth nature of the Pats ripping through the league.

This year, the Colts and Saints might go undefeated, but I hear no talk of them being the "Greatest Teams of All Time". If only one were doing it, okay, then I think you'd hear more noise along those lines if just one were doing it. But the parity in the league just isn't there this year for anyone to get truly amped up about this. Further, neither of these teams has been outright annihilating teams the way the Patriots did in 2007.

Even today with these two undefeated teams, the 2007 Patriots -- despite the Super Bowl loss -- are considered the most dominant offense of all time by a lot of football scholars. And I think a lot of people believe, but won't say, that the 2007 Patriots would have wiped the floor with these two undefeated teams just like they did to the 2007 Cowboys and Colts.

In short, I think the strength of victory, fear-inducing nature and outright annihilation, coupled with the "F U" vibe of the entire effort, is what changes people's perception of it each undefeated run.

Last edited:
Pats went 18-0 before losing SB42. Dolphins stopped at 17-0. Sure, the Pats didn't go undefeated, but they may have if they didn't have two more games to play than Miami. So Miami can hold the "undefeated" card over the Pats' heads, but NE can hold the "you had two less games than us" card over theirs. Any bragging rights by Miami are blurred by this detail so they really should shut up.

Edit: And shame on Griese for suggesting teams get the monkey off their backs. Seriously. Embrace the challenge of going undefeated. Reach for the brass ring. If the Colts or Saints rest starters and lose because of it, they're pansies. They may be SB44-champion pansies, but they'll still be pansies.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Mercury Morris loves when the perfect storm hits - Miami Dolphins & NFL - MiamiHerald.com

Mercury Morris loves when the perfect storm hits

With the 1972 Dolphins again at risk of not being the only team to finish a regular season and playoffs undefeated, alums have been fielding calls from journalists looking for pithy quotes. As usual, Mercury Morris is in the middle of it.

``Got 11 calls today,'' Morris said Monday. ``From Miami to Indianapolis to New Orleans to New York.'' For the '72 Dolphins people who get the calls (Don Shula, Jim Mandich, Morris, etc.), the first order of business often is shooting down myths

Last edited:
At this point, the issue is regular season perfection. For teams have achieved that, two in the Super Bowl era. Miami just isn't that relevant.

The story this year is the colts and the saints and how these unfeated teams can find new ways to win each week. These are NOT dominant teams. They have come close to being beaten many times. Heck, the colts have been behind in the fourth quarter in more than half of their games. Before the colts suited up to play the jags, it wasn't even clear that the colts were going to play their regulars.

If the colts or saints are undefeated going into the playoffs, then the Miami comparison will be be relevant. Of the four teams undefeated in the regular season, only Miami sealed the deal with a chamopionship.

I believe it is precisely because the Pats went 18-1 that the media hype surrounding this is still a bit subdued. There's also a fair chance that both teams go 16-0 and fail to make the Super Bowl. Both teams have survived some close games against bad teams the past few weeks and even the Pats wins aren't looking as significant after the Miami game.

Mercury Morris was on ESPN singing some rap song i did not watch it cause he's face is jinx lol

bob griese was on espn saying the colts and saints should loose a game lol cause look what the patriots did its to hard to go a full season with out a lose

If we lose in the playoffs (or don't make it), I want the Saints to go 19-0. I'm absolutely sure that Shula and Mercury will be the first ones out there to congratulate them, but after their last 15 mins of fame, they will both be officially irrelevant for the rest of time. :)

They're already less relevant. Someone, cant remember where, either espn or one of the boston papers, made a pretty good case as to why they're less relevant after 2007.

Couple days ago, I heard Morris say something like 'I don't care if some team gets into my neighborhood on this thing, tell me when they're on my street.' Well, I think they're down the street and around the corner, both of them, crazy man. Colts - Nawlins in the Super Bowl at 18 - 0 each might push a couple of them into permanent pshcho-blather. :scream:

When Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute mile.. it was huge news... after the Pats did it it was huge news... as we paved the way, it is now less newsworthy...

Running the table will be newsworthy, if it does not happen it will be as newsworthy as who was the second person to break the 4 minute mile...

Pats went 18-0 before losing SB42. Dolphins stopped at 17-0. Sure, the Pats didn't go undefeated, but they may have if they didn't have two more games to play than Miami. So Miami can hold the "undefeated" card over the Pats' heads, but NE can hold the "you had two less games than us" card over theirs. Any bragging rights by Miami are blurred by this detail so they really should shut up.

Edit: And shame on Griese for suggesting teams get the monkey off their backs. Seriously. Embrace the challenge of going undefeated. Reach for the brass ring. If the Colts or Saints rest starters and lose because of it, they're pansies. They may be SB44-champion pansies, but they'll still be pansies.

Regards,
Chris

Right on, Chris.

Griese's comments reek of self-centered envious concern.

Well, if Both NO and Indy do end up at 18-0 in the SB, I'll at least be slightly pleased in knowing somebody else will also sport that 18-1 stigma.:(

If it does get real close BELIEVE ME M Morris & crew will be out there on shows talking smack. Wouldn't it be sweet if Colts streak ended with Pats going into Indy and stopping them lol

I think there's less negative talk coming out of Miami because:

1) The Pats took some of the novelty out of it in 2007 (remember, it had been 30 years since it was done at the time).

2) In general, the Saints are a "feel good" story because of Katrina and, no matter how much we don't like it, a lot of people go for Peyton Manning's All American routine, so there are good vibes around the Colts as well.

3) The Pats are an easy target because people outside of New England generally don't like the Patriots, mainly (a) because we embarrassed other franchises by doing what no team was supposed to do in the Cap/FA era and dominated the Conference and League from 2001 on, doing it with a QB with a "Metro" image and a Brazilian GF and with an HC who was perceived as brilliant but remote and/or arrogant and (b) because Spygate hung over the team all season, peaking with the Horrald's fabrications right around SB time and (c) because we're relatively new on the "Elite Franchise" block and consequently are neither the Steelers with their "Working Man in the Heart of the Rustbelt" routine, nor the Cowboys with their "America's Team" shtick nor the 49'ers with beloved Joe Montana.

Just "Embrace the Hate" and you'll feel better. I know I do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back