PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How come NO Mediots are talking about how lucky the Giants were?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is luck, on multiple levels. Between the injury to Ginn and the backup not carrying the ball properly, that's luck twice.

You can dress it up all you want. I've got no issues with the Giants, but they got lucky on 4 huge plays in that game (2 in the return game, 2 easy ints dropped due to collisions). More power to them for taking advantage of the breaks, but I'm not going to pretend they didn't catch breaks on those 4 plays.

I guess it all depends on how far you want to stretch the definition of luck.

Also, I don't know how anyone sees the helmet catch as "lucky."

Is any great catch or great play by an athlete "lucky"?

Asante Samuel uncharacteristically dropping an INT is lucky; the catch wasn't.

Also Steve Smith dropping the slant that hit him directly in the hands while the Giants were driving which flew into Hobbs hands for a 23 yard INT return was also lucky

I guess it all depends on how far you want to stretch the definition of luck.

General luck:

luck
   [luhk]
noun
the force that seems to operate for good or ill in a person's life, as in shaping circumstances, events, or opportunities: With my luck I'll probably get pneumonia.
good fortune; advantage or success, considered as the result of chance: He had no luck finding work.
a combination of circumstances, events, etc., operating by chance to bring good or ill to a person: She's had nothing but bad luck all year.

Luck | Define Luck at Dictionary.com

My view of "luck" in sports:

Something that is either well beyond the normal event (2 collisions on easy picks) or the result of chance/fortune (Bouncing football on a fumble, inadvertent whistle, blown call by referees, or call that could have gone in either direction).

Also, I don't know how anyone sees the helmet catch as "lucky."

Thanks. I'll remember to laughingly disregard your opinion on pretty much everything after that comment.

General luck:

Something that is either well beyond the normal event (2 collisions on easy picks) or the result of chance/fortune (Bouncing football on a fumble, inadvertent whistle, blown call by referees, or call that could have gone in either direction).

while you have dictionary.com open, maybe you should look up inadvertent.

and isn't it also lucky that the throw was short due to the weather because Nicks got behind both defenders.

You really have to drop this luck thing. I'll give the KR that bounced off the guys knee, cuz that was lucky. But everything else your really trying to justify to yourself that the Giants don't belong here and its just not the reality of the situation

Thanks. I'll remember to laughingly disregard your opinion on pretty much everything after that comment.

A bit harsh, but I'll bite. Do you consider any "circus" kind of catch to be lucky?

Was Dwight Clark's catch lucky? How about Gronk's diving TD catch in the Denver playoff game?

while you have dictionary.com open, maybe you should look up inadvertent.

I know the definition. It supports my point.

and isn't it also lucky that the throw was short due to the weather because Nicks got behind both defenders.

Manning knew the conditions before making the throws. Now, if you want to go with the weather, your argument would be that it was lucky for one team or the other because some perceived uneven impact such weather would have (i.e. impact of a windy snowstorm on a dome team v. outside team).

You really have to drop this luck thing. I'll give the KR that bounced off the guys knee, cuz that was lucky. But everything else your really trying to justify to yourself that the Giants don't belong here and its just not the reality of the situation

I don't have to drop anything. You're the one who can't just let it go and accept what happened. I have no dog in the fight.

I know the definition. It supports my point.

Manning knew the conditions before making the throws. Now, if you want to go with the weather, your argument would be that it was lucky for one team or the other because some perceived uneven impact such weather would have (i.e. impact of a windy snowstorm on a dome team v. outside team).

I don't have to drop anything. You're the one who can't just let it go and accept what happened. I have no dog in the fight.

your point is fiction. Forward progress WAS stopped so it wasn't inadvertent.

When the WR beats two defenders deep and the ball doesn't get the legs due to the weather, thats just as lucky as forcing a fumble.

I have to let it go? I'm just pointing out how moronic your talking points are that you mention luck, then don't bring up how Evans caught the ball and got two feet down but it wasn't a TD or that Cundiff missed a 31 yard FG. YOu mention luck about the catch, but then neglect the fact that we shut your offense down for 14 points. You mention how lucky we are that Samuel didn't INT Eli in 07 but just take for granted that Smith dropped a ball that bounced off his hands he should of had which ended a drive we had going on you that turned into a tipped ball to Hobbs for an INT.

I can tell your the moron of these boards just by how you talk to other PAts fans. Im bored today and its slow at work so i'll entertain your lack of "points", but your the only one doing the tango of denial

your point is fiction. Forward progress WAS stopped so it wasn't inadvertent.

When the WR beats two defenders deep and the ball doesn't get the legs due to the weather, thats just as lucky as forcing a fumble.

I have to let it go? I'm just pointing out how moronic your talking points are that you mention luck, then don't bring up how Evans caught the ball and got two feet down but it wasn't a TD or that Cundiff missed a 31 yard FG. YOu mention luck about the catch, but then neglect the fact that we shut your offense down for 14 points. You mention how lucky we are that Samuel didn't INT Eli in 07 but just take for granted that Smith dropped a ball that bounced off his hands he should of had which ended a drive we had going on you that turned into a tipped ball to Hobbs for an INT.

I can tell your the moron of these boards just by how you talk to other PAts fans. Im bored today and its slow at work so i'll entertain your lack of "points", but your the only one doing the tango of denial
Feel free to make any of your other points, I happen to like it when reasonable fans of other teams come to discuss. But please stop harping on the Evans play in the endzone. By all accounts from refs, former refs, and those with any knowledge of the rules, this WAS NOT a catch. In fact most said it wasn't even close. It was an easy call. Now I admit that as a casual observer who has no knowledge of the specific rules that govern a play like this, I thought it was a close call, but then again what do I know as an uninformed casual fan.

However after its been explained over and over again by those who DO know. I don't understand why some fans continually try to rewrite history. BTW- I also hate when people call that play a "drop". It diminishes Evans and diminishes the play Moore made. It was a good pass that was incomplete because a great play by Sterling Moore.....PERIOD. Very, very close, but close only counts in horseshoes.

It is very much like the "tuck rule". At the time I too thought it was a fumble. I actually turned off the TV in disgust and if not for a phone call, would have missed the OT. As it was I missed Adams historic FG. But my point is that the Ref has stated over and over, after seeing it in the replay is was an EASY call. He knew the rule and by rule it was NOT a fumble.

While I understood the initial outrage by Oakland fans and Pats haters, I have never understand why even today, some people still think that the Raiders were somehow robbed or the Pats were lucky. Its a game governed by rules and this was simply one of them. In fact its called a dozen or so times EVERY year, with absolutely NO commentary or outrage Why is that?

Last edited:
Feel free to make any of your other points, I happen to like it when reasonable fans of other teams come to discuss. But please stop harping on the Evans play in the endzone. By all accounts from refs, former refs, and those with any knowledge of the rules, this WAS NOT a catch. In fact most said it wasn't even close. It was an easy call. Now I admit that as a casual observer who has no knowledge of the specific rules that govern a play like this, I thought it was a close call, but then again what do I know as an uninformed casual fan.

However after its been explained over and over again by those who DO know. I don't understand why some fans continually try to rewrite history. BTW- I also hate when people call that play a "drop". It diminishes Evans and diminishes the play Moore made. It was a good pass that was incomplete because a great play by Sterling Moore.....PERIOD. Very, very close, but close only counts in horseshoes.

It is very much like the "tuck rule". At the time I too thought it was a fumble. I actually turned off the TV in disgust and if not for a phone call, would have missed the OT. As it was I missed Adams historic FG. But my point is that the Ref has stated over and over, after seeing it in the replay is was an EASY call. He knew the rule and by rule it was NOT a fumble.

While I understood the initial out rage by Oakland fans and Pats haters, I have never understand why even today, some people still think that the Raiders were somehow robbed or the Pats were lucky.

im not harping on it, i swear. You guys won that game and thats cool. Im just trying to point out to this other guy if your going to suggest that some things were lucky for us, then he has to consider somethings that happened to you were lucky as well.

I agree with everything you say.

The tuck rule was a good call according to the rules. The reason Raiders fans harp on it is that a) it's kind of a weird rule and b) it completely changed the momentum in that game.

Even Brady thought he fumbled. When that D found out it was overturned, it took the spirit out of them - you could see it in the body language after the call. You can argue that a championship team should be able to move on from that & still play tough, but that call really changed the mindset of both teams in the game.

General luck:

Fine, then it depends on how you want to interpret 'well beyond the normal event'. I don't consider whacking the ball out of a guy's hand to fall into that description.

Without luck (Helmet catch, no calls on blatant holds), the 2007 Patriots would have gone 19-0 and would be considered by many to be the greatest team in NFL history. Sorry, but the notion that too much is made of luck is not going to sell here.

I'd rather take Luck than cheating

Re: How come NO Mediots are talking about....

I watched ESPN, and in my opinion, the OP is being too sensitive. I saw an equal amount of coverage on the punt return fumble and the Boldin drop.

The storyline seemed to be, "Do either of these teams belong in the Super Bowl?"

Gotta love manufactured controversy.

Watching ESPN Sunday night, Monday and today the OP is not being too sensitive. They are overrating Manning (not the Giants) to the high mighty maximum. He is suddenly the best QB in the league, he is even better than their other boy, the other Manning. All because Brady didn't throw any TDs against the Ravens.

ESPN has gone on discussing the Evans catch should've been reviewed. That it was a TD. That Joe Flacco outplayed Brady. ESPN didn't mention the fumble from Bradshaw being a ruled dead, until Harbough bought to their attention. They don't mention or highlight the dropped INTs Manning threw. But when they highlight the Ravens and Pats game, they just show Brady's INTs and all the work the Ravens did. As if the Ravens should've won that game and E is a legend because Williams handed the Giants the game.

Please.

ESPN can keep overrating Manning as far as I'm concerned. They need to somehow make this game look competitive. It is after all, the Pats high-rolling offense and much improved D taking on an average Giants team.

Too bad this is gonna be a low-rated SB because the Patriots is gonna blow this trash out 38-17, maybe 24 after the Pats D get too tired to care anymore.

Last edited:
I'd rather take Luck than cheating

It took you a whole 15 posts before you definitively proved you're a troll. Congrats for making it that far.

Re: How come NO Mediots are talking about....

Watching ESPN Sunday night, Monday and today the OP is not being too sensitive. They are overrating Manning (not the Giants) to the high mighty maximum. He is suddenly the best QB in the league, he is even better than their other boy, the other Manning. All because Brady didn't throw any TDs against the Ravens.

ESPN has gone on discussing the Evans catch should've been reviewed. That it was a TD. That Joe Flacco outplayed Brady. ESPN didn't mention the fumble from Bradshaw being a ruled dead, until Harbough bought to their attention. They don't mention or highlight the dropped INTs Manning threw. But when they highlight the Ravens and Pats game, they just show Brady's INTs and all the work the Ravens did. As if the Ravens should've won that game and E is a legend because Williams handed the Giants the game.

Please.

ESPN can keep overrating Manning as far as I'm concerned. They need to somehow make this game look competitive. It is after all, the Pats high-rolling offense and much improved D taking on an average Giants team.

Too bad this is gonna be a low-rated SB because the Patriots is gonna blow this trash out 38-17, maybe 24 after the Pats D get too tired to care anymore.

What about the Gronk catch ruled incomplete but Simms said it was a catch?
Speaking of that where was Ernie Adams up in the booth on that play?

It took you a whole 15 posts before you definitively proved you're a troll. Congrats for making it that far.

thank u thank u congrats appreciated and u bub are the biggest blind eye homer on this board but hey everone needs one

thank u thank u congrats appreciated and u bub are the biggest blind eye homer on this board but hey everone needs one

Ah yes, Deus the blind eyed homer.

I'm saving this post.

Anybody who has played sports acknowledges that luck is part of the game.

Caterwauling about it is the definition of boring.

BOTH teams got lucky last sunday. What is the big deal? It happens every year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back