Welcome to PatsFans.com

How Charitable Are The Candidates?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jan 24, 2012.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,988 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Romney Tax Returns Show $7 Million in Donations Over 2 Years - Businessweek

Romney's average is 16.4 percent not sure what it is if you deduct the Morman church money.

That would be $80,600

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +452 / 12 / -14

Mormons are supposed to pay 10% tithe to the church, given the important position the Romney's hold in the church I would guess that of the 16% he donated 10% was for the Church 6% to other charities.

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

I saw that Joe Biden donated $359.

[​IMG]

4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I once had someone ask me how much I donated to charity. I can't think of a more inappropriate question to ask someone.

Honestly, how much each candidate gives to charity is no one's business but their own. This should not be public knowledge.

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

I see your point, but since everyone wants a look at their tax returns, is it public knowledge.

6. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,988 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

I think it is very important ... if you talk compassion then you should walk compassion.

7. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +425 / 8 / -4

There's a difference b/t asking a stranger or even a friend and asking a candidate.

I say this for 2 reasons: (i) it can speak to character (unlike the average guy on the street, most candidates are quite wealthy), and (ii) if somebody claims to empathize with a particular group's plight, it would be insightful to see if they actually back that up financially.

8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +568 / 22 / -19

I think it's easy to give money. Time is far harder to give. I tend to give money, as I would guess most people do. To me, you can't get a fair measure of charitable income without understanding ones disposable income, one's contribution of time and work, and the nature of the charities they give to. A politician's donations can often be self serving, but we'd have to see exactly where the money went.

9. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,988 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

we had a thread here once that showed that people of meager means were more charitable percentage wise than people who had more ... I'll have to find it.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/12/444334-charitable-giving-divide.html

Also this one.
    http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...r-compassionate-democrat-not.html#post1031491

10. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +425 / 8 / -4

It depends, doesn't it? For some people, time is easier to give, for others $ is. One's not better than the other, imo, as both are needed.

You're certainly right that giving can be self-serving, but if a candidate hasn't given at all (Biden? don't know if it's true) yrt is worth millions, that's probably telling.

11. Patters

Ratings:
    +568 / 22 / -19

Biden to his credit has never been a rich man. He clearly has not used his position to gain wealth, while others appear to have done so. So, while he may not give much to charity (which is wrong of him, I think), he does at least seem to be ethical in other important ways.

Also, I think it's important to note that charitable giving is defined by tax law. Thus, when I give $100 to a gay marriage group (MassEquality), it's not considered a charitable donation. But, when someone gives $100 to the Mormon church (anti-gay marriage, and actively so), it is considered a charitable donation.

There are a lot of complexities with charities and donations. For example, one of the links you provided includes a link (from you) that liberals donate less blood. Gays, who tend to be liberal, are still not allowed to donate blood, which is absurd for a number of reasons (including the likelihood that the people to worry about most are the married, closeted gays who engage in risky sex).

Also, how do you factor in that liberals are more likely to be involved in help professions than others, thus in a sense make donations through their work choices. I took a $60K pay cut to become a therapist in a poor community (and by the way at least two of my colleagues did something similar). That's not a donation in the classic sense, but in some ways it should be factored in.

I guess my point is that the issue of charitable giving is awfully complex.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In other words, when a republican gives millions more than a democrat, all of a sudden it "is awfully complex." :rofl: :rofl:

13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +815 / 26 / -33

Biden is on the low side, but it is more than is reported in this thread..

Biden Tax Return: Charitable Donations on the Low Side - Forbes

The national average for someone in his tax bracket is about $9,500....

14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I agree it can be telling, but that doesn't mean we have a right to know about a candidate's charitable giving or lack of.

But to RW's point, because tax returns are public knowledge, so are charitable donations....unless a person decided not to claim it on their tax returns.

Now THAT would be truly noble and comparssionate

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

Take out check book.

Write out check.

Sign.

Mail or hand to charity.

Seems incredibly complicated.

16. Patters

Ratings:
    +568 / 22 / -19

I'm talking about the way we measure a person's contributions. For example, the thousands who march to raise money to find a cure for cancer make a substantial contribution that does not show up in any standard measure.

17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Nor do the countless man hours involved in working in a soup kitchen, or collecting coats for the homeless or the hours spent working a rape hotline or a suicide hotline or teaching a dysletic to read or a child with a disablity to tie his shoes or a new citizen to speak English or fill out a form. Nor does a doctor who sees patients for free every Wednesday morning fill that out on his income tax return - or the CPA who fills out income tax returns for the poor for 3 hours a week write it off as a deduction for himself.

Any time someone gives their time they are donating to charity because that time could have been money to them had they charged for their services rather than given them away.

There are millions of people who, lacking money, donate time, energy, expertise and physical labor which is equally valuable but not equally deductible.

18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Why would anyone deserve "credit" for not being a rich man. That is neither nothing to admire or criticize someone about. He deserves no credit for not being rich.

19. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +425 / 8 / -4

I didn't say we have the right to know -- we have the right to ask, they have the right to tell or not tell.

20. Real World

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

Actually, since people making more than $250k are considered rich by....:D

--------------------------------

Yes, donating one's time is absolutely an awesome thing. In some ways time (i.e. manpower) is just as important as money.