PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How certain is it Moss leaves in 2011???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: How certain is it Moss leaves in 2011 ???

I'd state that Marvin Harrison is too, even thou his numbers have tailed off recently.

His body count his higher than is receptions last season ;)

But seriously, Harrison retired at 35/36, so I really don't think he is a freak of a body as T.O. But T.O. is too old to be a serious threat anymore.

Plan B if Moss doesn't come back is to hope that Tate or Price can be a #1, and their play and work ethic this year should give us a good idea. I think that our receiving corps minus Moss but with Wes healthy and 100% would still be stronger than those on the three title teams.

Granted, we need to play better D and run the ball better to live without a top-of-the line #1 WR, but with our recent picks on D and our hoped-for youth movement at RB in next year's draft or free agency, I think that we can get there.

Last edited:
I think it's time to move on after 2010. Go out and get a guy in the draft if you feel the need for another #1 with those big 4 WR's likely coming out.

It's better to get rid of a guy a year early than a year late IMO. I can't imagine and don't want the Pats giving a 34 year old WR with a slight frame the type of money that Moss likely wants. I'd welcome him back at a reduced rate but I think he's likely to price himself out of NE.

Do you actually think Moss would make a decision as to his team of choice after 2010 based on what Felger and Callhan say or think?:rolleyes:

Sure because it is not just them. The weak-minded among the press (i.e. most of them) just follow suit and start hitting on Moss for no reason. Even DA whom I thought could use his own eyes has turned on Moss. The press in this town sux and they have sucked since they tried to run Ted Williams off. I would never play for such a press corp. Yesterday's hero; tomorrow's goat (Big Papi for instance).

I think it's an absolute certainty that Moss is leaving in 2011. From his comments, it doesn't sound like he's willing to take a paycut. And, based on the way this team has handled their money over the last few years, it doesn't appear as if they're going to pay him what he wants to stay. The question isn't whether or not we should sign Owens to cover. The question is whether or not the receivers we have on hand now are enough to cover for the loss of a guy who is still one of the game's premier deep threats.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing A.J. Green or Julio Jones drafted either. :cool:

I think it's an absolute certainty that Moss is leaving in 2011. From his comments, it doesn't sound like he's willing to take a paycut. And, based on the way this team has handled their money over the last few years, it doesn't appear as if they're going to pay him what he wants to stay. The question isn't whether or not we should sign Owens to cover. The question is whether or not the receivers we have on hand now are enough to cover for the loss of a guy who is still one of the game's premier deep threats.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing A.J. Green or Julio Jones drafted either. :cool:

Would you toss a couple of picks to Detroit for Johnson?

Would they give him up?

I've not seen any indications that they would. It was just a question asked out of curiousity.

Definitely. I think he's the most complete and best WR in the game at this point. Him and Brady together would be absolutely lethal. Not many 6'5 guys like him who can burn you deep and punish you over the middle. A rare breed.

Would you? I don't think they'd consider moving him though, unfortunately. :(

Definitely. I think he's the most complete and best WR in the game at this point. Him and Brady together would be absolutely lethal. Not many 6'5 guys like him who can burn you deep and punish you over the middle. A rare breed.

Would you? I don't think they'd consider moving him though, unfortunately. :(

Absolutely. Get him and the questions about what the Patriots will do after Moss would disappear from my mind.

Of course. I doubt the team will package together multiple high end picks for him on top of paying his salary though...

Last edited:
Of course. I doubt the team will package together multiple high end picks for him on top of paying his salary though...

I don't either. Plus, Detroit would probably be asking for absolutely insane compensation back, if they were to put him on the trade market.

I don't either. Plus, Detroit would probably be asking for absolutely insane compensation back, if they were to put him on the trade market.

Yeah. It might be easier to just take a chance on either Green or Jones (two outstanding WR prospects). However, they are no sure thing and I don't see the team drafting a WR early in the first round (assuming we would have to use the Raiders pick [assuming we finish ahead of the Raiders] to so).

It also will be interesting to see how our own receivers (Price, Tate) develop this year before going out and worrying about getting a stud deep threat. If they turn into solid players, as well as Hernandez we could see our offense shift to a more intermediate range offense, rather than relying on Moss to run the fly routes.

Last edited:
It also will be interesting to see how our own receivers (Price, Tate) develop this year before going out and worrying about getting a stud deep threat. If they turn into solid players, as well as Hernandez we could see our offense shift to a more intermediate range offense, rather than relying on Moss to run the fly routes.

If that happens, we would need the run blocking to improve immensely since that would once again become a key cog.

Absolutely. Get him and the questions about what the Patriots will do after Moss would disappear from my mind.

Agreed. He's someone I always try to trade for in Madden when I do my Pats franchise hahah :p. When I was 15 in 2007, it was the first year I really started following the draft religiously with the scouting reports and such. I didn't know as much about trade value as I do now that I'm older and I've followed the draft closely over the last 3 years, but I thought Calvin was an absolute beast and I wanted the Pats to trade up and get him (not knowing what it would have cost) so badly. But then they got Moss and I was very happy with that.

He's always been one of my favorite players to watch. I think he could set this league on fire if he had a QB like Brady and a team like the Pats. Calvin, Welker, Tate, Price, Edelman would be a pretty sick, and very young, WR corps to go to battle with.

But as you guys said, it's highly unlikely. They'd want a ridiculous amount of picks. I remember last year a topic like this was brought up in the Draft Forum. A writer suggested the Lions deal Calvin off for a couple of picks to re-stock and re-build their team.

Here's the thread:
PatsFans.com - Draft Forum - Calvin Johnson Anyone?

The Yahoo link on that page no longer works, but I found the original article here:
Drew Sharp: Trading WR Calvin Johnson Would Net Lions Bevy of Good Talent

Last edited:
Coming out of college, the order of the big four that I want are:
4. Julio Jones
3. Jonathan Baldwin
2. A.J. Green
1. Michael Floyd

I wouldn't mind any of them though, I just don't want to pick any of them with the Raiders pick.

I wonder what another '07-like season would do for Moss' deliberations. Frankly, I can't see an outcome that keeps him here. A ring means "Hey I got what I came here for!" Another record season or close to it might be nice - "Wow... can I really replace that kind of production from a QB?" - but on the other hand, just raises his market value in the first place.

Sounds like he's about ready to get paid before the window closes, and to a tune the Pats won't likely be playing.

I don't think it is at all certain he leaves. I doubt anyone really wants to pay a 33 year old WR big bucks...plus he may be slowing a bit. Plus he wants as many shots at as many rings as he can get and probably knows he has a short window left.

Apparently the conclusion is that Moss is worth another highly compensated contract for a couple of years, but that the patriots won't be willing to pay. Is that your conclusion?

I wonder what another '07-like season would do for Moss' deliberations. Frankly, I can't see an outcome that keeps him here. A ring means "Hey I got what I came here for!" Another record season or close to it might be nice - "Wow... can I really replace that kind of production from a QB?" - but on the other hand, just raises his market value in the first place.

Sounds like he's about ready to get paid before the window closes, and to a tune the Pats won't likely be playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes