PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How can we eliminate the 3 and outs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a team that gets pressed as hard as we do, we throw very few screens, particularly in comparison to every season leading up to this one. Surprising to me considering how many versatile blockers we have on the field almost every play.

we are not an amazing running team, we should not be running it on first down right away

oftentimes in the first half this this leads to a 2 or 3 yard gain, at which point we pass for 5 yds, or run for another 3 or 4...

sometimes the inclompletion happens on 2nd down, allowing for a long 3rd conversion, or if we run both 1st and 2nd down and get good yardage we dont run it a third time for some reason, we pass it and get an incompletion

so the remedy? stop running on 1st down so much in the 1st half, the reason the prob is not there in the 2nd half is b/c the team has less time left in the game to put up some numbers, so they are more aggressive, and begin to pass on 1st down more....and that brings success

so yes, in the 1st half, split the 1st down plays b/w run and pass, and we should be fine (maybe even more passes than runs)

Go for it on 4th down.

we are not an amazing running team, we should not be running it on first down right away

oftentimes in the first half this this leads to a 2 or 3 yard gain, at which point we pass for 5 yds, or run for another 3 or 4...

sometimes the inclompletion happens on 2nd down, allowing for a long 3rd conversion, or if we run both 1st and 2nd down and get good yardage we dont run it a third time for some reason, we pass it and get an incompletion

so the remedy? stop running on 1st down so much in the 1st half, the reason the prob is not there in the 2nd half is b/c the team has less time left in the game to put up some numbers, so they are more aggressive, and begin to pass on 1st down more....and that brings success

so yes, in the 1st half, split the 1st down plays b/w run and pass, and we should be fine (maybe even more passes than runs)
The Patriots have a serviceable running game. Currently, the team is ranked 2nd in passing yards and 15th in rushing yards. The issue with the rushing attack is we're often obvious in design and teams are able to anticipate that. A little mix up of the use of screens, play-action, RB dump offs etc would give an extra dynamic to the rush rather than relying solely on Brady.

All of that said counts for naught if the offensive line keeps up their sporadic blocking performances.

Interesting read. At first look at the title of this thread my answer was simple just run the ball more. After reading the article I still think that is the answer. I think we do have a good running game given the chance and focus (in practice) will get us there. Now we are dealing with some injuries to the OL right now but over the past 8 weeks I just think we need to run the ball more. On first down, second, third or heck fourth we just need to run it more to keep the defense off the field which happens a lot with 3 and outs with 35 seconds ticking off the clock (Steeler's game).

The article does make some good points but most teams do not have Tom Brady which totally changes things. Alex Smith, Flacco, McCoy, Tebow:D:D run the ball on First down because of their QB. Heck Matt Ryan, Schaub, Fitzpatick and even Ben Roethlisberger depend on a strong running game. As a defensive coach you can commit the extra guy to the box but Tom Brady?? you just cannot take that chance too often. He gets too much respect and with the TE play down field catching the ball keeps those safety's playing soft. Do not change so much as execute what the defense is giving you but the last 8 weeks I find the offense is trying to force the pass too much.

Well this is just my opinion and I coach and play in the Canadian rules where we hardly see the run. I just think you have to be able to run the ball especially in December and January so we better establish a running game to get us to a Superbowl. We all know Tom can throw but when we can dominate on the ground as well might get us over the top.

Quick look at our three losses.

Bills - 25 runs 45 passes. We were up 14 points early and IMO should have commited more to the run that game.

Steelers - 12 runs 35 passes. Again I think we went away from the run too quickly. I like our set with Soldier at TE but with the injuries at OT that set may have to wait till playoffs.

Giants - 22 runs 49 passes. HOF QB I get it but with our defense we just need to even this up to avoid three and outs and putting our young defense which is has been transitioning from the 3-4 to get comfortable.

My point is do not abandon the run make it something you work on to be successful in the playoffs. When I see eight or nine men in the box against Brady I will change my opinion but we need to focus on the run more going forward.

An easy fix is to add a down, now have 5 downs to get 10 yards, then the 4th down would become the old 3rd down..

Last edited by a moderator:
...by converting 3rd downs! :D

Last edited:
BB could give the halftime speech before the start of the game and make the team think they are starting the 2nd half...though I wonder what that wold leave for the real second half?

I wonder how many different types of defenses a team can prepare for? Are people running out of ways to effectively jam the receivers and flood the short to intermediate routes?

I wish Brady could take off and run occasionally. (Of course to be safe he would need to get out of bounds or "baseball" slide.) If he could do that even a few times, he would screw up some of the defensive game plans.

Considering we are 3rd on points scored, 2nd in yards, 2nd in 1st downs (1 behind NO) and have punted the 5th fewest times in the NFL, I think the answer is we already have been avoiding them.

My dead cat could beat Brady in a foot race

As an outsider watching almost all of your games,I have a ton of uneducated and "made up in my own mind" reasons for this.

1. Is they need to shorten the 1st down marker for the Pats in the 1st 1/2. They could change it to 8 yards for a 1st and you will make it every time.

2. By watching BB's season on the NFL channel, I saw that he and Brady game plan by changing their plays to fit who they play. This might cause some confusion for the players from week to week and they might be having a tough time adjusting in the 1st 1/2. Maybe tone down the adjustments and work on the fundamentals. Or use the adapted plays when you have already establish a lead.

3. Replace Pats heavy Plated pads and Gear with light and comfortable styrofoam. Yes, the miracle of space age styrofoam would give the Pats a huge speed advantage , and sense your guys are getting hurt all the time anyways, who cares about 1st impact:)

4. Running game. Its not alright to say you don't have one. You need to find one. IF I were BB I might even try pounding the ball 3 times in a row the 1st set. Anything to get the OL to find their grove and start to get good at it. Problem with abandoning the run is then the OL/TE and RB's never get very good at it. And it would surprise any team if the Pats started pounding the rock in the 1st quarter.

5. One word "load the muskets". Errr that might be more than one, but Im from the Louisiana educational system. On 3th down your mascots should load real rounds. That way when your pocket collapses one of your trusty minute men can cute down the DL before they get to Tom :)
...and Its an excellent incentive for your players to "Do their Jobs". A carefully aim shot to dispatch Ocho on a dropped ball should go a long way to showing the players BB mean business.

6. For some reason it seems to be a trend that the Pats start out slow then , kick your butt. It might be adjustments , like ppl have suggested, or it might be they are just not ready to play right off the bat, but their does seem to be a trend.

7. The pinata effect or a zagg shield.
Apple iPad 2 (Wi-Fi 3G) Screen Protector | invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG
Yess , I know this have been brought up many times, but I still like it.
Brady usually get away from the first attempt of a sack, but if he had tasty treats bursting to the ground after that 1st hit, the DL would waste their time scarfing them up, and it makes them sluggish later.
.. or just coat each of your players in a Zagg shield to completely protect them.. works great on my iPad. Plus their under warrentee .

Maybe not all good, but hope it helps

As an outsider watching almost all of your games,I have a ton of uneducated and "made up in my own mind" reasons for this.

1. Is they need to shorten the 1st down marker for the Pats in the 1st 1/2. They could change it to 8 yards for a 1st and you will make it every time.

2. By watching BB's season on the NFL channel, I saw that he and Brady game plan by changing their plays to fit who they play. This might cause some confusion for the players from week to week and they might be having a tough time adjusting in the 1st 1/2. Maybe tone down the adjustments and work on the fundamentals. Or use the adapted plays when you have already establish a lead.

3. Replace Pats heavy Plated pads and Gear with light and comfortable styrofoam. Yes, the miracle of space age styrofoam would give the Pats a huge speed advantage , and sense your guys are getting hurt all the time anyways, who cares about 1st impact:)

4. Running game. Its not alright to say you don't have one. You need to find one. IF I were BB I might even try pounding the ball 3 times in a row the 1st set. Anything to get the OL to find their grove and start to get good at it. Problem with abandoning the run is then the OL/TE and RB's never get very good at it. And it would surprise any team if the Pats started pounding the rock in the 1st quarter.

5. One word "load the muskets". Errr that might be more than one, but Im from the Louisiana educational system. On 3th down your mascots should load real rounds. That way when your pocket collapses one of your trusty minute men can cute down the DL before they get to Tom :)
...and Its an excellent incentive for your players to "Do their Jobs". A carefully aim shot to dispatch Ocho on a dropped ball should go a long way to showing the players BB mean business.

6. For some reason it seems to be a trend that the Pats start out slow then , kick your butt. It might be adjustments , like ppl have suggested, or it might be they are just not ready to play right off the bat, but their does seem to be a trend.

7. The pinata effect or a zagg shield.
Apple iPad 2 (Wi-Fi 3G) Screen Protector | invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG
Yess , I know this have been brought up many times, but I still like it.
Brady usually get away from the first attempt of a sack, but if he had tasty treats bursting to the ground after that 1st hit, the DL would waste their time scarfing them up, and it makes them sluggish later.
.. or just coat each of your players in a Zagg shield to completely protect them.. works great on my iPad. Plus their under warrentee .

Maybe not all good, but hope it helps

All fair and reasonable pieces of advice ;)

Just do me a favor, and take care of Green Bay in the NFCCG...as you are clearly the only team that has any shot of ending this nonsense.

I wish Brady could take off and run occasionally. (Of course to be safe he would need to get out of bounds or "baseball" slide.) If he could do that even a few times, he would screw up some of the defensive game plans.

This. Brady could get a bunch of first downs (even with his "speed") because he often has huge lanes to run in.

I can understand the concern but this offense is second only to GB in offensive efficiency (points per minute). I'm not sure if I want to play around with this offense too much.

In addition, it's not like this team doesn't convert 3rd downs as they are hitting on 44% of them which is 7th in the league. What is interesting is that they are 30th in 3rd downs as a whole.

Just need to avoid long 3rd downs. Better execution,running effectively,avoiding penalties.

EDIT: Also a consistent outside threat who can beat the guy in front of him would go a long way.

Last edited:
Considering we are 3rd on points scored, 2nd in yards, 2nd in 1st downs (1 behind NO) and have punted the 5th fewest times in the NFL, I think the answer is we already have been avoiding them.

We could be better, one team is 11-0 scoring 35 a game, we could be in that same category. Sure it didn't matter in 07 but being top 5 doesn't mean we can't improve.

I will always take Brady's word, he was upset over a slow start and missed opportunities, some will say but we scored 34, cool but Brady is still active and has high standards for himself.

All good points but we are 27 in time of possession. Keeping this offense on the field more wearing down a defense will help this team and our defense in particular.

NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Average Time of Possession (Excluding OT) on TeamRankings.com

I just think our offense will be much better with more of a focus on the running game.

Bill, I've asked you to stop asking fans on message boards for the answers to all of your problems. If you can't figure out how to eliminate 3 and outs, and the entire NFL, in its history, hasn't been able to figure it out, what makes you think that some guy posting from the peanut gallery would be able to solve your problems. You're a coach and only a moron coach would start threads on a message board asking such brain dead questions. If you continue to do this, I'm going to have to forward your threads to Mr. Kraft. Please, use your head on this one. Study some film. Do you think that anyone on a message board has more to say than some silly clichés?

Bill, Please get back to coaching and stop making these pointless threads

thanks

the Fans ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back