Welcome to PatsFans.com

How can those who created the problem fix the problem by doing more of the same?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Jan 21, 2009.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +152 / 7 / -13

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

The article overlooks the fact that deregulated capitalism is what caused the problem and that millions of people are already unemployed. Typical of a conservative think tank: ignore the facts and don't give a damn about people. In other words, let the people starve while waiting for avarice to solve its own problems.
  3. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

until corporations are held accountable and the interests of the individual outweigh the corporation we will be in this mess for a long long time. corporations own the government
  4. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Tell it to Barney Frank. HE is the ONE who prevented any regulation of the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac impending implosion, when Geo W Bush and then John McCain called for oversight and regulation, starting way back in 2001.

YouTube - Timeline shows Bush, McCain warning Dems of financial mess

YOU are the one who is blatantly ignoring facts. Such a blind eye to the truth does not bode well for you or -- if applied to public policy -- for the public as well.

OP raises a most legitimate question: how can those who caused this mess now solve it???? As for me and my house, we are praying Obama will see the light and follow it because if he does not and simply caves to the special interests in Congress and elsewhere, the U.S. is in for some very dark and miserable times.

//
  5. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

In another thread on a similar subject, I posted a link to an article listing about half a dozen bills to deal with the financial situation that were introduced by both Democrats and Republicans in 2003, but which the Republican leadership did not allow to the floor. Yes, there were also a couple bills that the Democrats did not allow to advance. At any rate, you seem to know only one side of the facts, and since you do not pay attention to the links others provide on the subject, there's really no point in discussing this particular issue with you further.

Also, the fact that you don't hold the investors to any account (the one's who actually caused the crisis by hoping to capitalize on all the risky mortgages) or the Fed Reserve for lowering bank interest rates 11x during Bush's 2001 recession so they could finance private lenders without maintaining decent reserves tells me you're not yet ready to accept responsibility for the role that views like yours played in economic crisis. At any rate, the voters got it right, and I'm sure there's some liberal praying for you.
  6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

If this recession was caused by laziness I'd agree. If we as a people weren't willing to get up each day and work longer and harder than many other nations then stimulus packages would be a waste. In France they grumble about having to work a 4 day week and demand 6 weeks of vacation each year. Even while they're at work they want the government to send someone to clean up their house:confused: How they all haven't ended up in cardboard boxes by now is beyond me. Americans have a different work ethic though.
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

You know, sdaniels, I think you're buying into a myth. Americans are more productive, but do not work harder than people elsewhere. I worked for a premier technology company and I use to complain to my boss that I didn't have enough to do. I was finally promoted to manager, and my staff would constantly complain about how hard they worked, and I'd say, "What are you talking about? We don't have enough to do?" There were days when I didn't have more than 4 hours of work, and from what I know of other jobs, that's true in many fields. And when I worked in Europe (in several countries), I worked with people from all over the world in a company that required long hours and hard work, but I never saw evidence that one nationality worked harder than another nationality. Lastly, I think most workers here would want 4 day work weeks and 6 weeks of vacation, but too many of them have been fooled by the corporations into being anti-union. Maybe things will get better now that a liberal government has returned, but we don't yet know the face of liberalism 2008 style.
  8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

If I had more time I'd look some more but a real quick google search brought this up. When you're talking million of people of course they're be thousands who don't follow the general rule; but the general rule seems pretty clear to me.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +152 / 7 / -13

Capitalism deregulated????????????

:rolleyes:

That pretty funny Patters... thanks for the giggles.

The point about gov spemnding money without creating value stands.
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +152 / 7 / -13

When is government held accountable?
    :confused:
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Government has vastly more transparency than private enterprise or individuals. It is held accountable. Do you really need me to list examples of government being held accountable over the last 8 years for it's failures? Do you really not see the electorate by voting out the Republicans in 2006 and 2008 not holding government accountable? Government only holds about 20% of the nation's total debt, so even by that measure it appears that government is far more prudent than private enterprise and individuals. At any rate, I do agree that Bush tried not to hold government accountable, but he ultimately failed and the American people threw out the Republicans.

It's private enterprise that is not held accountable because it can coverup it's misdeeds. In the last few years, we've not only had Abramoff scandals, but also mutual fund scandals, mortgage company scandals, and many, many others. Imagine if private enterprise had the same standard of transparency as government -- then investors big and small would be protected.

But, again, that you would acknowledge that government is not held accountable appears to reflect your disappointment in the former President and the Republican Congress he had.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  12. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Everybody knows that whenever the Dems offer up a bill on "regulation" or funding the troops or whatever else, that bill is almost always back-loaded with private pork and special interest spending. So your argument that the Repubs weren't for oversight and regulation of the impending economic holocaust caused by the CRA and abuses of Fannie May and Freedie Mac is just not true. Political boiler-plate. Nothing more.

//
  13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +152 / 7 / -13

Dodd and Frank and Raines have not been held accountable for the malfieance in the mortgage crisis. When they are arrested let us know.
  14. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Ludwig von Mises Institute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1) Right wing think tanks are not to be taken seriously, of course, they are advancing right wing arguments and selectively choosing arguments to support conclusions they've already established. This is backwards, of course, to the way rational thought works.

2) How in the world can one be a "right libertarian academic organization"?
  15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +152 / 7 / -13

Try M Freidman, T Sowell, F HAyek and of course Vom Mises was a brilliant economist.

I guess in your woeld only Marxist thought is valid?
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 4 / -2

Try nevah.
  17. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Awesome! M. Friedman's ideas are what got us in to our mess today. Horrible example and a dangerous man.
  18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +152 / 7 / -13

Actually the pubbies the last 8 years were about as far from Freidman as the dems, economically what are you talking about? :rolleyes:
  19. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

What? Free markets and privatization? You must have your Milton Friedmans mixed up.