PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How bright is the future of the Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year, you could have had Garrett Blount of Oregon who went undrafted and is a stud for Tampa Bay.
If you build the OL, TE, FB positions properly there would be more than 50 NFL RBs who could produce like stars on that kind of team.

My take is they are looking for the next Richard Seymour and Willie McGinist on D in this years draft. Shore up the O-line and add a bruising back and you have they have the make-up of a second dynasty. Gotta hit with these upcoming picks in April. #17, #28, #33 and #60 is insanely well positioned picks! I could see some some trades for proven players in the cards in the next few months.

I like the looks of this team going forward, how could you not?!?

In BB I trust................:cool:

Last edited:
Last year, you could have had Garrett Blount of Oregon who went undrafted and is a stud for Tampa Bay.
All 32 NFL teams passed on Blount after the incident against Boise State. I don't recall one single person suggesting that he be brought signed - and I'm guessing that was probably the same case for the 31 other fan bases. In fact I believe the only reason Tampa Bay even considered him was because Derrick Ward turned out to be a bust and somebody else (Cadillac Williams or Earnest Graham) was hurt.

Obviously that kind of hindsight is easy to say now.

Jim Donaldson: State of the Patriots is strong, indeed | New England Patriots | projo.com | The Providence Journal

So, what is needed for the Patriots to snap their now three-game postseason losing streak in the 2011 playoffs?

Although the offensive line played well much of this past season - Brady also helps make them look good by his quick recognition and release - the protection wasn't what it should have been against the Jets in the playoffs, and veteran left tackle Matt Light may be looking for more money than he's worth in his upcoming contract talks.

As for the Patriots, while hard-running BenJarvus Green-Ellis became the first New England back since Corey Dillon in 2004 to rush for more than 1,000 yards, the Pats' running game is set up by Brady's passing rather than the other way around.

A young back with breakaway potential would further enhance an attack that, while highly productive last season, could break down completely if Brady, who'll be 34 in training camp, goes down with an injury.

While some would argue that the Patriots' prolific production after the departure of Randy Moss shows they can get by without a dangerous deep threat, others - and I would be one of them - would say it's always a plus for an offense, especially one with Brady at the controls, to have a big-play receiver who can score from anywhere, at any time. They don't have one right now.

Defensively, the return of a healthy Ty Warren, who missed all of the 2010 season with a hip injury, should significantly bolster the defensive line, which was a bit of a patchwork down the stretch.

Every team craves a dominating pass rusher, but those guys are hard to come by, so don't expect the Pats to come up with one next season, even though they have draft picks aplenty - six in the first three rounds, and three in the top 33.

That prospective infusion of young talent is, however, yet another reason for optimism in New England.

The State of Patriot Nation, it appears, is better than the State of the Union.

Despite sour ending, Pats' season had its moments | New England Patriots | The Providence Journal

You can’t take away a 14-2 season. You can’t take away the fact that Tom Brady had one of his best regular seasons. You can’t take away the fact that this young team overcame injury after injury and kept winning games.

There were a lot memorable moments for the Patriots in 2010, from the emergence of rookie cornerback Devin McCourty, and tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, to the signing of Danny Woodhead, to Randy Moss’ one-handed touchdown catch against the Jets in week Two, to the Patriots’ handing the Jets their worst loss in 24 years in Week 13.

So with that in mind, here are six memorable moments from their spectacular regular season.

6. The departure of Moss and signing of Deion Branch

5. Patriots erase 10-point deficit to beat Baltimore Ravens, 23-20

4. Patrick Chung’s huge night in Miami.

3. Dan Connolly’s kickoff return

2. Brady’s record-setting season.

1. Patriots win AFC East title and secure first-round bye.

Last edited:
IMO OL is going to turnover, so lets address that, get a rb. I see all this talk about a bruiser only because we have watched the Steelers "pound" it and get to another SB. That's never been the offensive philosophy in NE. So I'm more inclined to get the homerun hitter here. Get DL depth and keep stockpiling picks for down the road. Have been drinking the "kool-aid" BB pouring and will continue to drink it by the GALLONS!

I don't recall one single person suggesting that he be brought signed - and I'm guessing that was probably the same case for the 31 other fan bases.

There were lots of draft day threads about guys being overlooked, some for reasons other than skill level, and many people (including me) though Blount would be a great 7th round pick or (later) a good free agent signing.

He and Freddie Barnes were my binkies. Freddie Barnes never got a shot due to his bad workout times, but I still think a guy who can catch anything thrown anywhere near him should get a shot.

As long as Brady and BB are still breathing they will always have a bright future...

Few teams, especially in the salary cap era, have had the combination of signed high yielding talent, significant cap room, and the abundance of high draft picks that the Patriots do. They have a legitimate shot of becoming one of the best teams in NFL history. If they hit another home run in the draft, sign the right free agents, and avoid the crippling injuries then the sky is the limit.

Prognosis: contender with the chance of world domination. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye