PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How bright is the future of the Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patriotsdynasty12189

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I think ever since the Jets got eliminated from the playoffs the healing process for Patriot fans around the country can officially begin and we can honestly look at this team and thing, wow we have a great young core of potentially great players.

Lets just start here with our rookies from just this past season.

Devin McCourty- Wow what a great rookie campaign, in his first season Devin made the All-pro team and was 2nd in the league in INTs. He has shown great ability to be a shutdown corner AND a playmaker, something this team hasnt seen since Ty Law (sorry A$ante). He can tackle with the best of them and is a great TEAM player. He reminds me of Charles Woodson.

Rob Gronkowski- What else can I say, a 6'6 265 pound behemoth who is a work horse. He had 10 TDs in his rookie campaign and really made Brady's job easy in the redzone. He is a terrific young blocker and the sky is the limit for this kid. I'm very excited to see this kid get more involved in the offense and become a serious mismatch on linebackers.

Jermaine Cunningham- Is still very raw, became a starter about half-way through the season and probably would have started over TBC opening day if not for a hamstring injury. His stats dont show up enough but he gets pressure on the QB. I think he will only get better the question is if he can take that next step and be a very good nfl football player.

Brandon Spikes- A young leader, a young Ted Johnson is what people call him. I dont buy it. He is an absolute stud at stopping the run and despite his 4 game suspension, he is still a hard worker who will excel in this system next to Mayo and playing behind Wilfork. He may not be the most athletic player, but his instincts and football knowledge and toughness make up for it.

Aaron Hernandez- Dustin Keller clown, enough said. The youngest player in the league excelled this season with Brady at QB. He will only get better and just be a headache for opposing defensive coordinators.

That was just the rookies, with other budding stars such as Patrick Chung, Sebastian Volmer, and Jerod Mayo, the Patriots defense looks like its going to be solid down the road.

I didnt really have enough time to finish my thoughts but I just wanted to know what you guys all thought about our team.

We have 3 picks in the first 33.Nuff' said.

To quote Kat Von D from La Ink..."I'm stoked" about the years ahead. If we make the right draft/FA moves and the young guns deliver we could be in for 2 or 3 more visits to the Big Dance before BB and TFB are done.

I am in the camp that the Patriots should go all in for the next 4-5 years while Brady is still here and try to win it all. I think that includes moving up (as opposed to down, or into next year's draft) if a target stud player is available.

However, I am wondering if Belichick is also at the same time preparing for life without Brady with his actions. By stockpiling draft picks for each year, it seems that its only a matter of time until the Patriots draft a QB to hold the clipboard for a 2-3 years behind Brady until Brady is ready to retire. I don't think that time is now (especially in light of Brady's spectacular season) however I do realize that going all in for the next few years may mortgage years 5-10 from now.

I think a lot of this depends on what Belichick plans on doing when Brady retires. I think he could very well stay and prove that he success is more than just based on Brady (although he doesn't have to prove that to me). What are your thoughts on these two different approaches?

Doin' all right, makin' good grades...

the future's so bright, I've gotta wear shades.

128924459807896116.jpg

They need to go all out this year and add 2-3 impact players.

This is the best, most complete draft class in team history. McCourty, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Spikes, Cunningham, Mesko, Deaderick. Price has potential to be very good. This is just an insane draft.

Assuming they don't screw the pooch in this draft/FA period, pretty damn bright.

If this season was any indication, BB has just had by far his 2 best drafts ever to set us up as contenders for the forseeable future. One more good draft to shore up the interior OL and DE/OLB situations and we probably enter the next 5 seasons with '07-like expectations. Excited for the 2011 offseason/season which will tell alot. Another 12+ win season confirms we're a force for years to come. Or things could all come crashing down and we weren't as good as we thought, I don't see this happening but you never know.

Brady's performance in the last 2 playoff games are reason for concern though, as are the team's inability to adjust to what other teams are doing.

BOB has improved vastly year 1 to year 2. He came up flat when it mattered though, hopefully that's just part of his learning process and his steady improvement extends into postseason gameplanning/playcalling.

Like I said, can't wait for 2011 to come to see exactly what we have here

Actually, I have to take issue with calling Aaron Hernandez a "Dustin Keller clone."

I think that's an insult to A-Hern as I think he'll be much better than Keller.

Brady's performance in the last 2 playoff games are reason for concern though, as are the team's inability to adjust to what other teams are doing.
That's why the Pats need to get themselves an explosive franchise RB.

THIS.....:singing:

Doesn't have to be a first round pick...but a game changer that can compliment BJGE and Woody.....will help slow pass rush and also hurt defenses that put 7 DB's on the field to cover TB's recievers...

There will be room on the roster, and it just adds another weapon to the Pats offensive arsenal :rocker:

If we could get Larry Fitzgearald, the brightest ever! Lol :p

Aaron Hernandez- Dustin Keller clown, enough said.

Actually, I have to take issue with calling Aaron Hernandez a "Dustin Keller clone."

I think that's an insult to A-Hern as I think he'll be much better than Keller.

Agreed, I guess the OP meant to say he'll make Keller look like a clown ;). Am I the only one who sees Keller drop more balls then he catches?

But back to the topi, the future is bright. The kids just need experience which they got this year, and barring a lockout should get more of. Next year as long as we address some needs in the draft with the high picks and sign the key FAs we should have the most talented team in the league, they just got to put it all together.

Last edited:

That would help but I'd rather focus on interior OL and DE/OLB for now. Even if they had the franchise RB they'd need to commit to running the ball which is no guarantee. BJGE averaged over 5 yards a pop in that game IIRC.

We had enough talent this year. And to be frank, I think overall we had the most talented team in the playoffs. We don't have numerous superstars in our team, but as a collective unit, we had the best roster IMO.

We can add more talent to what we already have, but our success is dependent on Brady and how well he'll play in the playoffs. At some point in postseason play, Brady's gonna get hit. The past two years, he hasn't responded like he normally would pre-injury. He needs to get over this mental hurdle.

That would help but I'd rather focus on interior OL and DE/OLB for now. Even if they had the franchise RB they'd need to commit to running the ball which is no guarantee. BJGE averaged over 5 yards a pop in that game IIRC.
True, but the more resources they spend on the running game, the more likely they are to actually use it. The Oline could have a pro bowler at every position, but if they still throw the ball 45 times a game Brady will always get killed in the playoffs. They'll just ignore the run, pin their ears back, and flood the field with DBs.

Not to go off topic to much but with th patriots drafting a young rb like ingram, we could have to great power backs and use Danny woodhead as th change of pace. We don't know the kind of contract that bjge will demand, and ingram is the ideal back for any franchise, one who has very similar to he power of mendenhall. We can always get OL skill deep in the draft, and there isn't any must have OL right now, so why make it seem like it is. Commit to defense and get great skill players when they present themselves. Personally I think a steal o the draft is going to be bilal Powell, a real gashed who would fi in between bjge and woodhead.

Last edited:
For the next few years? It's as bright as the shoulder, knee and foot of Tom Brady are healthy. At 34, he'll be entering the "unknown territory" of a QB's career. Some are able to play at an elite level until they are 37 or 38, others begin to tail off. If he is able to sustain a top level of play, then I think there's no reason the Pats can't snare that elusive fourth trophy for the Krafts and fourth ring for Brady. By the playoffs this year, I thought we were going to do it in Dallas.

Otherwise, I'm torn between those who want to use our six picks in the first three rounds this year to load up and those who think that, sooner or later, Belichick's going to use them to trade up and grab Tommy's successor. Steve Young was in his seventh year in the league and had carried a clipboard for Joe for four seasons before he got his chance. So, nothing would surprise me.

I think Brady has a lot more elite years left in him than we think. He obviously loves the game and still has "fire" in his belly, plus him becoming a full time starter when he was 24, and missing a season in 2008, and with the performance our offensive line gives him he should have 5-6 good years left in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes