PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How bout Merriman next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash83

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
He's a free agent after this year I believe, how interested do you think BB would be in him? They probably wont resign him since they drafted English at 16 as a future replacement.

I no I no we still have to play this year and should focus on the players on the roster, its a downtime so Im lookin ahead...

i dont think bb will take merriman , doesnt seem like he fits the character of a patriot.

i dont think bb will take merriman , doesnt seem like he fits the character of a patriot.

guy could play, I hate the chargers but I can admit when healthy this guys an animal getting to the qb and playing vs the run. Dont look that much into character, the guys never been in trouble with the law, got busted once for steroids but its not the end of the world. Remember Dillon and Moss, those two worked out pretty well especially Randy.

Last edited:
guy could play, I hate the chargers but I can admit when healthy this guys an animal getting to the qb and playing vs the run.
So then why'd the Chargers draft his replacement?

Dont look that much into character, the guys never been in trouble with the law, got busted once for steroids but its not the end of the world. Remember Dillon and Moss, those two worked out pretty well especially Randy.
Dillon and Moss got suspended for steroids? First I've heard of that. Or are you going back to that tired well of trying to make every a-hole in the NFL desirable by comparing them to Dillon and Moss, even when the players and situations are totally different?

Dude I was just going to post a list of all the possible FA OLB for us next year.

1) DeMarcus Ware
2) Shawn Merriman
3) Terrell Suggs
4) Julius Peppers

Of course this is all contingent on what happens this year.;) But Merriman or Suggs could be our best options.

I remember seeing a clip of BB going up to a dejected Merrimen and gave some words of encouragement, seemingly. Merriman was polite to Coach although his team had just lost the game.

Dillon and Moss got suspended for steroids? First I've heard of that. Or are you going back to that tired well of trying to make every a-hole in the NFL desirable by comparing them to Dillon and Moss, even when the players and situations are totally different?

1) I was unaware that 3-4 teams played with one Rush LB:rolleyes: Did it ever occur that they drafted him to complement SM?

2) Im pretty sure Rodney harrison got suspended for a PED and we kept him on the roster. Why would we discard a player because of the same thing?

3) Have you met Merriman? Did he piss in your coffee? How about slap your mom? Don'T judge somebody you've never met.

Issues with Merriman:

1. Cost - he (and Ware and Suggs) will cost a fortune
2. Knee injury and long term health concerns
3. Prior suspension
4. Much more of a downhill player than typical BB OLB; doesn't have much coverage responsibility

There's no doubt he's a tremendous pass rusher and intimidating presence. I think BB has respect for him. But I think he is very unlikely. I rate Merriman #3 for the Pats behind Ware and Suggs as the top OLBs out there, but all are outstanding and it's something of a matter of style and personal preference. Suggs might be the best fit of the 3.

1) I was unaware that 3-4 teams played with one Rush LB:rolleyes: Did it ever occur that they drafted him to complement SM?

2) Im pretty sure Rodney harrison got suspended for a PED and we kept him on the roster. Why would we discard a player because of the same thing?

3) Have you met Merriman? Did he piss in your coffee? How about slap your mom? Don'T judge somebody you've never met.

Thanks for taking care of that.

Merriman + Tony Gonzales = 60 minutes of hilarity.

He's a one trick pony who's sack statistics were tremendously misleading. No, gracias.

Even the almighty patriots had a combo of 3 rush LBS. Mac rosie and vrabz. It's not agaisnt the law for sd to have three also.

Last edited:

I believe the Chargers spending power is fairly limited. They are one of those teams that doesn't even spend up to the salary cap, even when they have the room.

Also, for what it's worth, I think SD is going to groom English as an ILB.

Issues with Merriman:

1. Cost - he (and Ware and Suggs) will cost a fortune
2. Knee injury and long term health concerns
3. Prior suspension
4. Much more of a downhill player than typical BB OLB; doesn't have much coverage responsibility

There's no doubt he's a tremendous pass rusher and intimidating presence. I think BB has respect for him. But I think he is very unlikely. I rate Merriman #3 for the Pats behind Ware and Suggs as the top OLBs out there, but all are outstanding and it's something of a matter of style and personal preference. Suggs might be the best fit of the 3.

1) We have alot of money coming off the books next year.

2) See my above post about next year, that applies both for us and for him.

3) See Rodney Harrison (although he was already on the roster)

4) This is very true but he has shown the ability to cover so we will have to see what he does next year.

I like Merriman and Suggs and Ware but I think all of them could be franchised with the exception of Suggs(has a player ever been franchised three times?). Ware is without a doubt the Cowboys highest priority and Merriman could be the Chargers (Rivers might be a FA). I think a lot depends on what he does this year. If he has a great year than he should be a target of ours. If he has an iffy year than I think his price tag goes down and he could still be a target. If Crable has a breakout year, we might not be having this discussion next year. On a side note Merriman and Crable are the same age, Wow!

Last edited:

I've pissed in my coffee and slapped my mom. It's no big deal.

From September:

The action the Chargers have taken so far with Merriman speaks volumes. They have signed linebackers Shaun Phillips, Matt Wilhem and Jyles Tucker to extensions, as well as defensive tackles Luis Castillo and Ryon Bingham, cornerback Steve Gregory and safety Clinton Hart. But they have made few attempts to re-sign Merriman. There are plenty around the league who believe this is not coincidental.

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Chargers’ lack of offer to Merriman is curious

Don't shoot the messenger but do the Patriots really NEED to go after every high priced, big name linebacker/DB/OL/WR/DL that comes on the market?

1) We have alot of money coming off the books next year.

And with that money comes open roster spots which need filling which requires money not overpaying FAs, to put it simple he will be getting a huge pay day from the chargers or someone else. As much as I and everyone else would like to have every "sweet" FA its just not feasible with a cap intact, you have to be smart where you place your money based on the depth and talent. I'm sorry but without a cap you won't see NE out there grabbing every "sweet" FA that roll will be filled by Oakland and Washington. They will be the closest things to the ****ees :mad:.

Last edited:
no, please.

Chargers player Phillips cited in Ivy Hotel punchout
Chargers player Phillips cited in Ivy Hotel punchout
By Debbi Baker Union-Tribune Staff Writer, Kevin Acee Union-Tribune Staff Writer
Originally published 4:18 p.m. April 27, 2009, updated 6:59 p.m., April 27, 2009

Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips was cited for misdemeanor battery early Saturday morning after a security guard at a rooftop bar in downtown San Diego said the linebacker hit him in the face, police said.
-----
It was the second time this month that Phillips, 27, was involved in a battery incident, police said.

Officers said that on April 11, a security guard at the Stingaree club on Sixth Avenue said Phillips choked and punched him. The guard reported the incident several hours later.

Phillips was named as a suspect but was not arrested or cited, Muñoz said.

James Brennan, owner of the Stingaree, said Monday that the April 11 incident was "blown way out of proportion" and involved Shaun Phillips'brother, not Phillips. He said the security guard has since "recanted" his statement to police that he was assaulted.

"After speaking with our security guard, he agreed that he was maybe a little out of line on what his memory was of how the incident took place, and he has since dropped the charges and moved on," Brennan said.

Phillips on Monday denied having anything to do with the incident at the Ivy.

"It was somebody else's mishap. It had nothing to do with me or my teammates," Phillips said.

He confirmed that he received a citation and said the officer was "just doing his job based on one person's account."

"There is video of the whole thing, and it won't show me anywhere in the vicinity," Phillips said.
It very well may be that English was drafted to replace Merriman, but he makes for good insurance given the way things are going with Phillips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes