PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Variations on the expected Patriots response to Aaron Hernandez's fate:

BB, as himself: "I'm only concerned about the players who are here."

BB, channeling **** Vermeil: "We will rally around Jake Ballard. And we will play, good football."

BB, channeling Wrecks Ryan: "Yes, the young man made a mistake. We all make mistakes. Show me someone who hasn't made a mistake in their life and I'll show you the Almighty. I've made mistakes but I'll tell you what: I don't care what anybody thinks. I'll put my record up against anyone's, especially defensively."

BB, channeling Vince Lombardi: "I said to Aaron: 'Next time you find something out there good enough to risk your life, family, reputation, career and $40 million contract over ... Take me along, OK?'"

BB, channeling Knute Rockne: "I rallied the team together, see? I said, 'You -- Brady and Mankins, Wilfork, and Mayo. Now-w the success of any team, men, is based on team-play -- the same as you showed last year: Sacrifice; unselfish sacrifice! These other teams are the fellows they say are pretty good; but I think we're better! And I think if we get ourselves keyed up to a point, and when we're confident of that ... why-y-y the results will take care of themselves!'"

He'll take the high road and state that it's a legal situation that is being handled by the authorities that he can't comment on.

He'll take the high road and state that it's a legal situation that is being handled by the authorities that he can't comment on.

Then he'll make that gross noise he makes when he pulls in his snot

He may be a tad bit more diplomatic and respectful for the victim and his family, but it will be a variation of his usual Belichick talk of "I am only focusing on the players in camp".

Somebody mentioned in one newspaper (Boston Herald) that AH had a morals clause in his contract and the Pats could use it to get out of it. Does anyone possess details on this? Is this correct and is it plausible? :confused:

He can't use the "I'm only concerned about the players who are here" line. It would sound like he is leaving Hernandez out to dry.
He'll send his condolences to the victims family and then say he can't talk about the case and the authorities are taking care of it.

It will probably be a very slight variation from the script of the reponses he gave to when Logan Mankins was demanding to be traded

"Right now, we're just focused on coaching the players that are here. We'll go out and get things done and hopefully have a good practice. The situation between anybody and the club, a contract situation, that's between anybody and the club."

"We've already addressed that."

"We're worried about the players who are here. That’s where our emphasis is, the guys that are here."

Somebody mentioned in one newspaper (Boston Herald) that AH had a morals clause in his contract and the Pats could use it to get out of it. Does anyone possess details on this? Is this correct and is it plausible? :confused:

If the contract had such a clause in it, then yes, the team could use that clause to not only get out of any remaining guaranteed salary and signing bonus payments that have not yet been made, but could conceivably recoup some of the previous signing bonus money that was paid.

Nobody other than the team, the NFL, the player and his agent have a copy of that contract or has seen that contract, so none of us knows what sort of verbiage there is in that regard.

Most likely there is something in there - how severe the wording is though, we can only speculate.

I'm sure he'll respond with disgust (for Hernandez, not the victim). I know that's how I'm responding. It's pretty sad when you are checking this board and news outlets periodically throughout the day to see whether a guy you thought was going to be a big contributor to your football team has had an arrest warrant issued for him on a murder, conspiracy or accessory charge.

Sad day on many levels for many people.

Hate saying this BB the GM will swing this

Redo the contract to get a deal to give him a 2nd chance in NFL.
Change to an Incentive based contract .

satz

Hate saying this BB the GM will swing this

Redo the contract to get a deal to give him a 2nd chance in NFL.
Change to an Incentive based contract .

satz

All depends on charge. If any. I would guess if Ahern is charged for obstruction its a bye bye.

All depends on charge. If any. I would guess if Ahern is charged for obstruction its a bye bye.

But he'll still be listed as "questionable" on the injury report all season.

I'm certain that over to FESPN, Tom Jackson is saying:

"They HATE their tight end!"

"They HATE their tight end!"

:rocker:

As for me, I'm standing by Hernandez and fully supporting him until I see what transpires. He's innocent until proven guilty, and anyone who insists on listening to and following the salacious & breathless reporting of the stalkerazzi ought to just get a damned life.

If he did something wrong, then he'll have his day in court. If he's found guilty, then he'll deserve whatever he gets, but for Jeebus' sakes, all the "chicken Little" commenting around these parts is worse than (but not by much) the moronic crapweasel stuff we see after a Patriots loss.

I'm more than willing to give Hernandez the benefit of the doubt for now, and anyone who claims to be an actual fan of this team ought to be doing the same thing. Heaven forbid any of the complainers/whiners ever find themselves in trouble with the law. Karma has a way of dealing with folks like that, and it's often a very rude epiphany.

V/R

first, BB will not answer any questions about it....he doesn't know anything and there is of value he can add....its out of his hands

2nd, once the legalities take their course, he will then have to wait for goodell's verdict. I would be that AH will not play as long as the issue is not resolved.......it will be treated no differently than when Vick got suspended indefinitely the moment he was indicted. whether AH winds up incarcerated or not, I doubt he will play football in 2013, so BB will just say 'I can't worry about who's not here'

there's little involvement to be had on BB's part

As for me, I'm standing by Hernandez and fully supporting him until I see what transpires. He's innocent until proven guilty, and anyone who insists on listening to and following the salacious & breathless reporting of the stalkerazzi ought to just get a damned life.

If he did something wrong, then he'll have his day in court. If he's found guilty, then he'll deserve whatever he gets, but for Jeebus' sakes, all the "chicken Little" commenting around these parts is worse than (but not by much) the moronic crapweasel stuff we see after a Patriots loss.

I'm more than willing to give Hernandez the benefit of the doubt for now, and anyone who claims to be an actual fan of this team ought to be doing the same thing. Heaven forbid any of the complainers/whiners ever find themselves in trouble with the law. Karma has a way of dealing with folks like that, and it's often a very rude epiphany.

V/R

I would so much rather this had not happened.......but sorry, I can't see it any differently than the things that have happened with other players on other teams simply because he's on this team.......if he's not going to be here, I'd rather get rid of him now

also, goodell does not operate by the notion of 'innocent until proven guilty'......you make the NFL look bad, you will pay dearly

V/R

Thanks for telling us all how we should feel and act

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes