PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How bad do opposing fans wanna see the Patriots lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Living in Northern Virginia, I went to a local bar to watch the game. There were about 200 people there, 20 Pats fans and no Jaguars fans.

Everytime the Jags did something "positive" the place went crazy like we were in the middle of Jacksonville. Every time the Pats did something, most of the place just remained quiet or somebody would yell obscentities out about Brady.

Absolutely terrible. I even commented to a guy if he was from Jacksonville - and his reply was no, he admitted he just hated the Pats because they were so good.

That's right. Being hated so much is the ultimate compliment. What fan wouldn't want their team hated with our record? Hatred is their only consolation.

I love it when I bring up their team (insert losers here) and fake interest in their team like, "Jeez, what are the Jets going to do for quarterback this week?" or "Wow, Joe...the Eagles came real close to beating the Pats, huh? Got a hell of a running back in Westbrook..."
They just look at me and my sh-t eatin grin and turn away. Been doin it for years now.

Living in Northern Virginia, I went to a local bar to watch the game. There were about 200 people there, 20 Pats fans and no Jaguars fans.

Everytime the Jags did something "positive" the place went crazy like we were in the middle of Jacksonville. Every time the Pats did something, most of the place just remained quiet or somebody would yell obscentities out about Brady.

Absolutely terrible. I even commented to a guy if he was from Jacksonville - and his reply was no, he admitted he just hated the Pats because they were so good.

wistpatsfan & Riva, I think you both describe the perverse joy Patriots fans have experienced this year. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I can't tell you all how many people have said to me, "what are you all proud of, it's not like you PLAY for the Patriots!" They just don't get it. These same people will scream "Effn' YAH!!!" when an opposing team scores on the Pats just as if it were they who were scoring on us.:rolleyes:

Only a Patriots fan can identify with this wierd & strange joy that has only increased with the hatred that is directed toward us.

It's called overexposure.

No one has been able to watch a football game since week 1 without half the commentary being about the Pats. Camera-gate, running up scores, Tom Terrific, records, Moss, unbeaten, etc. I watched a MNF game earlier this year and they talked about the Pats more than either team actually playing the game.

If I wasn't a lifelong Pats fan I'd hate them too. Remember all the Manning ballwashing in 2005?

I take little satisfaction in other people rooting against the Patriots and going away disappointed.

I take great satisfaction in the Patriots playing at a high level and continuing to redefine NFL greatness.

I was at Harrahs down here in New Orleans watching the Pats Colts game and it was after a Saints game so there was a good 300-400 people in the main bar there and every time the Colts did somethign positive the place ERUPTED. Man did it feel good walking around in my Pats jersey after that game.

I was at Harrahs down here in New Orleans watching the Pats Colts game and it was after a Saints game so there was a good 300-400 people in the main bar there and every time the Colts did somethign positive the place ERUPTED. Man did it feel good walking around in my Pats jersey after that game.

Man, I love stories like that!:D

I even commented to a guy if he was from Jacksonville - and his reply was no, he admitted he just hated the Pats because they were so good.

I have absolutely no problem with this. It's only natural to root for the underdog, and if the Patriots weren't the team I know and love I'd doubtless root against them myself.

But they are my team. And ahhhhh, it feels good. :D

I take little satisfaction in other people rooting against the Patriots and going away disappointed.

I take great satisfaction in the Patriots playing at a high level and continuing to redefine NFL greatness.

I don't understand why you don't enjoy the fact that those screaming for the Pats to lose and spouting off about spygate are constantly frustrated. I'd love to hear why you don't enjoy that whild most of us find great joy in it. I've always felt that's a big part of rivalry between fan bases.

I don't understand why you don't enjoy the fact that those screaming for the Pats to lose and spouting off about spygate are constantly frustrated. I'd love to hear why you don't enjoy that whild most of us find great joy in it. I've always felt that's a big part of rivalry between fan bases.

You're confused by the notion of enjoying your own happiness more than another's pain?

Well, not that anyone here cares for it, but here's my 2 cents. I don't hate the Pats players; if given a choice, I would want just about every one of them on my team. Harrison is the only one who is easily unlikable.

I don't even hate BB; I read that ESPN article "under the hoodie", or whatever it was, & it really shed some light on who he is. He hates the media, which is why he generally comes across poorly in the public eye, but I have huge respect for him.

The fans -well, they've become somewhat intolerable. It used to be easy to root for Boston sports, because many fans of both the Sox & Patriots were as long-suffering as anyone. Now, there is a sense of entitlement among the younger fans in particular that is reminiscent of Yankee fans & Cowboy fans, and it's a challenge for opposing fans to want to see that continue.

In general, I want the Pats to lose because - when my team isn't in it - I root for the underdog (just as I was happy when the Pats beat the Rams all those years ago). Plus, the whole Pats/Colts reign over the AFC is just getting boring, and it would be nice to see a more competitive league emerge over the next few years.

This is probably where most Pats fans would be if another team was doing what the Patriots (and the rest of Boston sports) is doing, so I think that's reasonable.

For my part, there is a certain satisfaction in winning when everyone hates you. I have to say, though, there was also satisfaction in winning back in 2001, when I'm guessing the public largely loved us. In some ways that was better, in some ways this is. (How's that for a definitive answer.)

The difference between this year and all previous years is that we truly are getting all the media attention from start to finish, for better or worse. We are getting the good bad and ugly out of the media this year.

In 2001, we were ignored.

In 2002, Brady was a one hit wonder and most of what we faced was hatred in the media over the tuck rule.

In 2003, we were never really at the top of the power rankings, and going into the playoffs there where several teams of destiny. Green Bay was a team of destiny because Favre's dad died. Eagles, because they had been there before. And Panthers, because they were the new 2001 Patriots, only on steriods.

In 2004, we got the attention we deserved until the win streak ended in Pittsburgh. After that, all the media was on the Rothlisdizzle and Manning bandwagon until the moment we 'unexpectedly' kicked the Steelers out of the playoffs. That was the year Polian and Dungheap instituted the Ty Law rules, and defenses didn't know what to do all year to cover a WR. Under any other conditions, Manning would not have set the TD record. All the QBs seemed to have monster years that year.

2005, we were once again firmly in the shadow of the Colts, who had done nothing to this point save mess around with the rule book and choke their way out of the playoffs several times.

2006, again playing second fiddle to teams like the Chargers, who got nowhere in the playoffs, and the Colts who would not have beat us without the help of the officials.

But somehow the bad media attention from spygate, and the 'Moss is a cancer' attention got our season started this year. And then it was the undefeated thing. So this is the one season where the entire media has been talking non-stop about the Pats. A lot of the coverage has been bad, erroneous and just plain hateful towards the Pats. A lot of the coverage has also kissed our collective ass. The bottom line is that nobody has talked about the defending chumps this year, and everybody has talked about us.

In summary, we went straight from being on the outskirts of media attention from 2001-2006, to be all Pats all the time for 2007. If I was a fan of any other team, I would just hate the pats right now and want this whole story to go away. I would want the Pats to lose immediately so they can't be talked about for another two weeks.

You're confused by the notion of enjoying your own happiness more than another's pain?

No patchick, I know exactly what I and other Patriots fans are enjoying. Of course we enjoy the happiness we get from seeing other fans suffer. That's called competition. The pain they suffer is self-inflicted, so it's their own fault. We don't inflict pain upon anyone.

When I beat someone in a competition, I do enjoy the fact that the person I beat is upset I won. That is why teams like to blow other teams out. They want them to feel & know they are far superior. All athletes feel that way. Any athlete would rather blow the other team out than barely win. Why is that? It because of the joy they get knowing they blew them out. That joy mainly eminates from the pain they inflicted upon them.

Are you saying you are NOT enjoying the pain suffered by those fans who are wishing & hoping with all their might that the Patriots lose? I'd say that to most Patriots fans, that is the ultimate joy we can have. I can be honest and say that if the Patriots were to win the super bowl, I would be very happy they won. I would also be very happy there are so many Patriot haters out there fuming and powerless. Hell yeah, I'd enjoy that!

It's ok to relish in another's pain in the world of sports.

Last edited:
It doesn't really upset me, because I know it's just jealousy. Opposing fans spout righteousness about spygate or running up the score, but those are just excuses. Jealousy's a natural (if ugly) human reaction to the success of someone else, particularly when it comes at the expense of your own team. If the Jets had won 3 superbowls this decade, and were 17-0, most of us would probably exaggerate every little fault as well.

People hate New England sports in general right now because they're on such a run of success. It can get annoying sometimes, and I catch grief for it from friends and coworkers, but I'm 100% sure any one of them would trade places with me as a fan in a minute.

Hey what's the story behind your name? just curious...

Lifelong Bostonian living in Philly experiencing the same things said here: hatred / eff them ..etc..
Iggles fans kind of remind me of me & my old Boston friends pre-2004 when it was considered a given that the Sox / Pats / Broons would choke or get blown out if they got to the 'big game' = we were just miserable / eff bombing a-holes!
Now I'm a loavable guy - I don't rub it in and just am happy even during the game since it is like the 1st time I don't worry! U almost know that the PATS are going to pull it off even when it is close...an unreal feeling! Even when I'm surrounded by miserable other fans!
Bottom line - the other fans are just jealous which is where we would be if the script was reversed.

When I beat someone in a competition, I do enjoy the fact that the person I beat is upset I won. That is why teams like to blow other teams out. They want them to feel & know they are far superior. All athletes feel that way. Any athlete would rather blow the other team out than barely win. Why is that? It because of the joy they get knowing they blew them out. That joy mainly eminates from the pain they inflicted upon them.

Are you saying you are NOT enjoying the pain suffered by those fans who are wishing & hoping with all their might that the Patriots lose? I'd say that to most Patriots fans, that is the ultimate joy we can have. I can be honest and say that if the Patriots were to win the super bowl, I would be very happy they won. I would also be very happy there are so many Patriot haters out there fuming and powerless. Hell yeah, I'd enjoy that!

It's ok to relish in another's pain in the world of sports.

Fair enough, you've stated clearly that your #1 source of pleasure taken from victory -- "mainly," "ultimate" -- is the pain and suffering of the losers and their fans. Then yes, I can say my experience as a sports fan is completely different. If a Patriots 19-0 season were greeted with a giant yawn by opposing fans, it wouldn't diminish my enjoyment one bit. What's more, I never taunt fans of the losing team after the game. To each his own.

Fair enough, you've stated clearly that your #1 source of pleasure taken from victory -- "mainly," "ultimate" -- is the pain and suffering of the losers and their fans. Then yes, I can say my experience as a sports fan is completely different. If a Patriots 19-0 season were greeted with a giant yawn by opposing fans, it wouldn't diminish my enjoyment one bit. What's more, I never taunt fans of the losing team after the game. To each his own.

I'm with you on this one, Patchick..........

The reason is simple, the more teams you beat, the more hearts you break, the more enemies you make. With the win over Washington earlier this year, Tom brady beat every team in the NFL, and obviously some teams several times. That right there is 31 enemies.

Personally, I've somewhat learn to embrace the hate.

I agree with not taunting other fans. The happiness is enjoyed silently just as when you beat an opponent yourself. Have you never played sports patchick? I've not met an athlete who does not enjoy beating there opponent and have never met one who ever told me they felt bad about it. That is the basis of what I'm talking about.

Let's remember, this is not "Real" Pain or Suffering which we're discussing here. And it is also a choice whether fans suffer or not.;)

The reason is simple, the more teams you beat, the more hearts you break, the more enemies you make. With the win over Washington earlier this year, Tom brady beat every team in the NFL, and obviously some teams several times. That right there is 31 enemies.

Personally, I've somewhat learn to embrace the hate.

There you Go Dan!! That's what I'm talking about...embracing (enjoying) the hate! That is what athletics are all about! I'd challenge anyone to watch their child after you "let" them beat you at something. Money says they enjoy beating you more than they enjoy they simple fact they won!

go ahead, I dare you!;)

I live in CA. Watched the Pats/Jaguars game at a local bar with a handful of Pats fans and a ton of casual NFL fans (read: not Jaguars fans). Whenever the Pats scored, the Pats fans cheered. Whenver the Jaguars scored, the rest of the bar cheered. It's been like that pretty much the entire year.

After seeing my Pats sweatshirt, one of the other Pats fans says "Go Pats!" and his anti-Pats friend mutters, "I guess the bandwagon is huge." Comments like that are so ironic because the biggest bandwagon fans I've seen this year are the Anti-Pats fans. Last week the guy was the biggest Jacksonville fan. This week he'll be the biggest Chargers fan.

Edit: I'm going to Vegas the weekend after the Super Bowl. One of my friends meeting me there is a huge Pats hater. He's just dying to give me crap all weekend if the Pats lose. This is not how I want to spend that weekend.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey