PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Bad Are Our Wide Receivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We will carry 4 or 5 WR's. Sure, Belichick will take a flyer for a player or two that will likely end up on the Practice Squad with Harper.

I think that Belichick may think it unlikely that a draftee WR beats out Washington AND Martin AND Dobson for the 4th WR spot. Maybe he's all set with Edelman, Amendola and Hogan.

aside from jules, nothing to write home about.

two great TE's though and dion out of the backfield!!

I think our WRs are fine and I am glad we didn't waste a pick on one considering how awful we are at drafting them. Our TEs more than make up for any deficiencies we might have in the WR corp.

That being said good lord I'd have taken one over a freakin QB.

Gronk 1176 yds, 11 TD
Edelman 1,230 yds, 12.4 TDs *on pace for
Lewis 887 yds, 4.5 TDs * on pace for
Amendola 648 yds, 3 TD
White 410 yds, 4 TD
Martin 262 Yds, 2 TDs

Now replace:
Chandler 259 Yds, 3 TDs
With:
Martellus Bennett 916 yds, 6 TDs (last full season in '14)
and
Lafell 515 yds, 0 TDs
with one of:
Hogan 450 yds, 2 TDs
Washington 658 yds, 4 TDS

Where do you put another receiver? Edelman, Gronk, Bennett, and Lewis will be the first 4 options, regardless of who we could realistically add to the team at WR. Then there's more than enough depth to go around.

It would be great to have another Randy Moss, but we could ONLY make room for a #1 receiver, none of which would be remotely viable to have signed or traded for.

If 2 out of 3 of Jules/Dola/Hogan play in every game I don't see any major issues. If they all made it thru the year healthy then look out I'd expect their production will be elite even if their talent is not seen as so. Big picture, lack of WR talent will not be what costs them games. Depth, maybe, but they've got guys that can play ball at WR.

Injuries, like last season and many before, are the only issue here. Obviously still need to see Hogan on the field for real but as a group they play perfectly to TB's strengths in tandem with the TEs.

If 2 out of 3 of Jules/Dola/Hogan play in every game I don't see any major issues. If they all made it thru the year healthy then look out I'd expect their production will be elite even if their talent is not seen as so. Big picture, lack of WR talent will not be what costs them games. Depth, maybe, but they've got guys that can play ball at WR.

Injuries, like last season and many before, are the only issue here. Obviously still need to see Hogan on the field for real but as a group they play perfectly to TB's strengths in tandem with the TEs.
We will also have at least one of Washington, Martin and Dobson as backups.

Gronk 1176 yds, 11 TD
Amendola 648 yds, 3 TD
White 410 yds, 4 TD
Martin 262 Yds, 2 TDs

Now replace:
Chandler 259 Yds, 3 TDs
With:
and
Lafell 515 yds, 0 TDs
with one of:
Hogan 450 yds, 2 TDs

Where do you put another receiver? Edelman, Gronk, Bennett, and Lewis will be the first 4 options, regardless of who we could realistically add to the team at WR. Then there's more than enough depth to go around.

It would be great to have another Randy Moss, but we could ONLY make room for a #1 receiver, none of which would be remotely viable to have signed or traded for.

The drafted receiver would be a future replacement for Amendola, who's likely gone after this season (if not mid-season at the deadline to a desperate team willing to shell out a pick(s)).

Regardless, I think it's a 100% guarantee the Pats draft Keenan Reynolds tomorrow.

Depends on what Chris Hogan can become here.

We have the luxury of being able to take some shots on WRs, and I think we'll see at least one added tomorrow. CB is another position where I would continue to spend resources on in the draft, and I'm glad to see that they continue to address it (as well as QB).

Now...whether or not you feel that the position of WR is in need of youth/talent will likely depend on if you lump together other positions (TE and RB) for Brady's targets. Personally, yes--I feel as though wide receiver is a position that you keep trying to hit on, particularly when you still have 8 picks left.

Gronk 1176 yds, 11 TD
Amendola 648 yds, 3 TD
White 410 yds, 4 TD
Martin 262 Yds, 2 TDs

Now replace:
Chandler 259 Yds, 3 TDs
With:
and
Lafell 515 yds, 0 TDs
with one of:
Hogan 450 yds, 2 TDs

You have a very solid point when looking at it from a "needs" perspective, but they should certainly continue to throw darts at the board in terms of attempting to develop an up and coming prospect.

Due to the complex nature of the system, just about any WR taken in the draft is going to be developmental anyway. In other words, we're not taking WRs tomorrow with the hope of them making a big splash this year, but it's still a very important position to address for next year and the future, and hell yes, they should continue to try and find someone.

I think our WRs are fine and I am glad we didn't waste a pick on one considering how awful we are at drafting them. Our TEs more than make up for any deficiencies we might have in the WR corp.

That being said good lord I'd have taken one over a freakin QB.
I was about to click "agree" and then you had to throw in that last line and make me change it to "disagree".

Brady's getting older and is likely out for the first four games. Who do you want as JimmyG's backup, that WR you'd've drafted? Should we sign Hoyer again? Or go with an unknown UDFA? Getting a good backup QB is a high value proposition. Much better than an unneeded WR who will not make the team anyway!

Last edited:

Ok? I still stand by what I said. And a 4th is much easier to swallow than a 2nd.

I mean Amendola has to be feeling a little nervous

A CB that is a good punt returner and now a 6' WR that can run all the routes and has good hands

We will carry 4 or 5 WR's. Sure, Belichick will take a flyer for a player or two that will likely end up on the Practice Squad with Harper.

I think that Belichick may think it unlikely that a draftee WR beats out Washington AND Martin AND Dobson for the 4th WR spot. Maybe he's all set with Edelman, Amendola and Hogan.
Looks like Bill has taken more than just a flyer on Mitchell.
Nice WR, but one who due to injury concerns would've been available a round or possibly 2 later.

I would've taken one of the RBs there.

Mitchell was projected as a 3rd or 4th round pick, so I was actually surprised he was still around in the 4th. Thought we might target him or a similar WR in the 3rd.

Looks like Bill has taken more than just a flyer on Mitchell.
Nice WR, but one who due to injury concerns would've been available a round or possibly 2 later.

There were 5 WR taken after Mitchell before #147. There have been 3 WR taken since 147 (currently at pick 172)

So no troll, it is doubtful he would have been there at #147 and it is certain he wouldn't have been there in the 6th round when the Pats pick.

Was a consensus 3rd-4th round projection

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back