PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Bad Are Our Running Backs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a theory why he didn't draft an RB this draft. Yes, there were plenty of opportunities to draft one this draft. We traded up into the 5th round and traded out. We now have a 2017 4th rounder which means we will most likely keep our 4th rounder and lose the one we got from the seahawks. What if BB used that seahawks 2017 4th rounder to trade for a RB? Chiefs are shopping Kniles Davis. Do you think a 4th rounder is too high to give up for Davis?

Let's put it this way... When DionLewis & Blount went down, our "remaining" RBs were junk.

Without a running-game, the AFC championship game results will happen, again...
Nobody would have done well behind that line, I bet even Peterson would have gone nowhere. A better back is needed, but that was not the problem in the AFCCG. Jackson could have done work had they actually blocked for him.

I think they are okay and not a great chance to improve it this year. This was a weak group of RBs. Next year we go for broke on a RB i think.

Still not that concerned with the RB position..teams will cut players in camp..aka pats will still have a crop to look at

they wont be a top 5 run team with the backs they have thats for sure but i dont care who the RB is teams are not going to lets the pats run without Brady in there unless they have a big lead. once Brady is back they should be ok if no injuries knock on wood

I think they are okay and not a great chance to improve it this year. This was a weak group of RBs. Next year we go for broke on a RB i think.

I think Devontae Booker was fantastic value for where he went, hate that it was the Broncos that got him. The RB class may not have been a standout, but I think a few of them were great picks for where they went.

I heard that they all are bad dudes and in fact the whole group is planning on going bowling and not paying.
;)

Meanwhile we do need a good back if in fact Garrapolo needs to start (4) games. No?

What if BB used that seahawks 2017 4th rounder to trade for a RB? Chiefs are shopping Kniles Davis. Do you think a 4th rounder is too high to give up for Davis?
It is if it doesn't come with a new contract. He's in his last year of the contract right now.

FA Running Backs

Arian Foster RB 29 HOU
Joique Bell RB 29 DET
Toby Gerhart RB 29 JAC
Reggie Bush RB 31 SF
Anthony Dixon RB 28 BUF
Chris Polk RB 26 HOU
Bernard Pierce RB 25 JAC
Fred Jackson RB 35 SEA
Ahmad Bradshaw RB 30
Cierre Wood RB 25 BUF
Dan Herron RB 27 IND
Pierre Thomas RB 31 WAS
Bryce Brown RB 24 SEA
Kendall Hunter RB 27 NO
Steven Jackson RB 32 NE
Marion Grice RB 25 ARI
Robert Hughes RB 26 ARI

Michael Hill RB 26 DAL

Add to this the 10 that probably get cut when rosters are cut down

Still not that concerned with the RB position..teams will cut players in camp..aka pats will still have a crop to look at
Yep. Gotta pull out the BJs Wholesale membership card to go bulk shopping for RBs in July.

Lewis is an electric player who can make something out of nothing, but durability is an issue.
White is an exceptional receiver but not a great rusher.
Gaffney is a wild card--tough to know what he can give at this point. Can't wait to see him play.
Blount has great games and not so great games but can be explosive.
Donald Brown is an okay player; I don't see us getting much from him unless he goes through some kind of career rebirth here. Not counting on it.
Bolden can give you a few snaps a game but is more of a STer.

This is not a great group of running backs but can be okay if the OLine can get itself together. I'm hopeful that Scar can make a difference. I have to think that if BB thought that any of the RBs in the draft were a marked upgrade, then he would have taken one. Arian Foster remains a possibility and as stated previously, there'll be more veterans entering the FA pool once teams start adjusting their rosters. While I'm not ecstatic about this group and wish they had a top-flight back, I think they'll be a serviceable bunch.

DJ Foster has the athleticism and skills to compete for the Vereen role, we'll see how he looks on the field.

Ridley also said Brady was guilty so he can go screw
Ridley signed in Detroit. This was the second year we could have signed him cheap and didn't.

I think we have JUST enough here. Knile Davis is probably available cheap but he's had ball security issues since college.

The OL was the defining factor last year

I agree with your analysis.

The thread title is a consequence of all the calls for a 2nd or 3rd round RB and a second later, and the idea that 2 rookies would likely make the 53.

As it turns, out, the Patriots didn't select a single running back. No need to do that.

The offensive gets at least three new guys in FA Cooper and draft picks Thuney and Karras. Three tough guys with size to upgrade the line with youth is good to see. Scarnecchia has a lot to work with

I like what they added on offense overall with Bennett, Hogan, Brown, and drafting two intelligent X receivers from big five conferences. The 7th rounder, Lucien out of ASU, looks like a player to me. I like his maturity and how he moved around the formation at ASU.

Garoppolo is going to have a lot to work with in his NFL debut.

I think Devontae Booker was fantastic value for where he went, hate that it was the Broncos that got him. The RB class may not have been a standout, but I think a few of them were great picks for where they went.

Nobody looked like an upgrade to Gaffney (if he stays healthy) apart from Elliot (impossibility) and Henry (out of our reach as well).

When is the last time a team's running game went wild and you could point to it and say "that's the difference" in the playoffs? Semi-rhetorical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes