PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How angry would you have been if the NON-Holding SB call happened to the Pats ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How mad would I be??

Where's a gif. of a TV getting tossed out a window when you need one??

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if the Pats had been on the defense in that situation, the turf in the Superdome would have been littered with yellow flags, and it wouldn't have been for OPI.

OT-How angry would you have been if the NON-Holding Call happened to the Pats ?

Whatever call makes my preferred team victorious is a great call, and whatever call makes my preferred team a loser is a horrible call.

Probably wouldn't have slept since sunday. I can tell you on the other hand, if the pats are defending that pass I can GUARANTEE you that's pass interference. Haven't gotten away with a PI call since 2003. To make a long story short, **** you Polian.

I want a rule change. There needs to be an option to challenge a penalty call or a non penalty call with one of the coaches challenge flags. Until this happens, bad calls will just remain a part of the game.
There is absolutely no system whatsoever imaginable in all the realm that would rectify the fact that bad calls are a part of the game.

bad calls are part of the game...OK...agreed

NO CALLS????...41 distinct illegal contact/PI violations with ZERO CALLS? that's part of the game? what game is this? the WWE League?

The better question is what would the rest of the NFL fandom have done if the Patriots would have won the Super Bowl on a non call like that...:scream:

The Patriots lost the 2007 superbowl and the perfect season based on lack of penalty flags.

Been there, done it and over it.

Pretty angry. I understand why the call wasn't made. It would've decided the Super Bowl.

On the other hand, I go back to 2006. In hindsight, that game now sticks with me even more than the 2007 Super Bowl. The Patriots were ripped off that game, from Ellis Hobbs not laying a finger on the receiver (and getting called for PI) to Reche Caldwell being absolutely mugged in the end and no PI, to Troy Brown being called for OPI (when Torrey Smith wasn't), I can say that I'd be pissed if I were a 9ers fan.

The Patriots were just jobbed in 2006. Disgusting.

People forget about that play with Caldwell. That was the most blantant PI of all time Hayden turned, faced Caldwell didnt play the ball and just proceeded to push him and push him until he was outta bounds.

People forget about that play with Caldwell. That was the most blantant PI of all time Hayden turned, faced Caldwell didnt play the ball and just proceeded to push him and push him until he was outta bounds.

I hear at referee orientation they show that play to describe what defensive pass interference is.

There is absolutely no system whatsoever imaginable in all the realm that would rectify the fact that bad calls are a part of the game.

Bad calls are a part of the game. They are made almost every game. If they weren't part of the game then there would be reviews of any bad call. I just want a rule change that makes non calls and wrongful flags challenged.

If coaches were able to challenge a flag on OPI/DPI or holding calls, then I'd be happy.

the 4th down play for the 49ers was a terrible NON call by the refs. It was textbook holding by the DB on that last play. I don't know how you can let that go uncalled.

Yes, it was textbook holding and the refs hadn't been calling it all day. In fact, the refs routinely let many holding calls like that go and call a few of them.

I believe the refs should call holding when it's holding. That being said, to think that this non-call was any different than 100 other non-calls during the game (other than the critical moment) is an over-reaction.

Again, these non-calls that should be calls happen most plays. I understand perfectly why the flag wasn't thrown - it typically isn't thrown for this amount of contact (although sometimes it is). Should it be? Always (although I know a lot of people would hate all those penalties). Is it? Occasionally (and that may be overstating it).

I scream about holding not being called all the time. I used to scream about traveling not being called in the NBA; now I just don't bother watching.

I can understand you being upset about it. Just don't go away thinking that this is the exception to the rule. Far from it; this IS the rule.

bad calls are part of the game...OK...agreed

NO CALLS????...41 distinct illegal contact/PI violations with ZERO CALLS? that's part of the game? what game is this? the WWE League?

It's called the NFL.

As someone once said, "it is what it is".

:(

That gets to the consistency issue people have raised in other officiating threads. If they were going to flag Hobbs for a play where there wasn't a lot of contact, then they better flag the Colts DB for a play that fulfilled all the components of PI. They can't just decide to "Let 'em play" halfway through the game.

Jim Harbaugh Still Wants Penalties Called, Even If It's Late In The Super Bowl

Agreeing with Bill Polian makes this a little less satisfying, but kind of have to agree:

On the notion that officials should "let players play" in big moments of big games:
"I would say it exactly like Bill Polian: A penalty is a penalty no matter when it occurs in a game. It could occur in the first play of the game. It could occur on the last play of the game, or any play in between. That's the rules of football. You let ‘em play or let ‘em get away with something. Which would you rather have? Let's play the rules of the game. … If there's a penalty then it's a penalty - doesn't matter what kind of game. … It's the rules of football. If it's a penalty, you call it. If you see it, you call it. That's how I feel about it."

Yes, it was textbook holding and the refs hadn't been calling it all day. In fact, the refs routinely let many holding calls like that go and call a few of them.

I believe the refs should call holding when it's holding. That being said, to think that this non-call was any different than 100 other non-calls during the game (other than the critical moment) is an over-reaction.

Again, these non-calls that should be calls happen most plays. I understand perfectly why the flag wasn't thrown - it typically isn't thrown for this amount of contact (although sometimes it is). Should it be? Always (although I know a lot of people would hate all those penalties). Is it? Occasionally (and that may be overstating it).

I scream about holding not being called all the time. I used to scream about traveling not being called in the NBA; now I just don't bother watching.

I can understand you being upset about it. Just don't go away thinking that this is the exception to the rule. Far from it; this IS the rule.

Except the only holding call in the Pats-Raven AFCCG was a marginal call late n the game when the Pats, down a score, would have converted 3rd and two deep in Raven territory. Pats wind up not scoring and Ravens win the SB.

And yes, had it been a Pats db, their would have been hundreds of flags littering the end zone, especially if it was a Raven receiver.

There was an even MORE OBVIOUS holding penalty that wasn't called for us.

2007 in the SuperBowl on the Tyree catch in the 4th quarter. At LEAST 2 Patriots were clearly held on that play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots