PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see standards kept high. :rolleyes:
How about you quit rolling your eyes every time ? It's not unreasonable to devalue getting another defensive playcaller when we already have one.

How about you quit rolling your eyes every time ? It's not unreasonable to devalue getting another defensive playcaller when we already have one.
:rolleyes: How about you get a thicker skin? Speaking of thick, it is indeed unreasonable to devalue the intelligence of the ILBs, like the Safeties they are both involved in moving people around, communicating assignment changes and offensive shifts. If BB expects his NT to know what the defensive backs will be doing behind him it seems only too reasonable to expect the ILBs to understand what is going on.

Not getting in the middle of anything but does anyone remember Mayo's score on the W test?

Interesting mention of Mays in 2010 but one of the big DT's might be more inviting depending on who we take in this draft and how the Wilfork situation plays out. Maybe BB trades a pick which moves up with value in order to get a top DT or Safety.

Last edited:
Not getting in the middle of anything but does anyone remember Mayo's score on the W test?

Interesting mention of Mays in 2010 but one of the big DT's might be more inviting depending on who we take in this draft and how the Wilfork situation plays out. Maybe BB trades a pick which moves up with value in order to get a top DT or Safety.
Technically the scores aren't supposed to be made available for publication, most likely someone leaked the information to Pompei. I don't know that anyone ever published Mayo's Wonderlic.

Technically the scores aren't supposed to be made available for publication, most likely someone leaked the information to Pompei. I don't know that anyone ever published Mayo's Wonderlic.

Then I would say that only the exceptional ones and the bad ones would get released. That would make Mayo in the acceptable catagory:)

I really think that if BB is going to draft a guy that he will get to know him pretty well and how football smart the kid is. Doing his research with their college coaches might tell more then a Wonderlic test.

:rolleyes: How about you get a thicker skin?
That is not a problem, I don't give a crap what you think of me but it is rude and I am giving you advice for being nicer to people.

Speaking of thick, it is indeed unreasonable to devalue the intelligence of the ILBs, like the Safeties they are both involved in moving people around, communicating assignment changes and offensive shifts. If BB expects his NT to know what the defensive backs will be doing behind him it seems only too reasonable to expect the ILBs to understand what is going on.
I like smart players and all things being equal I would take a smarter ILB over a less smart ILB. That said, with Mayo already there it's not as important as it otherwise could be.

That is not a problem, I don't give a crap what you think of me but it is rude and I am giving you advice for being nicer to people
You've been in a pissy mood for months, to the point where I've actively been avoiding engaging in any discussion with you because it seems as if everything posted to you is taken in the most negative manner possible. Your point tonight endorsing an ILB who might not be too effective at calling the plays was just extreme enough to draw me out - silly me.

You've been in a pissy mood for months, to the point where I've actively been avoiding engaging in any discussion with you because it seems as if everything posted to you is taken in the most negative manner possible. Your point tonight endorsing an ILB who might not be too effective at calling the plays was just extreme enough to draw me out - silly me.
I'm not going to ruin the thread arguing with you. The only time I have been "pissy" is on the Political Board where you don't post and when people went on and on and on about ridiculous Cassel issues - and people like Deus Irae who have something up their butt about the Cassel trade.

Anyway, move along, this isn't about me but quit your damn eye rolling. It's rude to do it all the time.

I had to touch up the wording of the average as it turned out it wasn't last year's average but a Dr. Z average from historical numbers. Regardless, 26 was good.

The DT scenario is more realistic but we can all have our own little fantasy world until the time comes right? Sort of like 3/4 of the posted mocks on here seem to have either Maualuga or this Barwin feller, if not both :p

I still think the O-line is enough of a need that we don't burn 2/3 of our first three on LBer's. I'd guess out of our first three we get 1 or 2? O-Line, 1 I/OLB, 1? WR/TE/DB, 1 trade?. Or maybe this guy thats a #2 TE/#1 OLB (...that Barwin feller)? Then two other big slobs to mow people down in the trenches for Tf'nB! Then trade one 2nd out to next year and we're sittin' perty! The more you think of it, the more I envy BB! In BB we trust! Or maybe Andre Smith drops into the 2nd? How don't you pull the trigger on potential top 10 in the early to middle 2nd? Can't they throw behavior clauses, showing up in shape, etc into a contract/enforce through fines? If he can't be kept in line here, who is going to straighten the fool out? In any case, I'm excited for draft day and have given up on trying to figure out what Bill has up his sleeve. Maybe we trade up for someone Bill has his eye set on, we do have 4 picks to play with in the first 64...It's like the league got cut in half (1 pick per 16, not 32!)! And just think we lost a first rounder recently:mad:

Well i would like to see some OL some where in there. Barwin Sintim Duke Robinson Chung. Or pick up Vaughn at 89 and take Gilbert instead of Chung.
I'm 100% good with adding an OT and/or OG but ILB and Safety have more of an issue to me (no depth at all at S) and I think we'll look to draft Seymour's repalcement a year ahead - we can always Franchise Wilfork. I would not be disappointed with a good OL though.

Belichick fan. I see some of the same needs as you regarding ILB,safety etc. Do you see ILB as more of a need than OLB based on having Adalius Thomas on the outside already? Or do you see the need of getting both in this draft? Inside and Outside backers?

Belichick fan. I see some of the same needs as you regarding ILB,safety etc. Do you see ILB as more of a need than OLB based on having Adalius Thomas on the outside already? Or do you see the need of getting both in this draft? Inside and Outside backers?
I'm sure we all like Mayo as one ILB and Thomas as one OLB (although I think I've seen references to moving Thomas back inside which I disagree with).

That leaves Woods/Crable/Redd/TBC to replace Vrable vs. Bruschi/Guyton inside.

Personally I think ILB is more of an issue as Woods wasn't a big weakness as a starter when he replaced Thomas and I consider ILB to be more "important" as it's the middle of the field vs. the edge. Bruschi is alright and Guyton showed some upside but I'd rather try to get by with Woods and/or Crable outside and get a real solution inside. Of course with so many picks we can do both if we like and I would favor an ILB like Maualuga or Sintim as ILB isn't as deep; if we lose Barwin there's always Engish or one of the many other OLB; it's a very deep draft for those types this year.

#15 ILB Maualuga (=#23 + #57)
#34 OLB Conner Barwin
#47 SS Patrick Chung
#89 ILB Jasper Brinkley
#99 OC Antoine Caldwell

Honestly, I think this draft would make me puke.

Well OK, if it really happened, I wouldn't puke, but it'd be even more of a head scratcher than the 2007 draft class - when they kept drafting lineman after lineman.

Moving up to draft a 2-down ILB? No thanks. Barwin at 34 is OK, though too much of a gamble for me this early. Chung is too much like Sanders. I'd rather get a safety with better coverage and ball skills. And I'm not sure why you'd double up on ILB considering you just spent 2 1st round picks on that position and you have another one who might be a keeper in Guyton.

Moving up to draft a 2-down ILB?
If he is only a 2 down LB we would all agree. It's far from unanimous, though, with many viable opinions being that he can play on 3rd down as his good instincts make him faster as a player than his times speeds suggest.

Honestly, I think this draft would make me puke.

Well OK, if it really happened, I wouldn't puke, but it'd be even more of a head scratcher than the 2007 draft class - when they kept drafting lineman after lineman.

I imagine they would have at least tried to move those picks (to no avail, I guess), but didn't find any real takers. Since there was basically little chance of any day two player making the team (why couldn't they have just IRed Justin Rogers? :mad:), why not take a bunch of linemen?

Moving up to draft a 2-down ILB? No thanks. Barwin at 34 is OK, though too much of a gamble for me this early. Chung is too much like Sanders. I'd rather get a safety with better coverage and ball skills. And I'm not sure why you'd double up on ILB considering you just spent 2 1st round picks on that position and you have another one who might be a keeper in Guyton.

I don't think there's anyone who thinks Barwin is a 100% guarantee, but I think there are a lot of folks in the "Barwin binky" camp who think that his floor is not much lower than his current talent level, while his ceiling is much, much higher. . . .

With that thought, my next idea was trading back into that zone. What do you think of trading back #23 to Cincinnati for #38 and #70. With #99 as a presumptive compensatory for Asante, that would mean seven picks in the first 100.

#34 - OLB Clint Sintim
#38 - OLB Conner Barwin
#47 - SS Patrick Chung
#57 - DT Ron Brace
#70 - CB Mike Mickens
#89 - ILB Jasper Brinkley
#99 - OC Antwoine Caldwell

With Sintim and Barwin in rotation with Thomas, Woods and TBC, we finally have the same depth at the position that we had in the days of McGinest, Vrabel, Colvin and Phifer.

The more I think about it, the more I think we will look to trade down. I actually think a LOT of other teams will as well. If we could pull it off then I would love to see the following

#34 - OL Alex Mack
#38 - OLB Conner Barwin / Larry English
#47 - SS Patrick Chung
#57 - OL Loadholt / Robinson
#70 - CB Mike Mickens

Id love that ...

The more I think about it, the more I think we will look to trade down. I actually think a LOT of other teams will as well. If we could pull it off then I would love to see the following

#34 - OL Alex Mack
#38 - OLB Conner Barwin / Larry English
#47 - SS Patrick Chung
#57 - OL Loadholt / Robinson
#70 - CB Mike Mickens

Id love that ...

I'm afraid I don't like that, and I could just as easily see us trade up as trade down.

I'm fine with Mack, Barwin/English and Chung (though I prefer Delmas). I don't think Loadholt/Robinson fit the Pats at all. I don't see us spending a 3rd on a CB at this point, and I'm not a Brinkley fan. But to each his own.

I could see us trading up to target a specific player or players, or a value that is available. #89 is great trading material with a likely 3rd round comp pick. I could see something like the following:

#23 - Connor Barwin, OLB
#34 - William Beatty, OT (or Alex Mack, OG/C)
#35 - Louis Delmas, S (trading #47 and #89)
#58 - traded into 2010 (probably a 2nd round pick from a team expected to do poorly)
#97 - ideally a DL, such as DT Chris Baker or Sammie Lee Hill
#122 - Mike Wallace, WR
4 (comp) - Jason Phillips, ILB
6 - Kevin Huber, P

That would give us about 7 players, all with a decent chance of making the roster, filling some depth holes, and providing long-term starting capability. It would also position us well for 2010, with 3 first day picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes