PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How about this blockbuster deal with Atlanta which takes us out of Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
O.K. We all know the Falcons are desperate for a QB and DE depth and this draft does have some studs expected to all go in the top ten but I think there is only a little dropoff this year between guys who are drafted in the first vs the second round so how about this trade?

The Falcons who have many picks in round 2 trade with New England and thier #7 pick and give away all 3 2nd rounders which is thier 34th,37th and 48th picks leaving Atlanta with two of the top 10 picks at #3 and #7 and leaves New England without having to pay big bucks with a top ten player yet still get valuable picks all in the second for a total of 4 picks in round 2 - 3 of Atlanta and 1 of which NE already has.

So Atlanta gets NE's #7 pick and NE gets Atlanta's 34th,37th,and 48th second round picks along with the 62nd pick NE already has - Sound good?

With that area of picks I can see Lofton,Flowers and maybe Godfrey being around - With even two of those guys,this team gets young and good on defense fast and Atlanta makes out good too - What do you think?

Last edited:
First of all, weren't you the one arguing with me about how the defense doesn't need to be young and fast?

Second, if Matt Ryan is available (he might be considering Miami is entertaining Jake Long), then this might very well be possible. I don't like moving out of the first round but three second rounders will be delicious.

First of all, weren't you the one arguing with me about how the defense doesn't need to be young and fast?

Second, if Matt Ryan is available (he might be considering Miami is entertaining Jake Long), then this might very well be possible. I don't like moving out of the first round but three second rounders will be delicious.

I don't think it was with me,Who doesn't want a young fast defense with of course some veteran leadership mixed in?

I certainly don't want to see Bruschi and a re-signed Seau (unlikely) playing 75% of every game and breathing hard all over the field while runners are flying past them.

i'll take 2 of them and here firsst next year then trade the 2 nd rounders and move up into the 1st round

i'll take 2 of them and here firsst next year then trade the 2 nd rounders and move up into the 1st round

I don't think that would work,Since Atlanta is a team desperately in need for upper echelon talent I don't see them giving a 2009 first round pick to anyone - Of course upper draft picks are far from guaranteed (which is why I would love the 4 - 2nd rd picks) but Atlanta needs the best guys at least seen on paper for the next few years to rebuild what has been screwed up since Vick left and the gutless coach Petrino who quit early on them last year.

Atlanta has about the same amount of salary cap space as the

Patriots. They are looking to trade down not trade up. They might

consider trading one of their early #2 choices to the Pats for our

second round pick and the #3 pick from Oakland.

Atlanta has about the same amount of salary cap space as the

Patriots. They are looking to trade down not trade up. They might

consider trading one of their early #2 choices to the Pats for our

second round pick and the #3 pick from Oakland.

The cap space is about the only thing I see wrong with this trade - From an Atlanta perspective anyway......

Its funny how they don't have more cap space since Vick is not on the roster/payroll,I don't keep track too much on other teams cap situations....

Personally, I don't want any part of a trade that takes us out of the top half of the 1st. This is a very rare chance for the Pats to grab an elite athlete. (Remember that the strongest unit on the team, the DL, is made up entirely of players drafted at #21 and above!)

Personally, I don't want any part of a trade that takes us out of the top half of the 1st. This is a very rare chance for the Pats to grab an elite athlete. (Remember that the strongest unit on the team, the DL, is made up entirely of players drafted at #21 and above!)

While some of what you say is agreeable with me, I still think this draft is so tight in talent between rounds 1 and 2 it is not a big dropoff as much as some draft years where there are only 15 real good looking,almost sure bet players and the others are somewhat a gamble,I think there are at least 2 full rounds of players to which many could make an impact in thier rookie year so a drop out of round 1 for 4 round 2 picks would not be horrible IMO,I did not think that way last year as much.

There was a saying I read somewhere where it said almost all Championship teams are made up of much more 2nd to 7th round guys than a team with a bunch of 1st rounders - It is true for the most part.

Bad idea for Atlanta, two top ten picks means top $ to unproven entities. They need to be financially prudent and add depth to a thin roster. Then possibly next year they can spend some money on a proven free agent or two to solidify the young talent they add this year.

Bad idea for New England beacause we would essentially be taking a pass on the top 30 or so prospects in this draft so we could fill our coffers up with multiple second tier players. Obviously we need more than one person to contibrute out of this draft, having 3 picks in the top 100, all we need to do is fill in the gaping hole between pick 7 and pick 63, an itty bitty trade:cool:

There was a saying I read somewhere where it said almost all Championship teams are made up of much more 2nd to 7th round guys than a team with a bunch of 1st rounders - It is true for the most part.

Well, there are 6 times as many 2nd-7th guys! :p

Off the top of my head, here are players currently penciled in as Pats starters who were originally drafted in round 1:
Mankins
Maroney
Watson
Moss
Seymour
Wilfork
Warren
Bryant
Meriweather

That's 9 out of 22, a HUGE proportion.

While 4 total second rounders sounds great, the Falcons won't do it due to the salary cap for rookies. I would much rather trade into the teens and pick up an additional second or third rounder.

Put me down for 2 of their 2nd rounders and their 1st next yr.

i like ur deal...especially if we can give 2 of our 4 second rounders to Dallas and move back up in the 1st round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes