PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How About OL ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone think we might use our #1 on an OL ?

Light, Mankins, Neal should be set.

Koppen is kind of set except that he's still rehabbing from a bad injury and is a UFA in 11 months. Would we consider Mangold ? I wouldn't as he would be useless this year unless Koppen doesn't make it back.

Then there's RT. I think we all think of Gorin as backup quality. Kaczur - do we want to risk this season on him being solid at RT or think of him as a swing man backup and draft a RT who could be a top talent at that position ?

Of course, we could still use a Day One pick on an OL without using the #1, just wondering if anyone sees the top pick going to this critical spot.

BelichickFan said:
Does anyone think we might use our #1 on an OL ?

Light, Mankins, Neal should be set.

Koppen is kind of set except that he's still rehabbing from a bad injury and is a UFA in 11 months. Would we consider Mangold ? I wouldn't as he would be useless this year unless Koppen doesn't make it back.

The more I think about it, the more Mangold wouldn't surprise me. He's probably on of the five safest picks in the draft, and he can anchor the line for five years. I don't think he's useless this year, IF Koppen makes it back by opening day (and that's a big if), Mangold will back up the interior three positions.

I don't expect Koppen to return next year. Someone's going to offer him a nice free agent contract. I always found him overrated on the big man dance challenge, too.

I don't see using a #1 on a tackle.

dryheat44 said:
I don't think he's useless this year, IF Koppen makes it back by opening day (and that's a big if), Mangold will back up the interior three positions.
Useless was a very poor choice of words on my part as the top backup to several positions is virtually assured of significant playing time (especially on the Patriots, it seems). But he wouldn't be "a starter".

dryheat44 said:
The more I think about it, the more Mangold wouldn't surprise me.
It would also lock up the OL. We know the entire DL (3 starters plus Green and Hill) are all signed through 2009 (or 2010 in some cases).

For the OL :

Light : 2010
Mankins : 2009
Neal : 2009
Kaczur : 2009

Drafting Mangold would lock up the OL through 2009 also, although I'm still not 100% sold on Kaczur until we see how he does in 2006.

BelichickFan said:
It would also lock up the OL. We know the entire DL (3 starters plus Green and Hill) are all signed through 2009 (or 2010 in some cases).

For the OL :

Light : 2010
Mankins : 2009
Neal : 2009
Kaczur : 2009

Drafting Mangold would lock up the OL through 2009 also, although I'm still not 100% sold on Kaczur until we see how he does in 2006.
Kaczur played left tackle last year as a rookie one of the most demanding positions in the NFL and I think he held his own. I'm pretty sure he can play RT as well as the G position. So I think we are pretty set also Gorin is signed through 2007 and has proved he can play. I'm pretty sure they will draft another OL probably in rounds 4 or 5.

Brarrell said:
Kaczur played left tackle last year as a rookie one of the most demanding positions in the NFL and I think he held his own. I'm pretty sure he can play RT
I agree, he was more than acceptable last year given the circumstances. However I would love to know what Belichick/Pioli/Scharneccia think of his upside. We have a Ferrari at QB - I don't just want it in a garage, I want that garage heated and insulated too.

We have
Kayzur,Mankins,Koppen/Hochstein,Neal,Light/Gorin
Britt, Mruczkowksi

This is a strong seven, when Light and Koppen are healthy, and two starters from last year until they are. My suspicion is that Light will come back at RT for awhile, while Kayzur continues his development.

We need to do something at center: extend Koppen, extend Hochstein and/or draft a center.

We could also use an additional OT, perhaps even a stud, although this is unlikely unless Light is more seriously hurt than we know.

Look at:

C Ryan
OT Mcquistan

OL in 1st round

Do not be very surprised if the Pats pick Eric Winston.

He was a top 10 pick before he got hurt. He's just now getting fully healthy. He's nasty and a good athlete. If his medical file checks out then he could be a bargain if the Pats pick him up. I know we have more pressing needs but the word "value" just screams if he slides to the end of the 1st round.

We have plenty of O linemen

The need is NT, LB, RB, WR, every other position has adequate starters and backups.

borisman said:
Do not be very surprised if the Pats pick Eric Winston.
I won't be shocked, it all depends on their evalution of Kaczur. If they think he's a long term starter then I don't see them picking Winston or another OT. Then a Mangold would make more sense with Koppen's upcoming free agency (and current rehab). But if Kaczur is looked at as a long term swing man backup then Winston is very much on the table.

BelichickFan said:
I won't be shocked, it all depends on their evalution of Kaczur. If they think he's a long term starter then I don't see them picking Winston or another OT. Then a Mangold would make more sense with Koppen's upcoming free agency (and current rehab). But if Kaczur is looked at as a long term swing man backup then Winston is very much on the table.

Surely Kaczur is looked at as a long term starter.

Ryan Cook C in the bottom of the third or lower represents great value.

dryheat44 said:
The more I think about it, the more Mangold wouldn't surprise me. He's probably on of the five safest picks in the draft, and he can anchor the line for five years. I don't think he's useless this year, IF Koppen makes it back by opening day (and that's a big if), Mangold will back up the interior three positions.

I don't expect Koppen to return next year. Someone's going to offer him a nice free agent contract. I always found him overrated on the big man dance challenge, too.

I don't see using a #1 on a tackle.

What a fascinating suggestion. I've been disregarding OL in the first because the guard and tackle positions look pretty solid with long-term deals for Light, Mankins, Neal and Kaczur. Duh, isn't something missing there?

Koppen's injury has been reported as serious. He's a UFA after the season. And center is one of the few positions in the draft with a clear-cut #1 prospect and a major dropoff to #2. I fully expect Mangold to go in the first, since teams like the Jets and Pittsburgh have holes at the position. Hmm...

Here's one wild hypothetical:

The Pats like Lawson, Carpenter or Cromartie at #21 and all three are gone. No great value on the board. And say Chicago would like to squeeze in ahead of Denver to nab Chad Jackson. A modest trade down and Mangold at #26 looks very reasonable, leaving you with a ton of picks in the 2-4 range to maneuver for a nice group of players. And leaving draft prognosticators across the land to weep in frustration. Not likely, but not out of the question.

jct said:
Ryan Cook C in the bottom of the third or lower represents great value.
The only thing with Cook is that he's 6'6" which is awfully tall for a Center. I like his versatility but I'm not sure he's a starter at Center in the NFL.

BelichickFan said:
The only thing with Cook is that he's 6'6" which is awfully tall for a Center. I like his versatility but I'm not sure he's a starter at Center in the NFL.

Ryan Cook
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Position: C
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
College:New Mexico

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Projected Round3
MEASUREMENTS
HEIGHT 6'7"
WEIGHT 318
40 TIME 5.50

ATTRIBUTE SCORE
SIZE 9/10
SPEED 6/10
STRENGTH 8/10
ATHLETICISM 6/10
XFACTOR 7/10

DRAFTX.com VALUE

Pros: Punishing run blocker with very good strength. Shows great form, and has emerged into one of the better centers in the nation. Terrific size and uses it well. Good footwork and quickness, very nimble for a big man. Versatile, consistent and experienced.
Cons: Hasn't been playing top competition at New Mexico, and hasn't been tested in the passing game as often as you'd expect due to NM being a primarily run-oriented offense. Has been surrounded by one of the better OLs in the nation, and a very productive back.
Strengths:
Has great size and a large frame with long arms...Is very strong...Plays with an attitude and has a nasty demeanor on the field...Feet and quickness are more than adequate inside...Smart and a hard worker who wants to improve...Versatile and can play multiple positions...Durable and productive with a lot of experience.

Weaknesses:
Might be too tall and struggles with leverage and knee bend...Is not very mobile or adept in space...Not very explosive...Is not a great natural athlete...Below average at the second level taking on linebackers...Weight room strength doesn't always translate onto the field...Still raw and will need to be developed further.

Notes:
Former walk-on for the Lobos...Highly decorated and earned first team all-MWC honors three straight years...Could potentially move outside to tackle at the next level...Interesting developmental prospect due to his great size and intangibles.

I agree with you to say he is not necessarily a starter. However the guy would be a great late 3rd pickup. Cheap for 4 yrs and maybe a starter. He is nasty.

Last edited:
jct said:
I agree with you to say he is not necessarily a starter. However the guy would be a great late 3rd pickup. Cheap for 4 yrs and maybe a starter. He is nasty.
Supposedly he's someone we've shown a good amount of interest in so don't forget about him on draft day.

patchick said:
What a fascinating suggestion. I've been disregarding OL in the first because the guard and tackle positions look pretty solid with long-term deals for Light, Mankins, Neal and Kaczur. Duh, isn't something missing there?

Koppen's injury has been reported as serious. He's a UFA after the season. And center is one of the few positions in the draft with a clear-cut #1 prospect and a major dropoff to #2. I fully expect Mangold to go in the first, since teams like the Jets and Pittsburgh have holes at the position. Hmm...

Here's one wild hypothetical:

The Pats like Lawson, Carpenter or Cromartie at #21 and all three are gone. No great value on the board. And say Chicago would like to squeeze in ahead of Denver to nab Chad Jackson. A modest trade down and Mangold at #26 looks very reasonable, leaving you with a ton of picks in the 2-4 range to maneuver for a nice group of players. And leaving draft prognosticators across the land to weep in frustration. Not likely, but not out of the question.

Patchick, you make this all sound very believable! Of course this assumes BB considers Mangold worthy of a 1st Round pick.

p8ryts said:
The need is NT, LB, RB, WR, every other position has adequate starters and backups.

Sorry, but you are very mistaken. NT is not a need. We have a very good starter in Wilfork. Reserve NT may or may not be a need depending on what the Pats feel regarding Wright and Thomas.

Lumping ILB and OLB together and calling it LB is a fallacy as well. The Pats have 9 LBs signed currently. The major concern, unless they move Vrabel back outside is one of the strongest positions in the draft and that is OLB. ILB isn't nearly as strong.

RB isn't a NEED position as the Pats already have 4 RBs on the roster in Dillon, Faulk, Evans, and Charles. (I don't consider Evans a FB since he can't really block).

DaBruinz said:
Sorry, but you are very mistaken. NT is not a need. We have a very good starter in Wilfork. Reserve NT may or may not be a need depending on what the Pats feel regarding Wright and Thomas.

Lumping ILB and OLB together and calling it LB is a fallacy as well. The Pats have 9 LBs signed currently. The major concern, unless they move Vrabel back outside is one of the strongest positions in the draft and that is OLB. ILB isn't nearly as strong.

RB isn't a NEED position as the Pats already have 4 RBs on the roster in Dillon, Faulk, Evans, and Charles. (I don't consider Evans a FB since he can't really block).

I agree totally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back