PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How about Mankins for Revis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainefan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Well, maybe not Revis--but we do have some valuable trade bait, no?

At this point, theres no reason to panic, but I'd consider it before week 4 , depending how we stand with the young CB group! Of course we won't get Revis, hopefully somebody that could contribute !

Last edited:
Would you trade a disgruntled player who wants 8 million a year for another disgruntled player who wants 16 million a year?

It's nice to think about but clearly cap issues will get in the way.

Plus:
-Jets would NEVER trade him here
-It would take Mankins and a couple more high picks.
-Pats wouldn't pay him the kind of $$ he wants.

It would take AT LEAST Mankins and one of our first rounders to get Revis and that would be if the Pats caught Mike Tannenbaum on a really generous day. Revis is one of the best defensive players in the league. Mankins may be one of the best guards in the league, but he is still just a guard.

Ok, but my real point is that we might find someone with a fairly good CB who badly needs a guard. Bodden is a good player, but Mankins is better and more valuable.

Ok, but my real point is that we might find someone with a fairly good CB who badly needs a guard. Bodden is a good player, but Mankins is better and more valuable.

As much as I'd still like Mankins on this team, trading him for quality defensive help suddenly seems more plausible. The question is who, because it won't be Revis.

You really blew it with this crazy title :)

But, yes, we have a ton of commodities to trade, high draft picks, Mankins, and some lesser players who have been decent starters for us (Sanders, Maroney, etc) who could help another team in a pinch. The reality is that we still have a #1, two #2s and a #4 at CB - while they are now players not picks, we have spent more than enough at the position that it's the Patriots' own fault if they can't get decent play out of what's left.

I would trade Mankins for any decent value at CB, OLB, OL, DL at this point.

Last edited:

If we were to get value for Mankins, CB is not a position I would look at. Eventhough Bodden is a loss, we look to have two starting quality players there. I would trade Mankins for a pass rushing OLB or d-lineman over a CB.

Personally, I would consider talking to Dallas who seem to be deep on the d-line and OLB, but weak on the o-line and see what we could do.

Last edited:
I would trade Mankins for any decent value at CB, OLB, OL at this point.

Agreed. You want to push for like value in a trade but not sure that there is a player on the block who would represent similar value as LM.

Got your attention, though. And yes, I know that there's no one on our team, with the possible exception of Brady, who could get us Revis. What I'm saying is that our troubles are not as bad as they look at first.

I wouldn't pay 16 million for a corner. Why would anyone else who isn't plainly stupid.

the pats are not that bad at DB sure it would have been great for Wilhite, to be the #4 CB and not the nickel back he was last year but the season is not over this team will still win a lot of games if the offense can score 28 points a game the defense will only give up 17 to 19 points a game

the pats are still the top team in the AFC east IMO

as far as Mankins, they will not get a even trade for him meaning they will not get a all pro player back for him it would be some JAG working on a small one year contract will the other team gives Mankins, he's big pay day... so there is no reason to trade him let him sit out and comeback by mid season and let him walk at the end of the year and the pats will get a 3rd round pick for him.

The Pats never trade player for player. Player for player deals are rare these days.

patriots do not have the right to mankins to trade him. so which ever trades have to give him his 8 million /yr contract on top on the settlement.

so why would some one pay mankins and give a top level trade?.
the pats get a good corner that will be monster deal.

mankins for Vincent Jackson

That's actually not a bad trade, but I just don't think it fits right now. I think with Moss being in his final year, Jackson would be terrific to have, moving forward, but if Mankins is moved, I think it needs to be for some help on the defensive side of the ball.

THE JETS WOULD NEVER DO THIS. It's a crazy trade idea. It's a homerish trade idea, though I think it comes from a well-intentioned place. If we threw in a #1 pick WITH Mankins, the jets STILL wouldn't do it.

the pats are going to have to do something with mankins.

they can't just sit on him. he does not have the same urgency to even show up by week 10 because if a CBA gets done, it is likely he will automatically become a UFA because of his 5 years. if there is no CBA, nobody's getting paid next year anyway. I am sure the pats will get to use the franchise tag on him if they want, but that kind of changes everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes