PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How About Drafting Zero Second Rounders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
draft Jared Odrick, with #22 and trade #44 and #53 to the cowboys for #27 and take Jerry Hughes, or Sergio Kindle, keep #47 and draft Mardy Gilyard, or Rob Gronkowski, and ill be happy with that.

Cousin, I will give you a trade scenario if you promise not to consider Ordick who some publications have projected as a third rounder, at #22. Understand that the last image of him playing NCAA football in his bowl game against LSU who has a weak O Line, he got beat pretty badly. Can't see most NFL O-Line being worse than LSU's.

Here is the logic: Holmgren of the Browns has time vested in doing major discovery on Jimmy Clausen. I don't think Clausen goes in the top ten. Too many other massive needs for that group of Teams. Although he overpaid for Delhomme, he got what he wanted, leadership that neither Quinn, nor Anderson brought to the table. He knows the 35 year old Delhomme is a stop gap and Senneca Wallace is not a starter, but knows Holmgren's system. Like they did when Quinn got Drafted , they could jump back in at .....#22.
I have worked the Draft chart a little and come up with this-

#22 is worth 780 on the NFL Draft Points list. The Browns could jump back to consider him there with a Trade with the Pats.

The Pats could get
1-The Pats get #38 at 520 points.

2-The Browns have (3) Three third round picks. It has been said that the third round may be the sweet spot rather than the second. The Pats get two of those picks but the Browns have two first round picks and a third rounder.

Pats get Browns #85 at 165 points, and #92 at 132 points which total out at 297 points.

3-A Browns get our 6th rounder #190 which will have a value of about 15 Draft points.

Then the Browns keep and five more for a total of eight picks. Not a bad number.

We get a second and two thirds and give up a first and a sixth. That would net us six picks in the first 100 players of this Draft. Then we have a fourth and the remainder rounds for 13 picks total.
DW Toys

We get a second and two thirds and give up a first and a sixth. That would net us six picks in the first 100 players of this Draft. Then we have a fourth and the remainder rounds for 13 picks total.
DW Toys

Great for thinking outside the box. The only other thing needed for this to work is the Browns firing Ratgini.

Ok, and what makes you guys so sure that other teams will be willing to trade their first round picks for our 2nds if there is such bad value in the 2nd? I do not think we should get rid of multiple seconds; I think this is a deep draft that has plenty of good value in the 2nd-3rd rounds. If anything, we should trade down to the bottom of the first and grab Jerry Hughes and then we will have an OLB and we can grab a 3rd rounder aswell. I think Hughes will be there in the late first.

Last edited:
You also forgot to add the Pats have had little success drafting in the second round since 2001. Off the top of my head the Pats only successful players were Branch, Light and Wilson for 2 years. 2009 is yet to be determined.
Is this one of those knee-jerk PATSSUCK posts, or do you believe what you say here?

Here is what I believe:

There is no way the BB and the Pats aren't better than average in overall selections in the second round. I defy you to give me 15 teams that did better in the second round during the 10 years BB was head coach of the Pats.

BB had 12 second round picks as the Pats head coach in 10 drafts. Only two (Hill and jackson) can be considered busts.

All the others played with some degree of success.

Highly successful have been Light Branch and Wilson, as you said.

Klemm, Bethel Johnson and Wheatley played freasonably well. Klemm was solid at swing tackle. Bethel made some spectacular catches and without his runback for a TD at the end of the half against the Colts, we'd have played in Indy for the AFCCG.

Vollmer, Butler and Chung show tremendous promise, particularly butler and Vollmer.

Too soon to tell if Brace is a just one of the inexplicable guys who take a year to get it, or was a mistake.

No team has all probowlers or even all starters in their second round picks for the last ten drafts. After a quick perusal of other team's second rounders, I would put the Pats at least in the top 10 for second round selections, maybe even top 5.

I don't want to see a reprise of 2007 when we brought in a lot of rookies that were never going to make the roster, regardless of the fact that more than a few were good enough to make AN NFL roster....just not ours
You know, it's a tough sell to say that 2007 was a bad year. Yeah, we gave away some NFL-quality players, but BB did keep the ones he wanted, and seemed to do okay with the ones he kept that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back