PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How about a draft day trade with Philadelphia such as this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
We deal with the Eagles giving up our #23 selection in the first round
our #34 selection in the second round
our #89 selection in the third round
FOR

The Eagles first round picks #21 and #28

We then grab James Lauranitis at #21 and at #28 we take Sean Smith

The Eagles take Chris Wells at #23 and take Kenny Britt at #34

How do you like this trade and prediction?

Although I thought it was a great decision at the time, I wouldn't want to do any trades like this after the Chad Jackson fiasco. What I have learned, no matter how many people project this guy to be a sure thing, doesn't make him a sure thing. I think the Pats are better off by staying put or moving up slightly to grab as many players as they can.

We deal with the Eagles giving up our #23 selection in the first round
our #34 selection in the second round
our #89 selection in the third round
FOR

The Eagles first round picks #21 and #28

We then grab James Lauranitis at #21 and at #28 we take Sean Smith

The Eagles take Chris Wells at #23 and take Kenny Britt at #34

How do you like this trade and prediction?

Value-wise it's a reasonable trade. I don't particularly like your choice of players, but to each his own.

I guess the question to me would be who we would be getting at 21 and 28 that we couldn't get at 23 and 34. If we were enamored of an OT prospect and wanted to grab them at 21, or if we thought someone like Delmas wouldn't last until 34, then I think it would be reasonable.

Value-wise it's a reasonable trade. I don't particularly like your choice of players, but to each his own.

I guess the question to me would be who we would be getting at 21 and 28 that we couldn't get at 23 and 34. If we were enamored of an OT prospect and wanted to grab them at 21, or if we thought someone like Delmas wouldn't last until 34, then I think it would be reasonable.

I would think it would depend on where Maualuga and Matthews up end and at what pick - I do think the Pats will be definately looking for an ILB that they think will fit thier team well and it should be an early pick at that.

I think Matthews will be off the board so Lauranaitis seems the next logical choice - Maualuga will definately be gone before the picks in the 20s

All the various trade possibilities make my head spin...... I'm not averse to them if it improves what BB wants to do, who to draft but...... Brain-Freeze here.

The Eagles have more picks than they know what to do with. I don't see why they would make any more with any team imo.
They have lots of $$ under tha Cap but don't seem to get much better.

While not a fan of them; I believe there owner only cares about $$ and just putting out a good enough team to tease their fans.

Why would the patriots necessarily want those two players is the big question. And they when trade up for them? JL isn't really a 3-4 run stuffer, more like a 4-3 cover back, don't think he'd fit here. S smith is said by one site to not be a good tackler and not really a safety. We have a ton of CBs already.

I'm a big believer in being flexible and not necessarily targeting any one player. It costs value to make sure you get that one player, by definition.

Won't happen. To much movement. Plus I doubt we need to pull the trigger to land either of these guys. I am not saying they are bad players, but I think Pat's can do better staying put. I do think Pat's will lose 34-trade for 2010 round one pick. Pat's really don't want to sign 2 round one players to that kind of money. More likely Pat's will move up higher like last year when they went after Mayo-whom very few experts saw that one coming. It worked out great. Maybe they follow that same recipe for success. Trade up to grab the guy that Belichick covets. There will be movement-just not this Eagles move.

I love the trade but I hate the picks. I would go something like this...

#21) Eben Britton OT-Arizona
#28) Clay Matthews or Conner Barwin (Since people here like him so much)...
#47) William Moore SS-Mizzou
#58) BPA ???

I would beEcstatic if this went down!:D

I love the trade but I hate the picks. I would go something like this...

#21) Eben Britton OT-Arizona
#28) Clay Matthews or Conner Barwin (Since people here like him so much)...
#47) William Moore SS-Mizzou
#58) BPA ???

I would beEcstatic if this went down!:D

I like that scenario better. Make it Barwin instead of Matthews and I'm happy. Substitute Beatty for Britton and I like it even more. Find a way for Delmas to be available at 47 instead of Moore and I love it. Use #58 on Jarron Gilbert or Eric Wood, or trade it into 2010 for a probable high 2nd rounder, and I've gone to heaven.

I guess the question to me would be who we would be getting at 21 and 28 that we couldn't get at 23 and 34.

To me the real head-scratcher is the 21/23 swap. Such a small move is usually a strategic response to a particular player dropping or trying to swipe him from the team right above you. But Laurinaitis at 21 is hardly a steal, and neither Philly nor the Vikings at #22 is any threat to take him. So that move up seems to gain the Pats nothing but a higher salary to pay.

If this does not happen with Philly,I can see the Eagles also giving up 21 and 28 to move up to 7 and do a swap with Oakland to try and get Crabtree if he is still on the board by then.

The Raiders would be wise to pick up more draft picks as much as they can and the Eagles could be deadly if McNabb has a playmaker at WR which Crabtree looks to be a pretty good NFL prospect.

Last edited:
This deal doesn't make sense for the Eagles. At 28 they're in an ideal spot to take a WR, but if they move down to 34 then they have a bunch of teams ahead of them also looking for a WR.

To me the real head-scratcher is the 21/23 swap. Such a small move is usually a strategic response to a particular player dropping or trying to swipe him from the team right above you. But Laurinaitis at 21 is hardly a steal, and neither Philly nor the Vikings at #22 is any threat to take him. So that move up seems to gain the Pats nothing but a higher salary to pay.

The only reason I could see BB moving up two slots is if a run starts on a position (OLB? CB?) that he has targeted in the first round. Similar to what he did with Chicago a few years ago when the DL run got started early.

And actually given the mess that is Detriot, you could even see BB having the ammunition to trade for pick #20 and still keep #23.

The Eagles have more picks than they know what to do with. I don't see why they would make any more with any team imo.
They have lots of $$ under tha Cap but don't seem to get much better.

While not a fan of them; I believe there owner only cares about $$ and just putting out a good enough team to tease their fans.

The Patriots' 11 picks are second only to the Iggles' 12 (of course, before the Lewis trade, it was the other way around. . . .).

And actually given the mess that is Detriot, you could even see BB having the ammunition to trade for pick #20 and still keep #23.

Now you got me thinking...

Pats get:

#20 = 825
#65 = 265
#82 = 180
and their 5th round(1st) = 40(roughly)
Total = 1310

Detroit gets:

#34 = 560
#47 = 430
#58 = 320
Total = 1310

:eat1:

Rounds 1-3 we'd have:

I know 34-58 is the sweet spot of this draft, but having that 1st pick on day 2 is pretty sweet too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye