How About 1 Front 7 player in the first 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
======================
We have 6 top 100 picks, and we all seem to agree that we will draft a DE in the first two rounds. There is no rush in the first if we are OK with the choices in the 2nd: Ballard, Paea, Bailey, Elllis, Jenkins, Austin). With the expected trade out of 28 to 50 (and likely a 2012 pick), we will have three seconds and two thirds (or even four 2's if San Diego trades us 50 and 61 (with our 92 going to them).
=============================================
CONCLUSION
Belichick could very well wait until the 2nd and 3rd to pick the ONE or TWO front seven players we might want. This doesn't mean that he wouldn't draft a stud DE if he thought one was there. He could wait if he wanted to.
==============================================
BOTTOM LINE
Our picks at around 17 is totally free to be used on anyone Belichick values. And yes, we could even have 2 picks in the 12-22 range if Belichick see that as the sweet spot (33 plus 74 or even 60).

Personally, I want the Pats to select two front seven players in the first round assuming there are DEs and OLBs they want available. I think the offense can still be a top offense with very little work, but the defense won't even be above average unless they add at least two play makers.

Personally, I want the Pats to select two front seven players in the first round assuming there are DEs and OLBs they want available. I think the offense can still be a top offense with very little work, but the defense won't even be above average unless they add at least two play makers.

Just adding the IRed players back would take the defense to average, even if they're not quite 100%.

Of course he doesn't try to manufacture players, but I'd be very disappointed if we don't get a top DE. No one's worth it, then that's that, but I doubt we find the size speed athleticism, character, meanness etc combination in the second or third.

DE/OLB is more of a crapshoot, so we'll see if we find someone or keep running through prospects on teams that might fit us better than where we were.

In conclusion The big DE, you know him when you see him.

Depending on who they like, maybe a trade up here.

OLB/DE, he's either a top top pick, or a surprise package. Big big bust potential here.

Last edited:
Once the music stops and there is a season ready to happen, I expect us to be in just as good shape for free agency as we are for the draft.
I think that BB sees very specific areas that he wants to address, and between both methods will fill them all, as many as possible with long term solutions from the top of the draft or FA and short term solutions with whats left.
If the whole lockout thing gets handled, I think BB will have a greater amount of resources to add to the roster between draft picks and cap space/available FAs than he has ever had in a season.

Depending on how things shape up with Light and Mankins, BB better be looking at O-lineman just as much as d-lineman. Hell, he could spend the first 6 picks on both lines, and i'd be happy ;)

there are different ways to approach the draft.......if the hoped for DE's/OLB's get taken before the pats pick at 17 (watt, jordan, even wilkerson.....and smith, kerrigan), chances are that good value at OT will be had with that pick (smith, castonzo, solder, carimi)......then at 28...same thing.....there's heyward, or there's pouncey.......

to me it almost seems more important to get the OL guys you want in round 1 because the falloff there is larger than it is with DL/OLB......I'd rather take my chances with Castonzo and Pouncey in rd1 and OLB reed and DE bailey in round 2 (or sheard and ballard....there are others), than getting the guys DL guys that might work and then settling on slow-footed OL's who could be useless to the pats.....

Wait?

Expected trade to 50?

It's been reported once.

We are more likely to trade up to the 8-12 area for our Passrusher than trade 28 to the Chargers

The three first round picks (Wilfork, Seymour, Warren) have worked out. No other pick has really gotten it done, as a Patriot, in the BB era. He's got the ammunition to get pretty much any player in the draft. I'd have to think that it's as least as likely the team will trade up as trade down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back