PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Houston's turf may already have derailed Clowney's career

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Texans LB Jadeveon Clowney underwent microfracture knee surgery on Monday and is expected to be sidelined nine months, per sources.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/542489558617980928

A lot of these guys never really recover from the surgery. Best of luck to Clowney, and it will be interesting to see whether or not this finally gets Houston to make the changes it should have made years ago.

It's unfortunate that the league can't sue Houston to replace that field.

About the only thing that could help is if teams simply refused to play there, citing previous injuries (Welker) and such.

It's unfortunate that the league can't sue Houston to replace that field.

About the only thing that could help is if teams simply refused to play there, citing previous injuries (Welker) and such.

Yeah, since the game Welker got injured in was meaningless, we could have forfeited! Not sure that would helped us beat the Ravens. Welker wouldn't have helped us stop Ray Rice from scoring an 80 yard TD or a strip sack of TB.

Shame for Clowney and the Texans, and that first overall pick could have been huge not only for this year, but for the future as well.

As the OP says, maybe the silver lining will be the change that we've all been hoping for? Does anyone know the next time that N.England would be scheduled to play there? I want to say that the AFC South is coming around the rotation again (last happened in 2012, I believe), although I don't know where the game would be scheduled--here or there?

Shame for Clowney and the Texans, and that first overall pick could have been huge not only for this year, but for the future as well.

As the OP says, maybe the silver lining will be the change that we've all been hoping for? Does anyone know the next time that N.England would be scheduled to play there? I want to say that the AFC South is coming around the rotation again (last happened in 2012, I believe), although I don't know where the game would be scheduled--here or there?

2009—NE@HOU
2012—HOU@NE
2015—NE@HOU

Yeah, since the game Welker got injured in was meaningless, we could have forfeited! Not sure that would helped us beat the Ravens. Welker wouldn't have helped us stop Ray Rice from scoring an 80 yard TD or a strip sack of TB.

Not meaning we have to forfeit, but opposing teams could demand to play the game at some other field nearby. A college field, perhaps. But something MUST be done to force Houston's owners to upgrade that field.

I really hope it wouldn't come to this but if Watt happened to tear his ACL on the field *knocks on wood* and cited the field as the cause, I could possibly see the Texans looking into it. Not likely though as they are incredibly stubborn.

2009—NE@HOU
2012—HOU@NE
2015—NE@HOU

Thanks, ct. I remembered the MNF game in 2012 being in Foxborough, but sometimes they have those 3 in a row type of deals, so I wasn't sure.

That field has a record in this regard that speaks volume, but on TV it does not look that bad, I mean, not like the Washington Redskins field , that you can see in a 1980's TV how bad it is.

F20B74F8E42E450BB7614DB621FAF79C.ashx

NaturalGrassSyntheticTurf_m.jpg

hi-res-159045318_crop_north.jpg

rgiiilead.jpg

Pictures from one game, but it has never changed as far as I know

Once again this neglect illustrates the absolute blatant hypocrisy that Goodell & the league exhibit when they shed croc tears over "player safety". The whole act is a charade to mitigate future liability suits from players & the union.

I will always prefer natural grass fields to phonyturf fields, so I hope that there will be a way to improve
Houston's field without having to replace it with a phonyturf one like the Pats did in 2006.

I think the field should be one big trampoline.........

I will always prefer natural grass fields to phonyturf fields, so I hope that there will be a way to improve
Houston's field without having to replace it with a phonyturf one like the Pats did in 2006.
The latest version of Field Turf, which the Pats have, is pretty good stuff, though. In some ways it's been said to be superior to grass in helping to prevent injury.

are you sure it was the field that did it?

Once again this neglect illustrates the absolute blatant hypocrisy that Goodell & the league exhibit when they shed croc tears over "player safety". The whole act is a charade to mitigate future liability suits from players & the union.

The only retort I have to this is that a crap field will blow out a knee (which is bad, don't get me wrong) but isn't going to result in massive head trauma that might cause the player to forget his children's names, be unable to go out in sunlight, or develop CTE and possibly kill himself. I can't really say the two things are equal in any way.

That field has a record in this regard that speaks volume, but on TV it does not look that bad, I mean, not like the Washington Redskins field , that you can see in a 1980's TV how bad it is.

F20B74F8E42E450BB7614DB621FAF79C.ashx

NaturalGrassSyntheticTurf_m.jpg

hi-res-159045318_crop_north.jpg

rgiiilead.jpg

Pictures from one game, but it has never changed as far as I know
The field(s) in these pics is/are really bad

It's disgusting to me that the team and league allows teams to have less than stellar fields

2009—NE@HOU
2012—HOU@NE
2015—NE@HOU

After checking the future AFCE schedule, I noticed that the Pats have home games against weaker teams than the away teams.
Home - AFCE + Jags (perfect name), Titans (misnomer), Philly, the Redskins and AFCN match (?)
Away - AFCE + Houston, Indy, Dallas, NYG + AFCW match (likely Denver)
If things stay close to what they are the Pats are going to have a tough road schedule next year, including the poor surface at Houston.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/542489558617980928

A lot of these guys never really recover from the surgery. Best of luck to Clowney, and it will be interesting to see whether or not this finally gets Houston to make the changes it should have made years ago.

Somehow I have trouble seeing that happen

While Green Bay Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy politely dodged the question asking how owners feel about Goodell's job performance, Houston Texans owner Bob McNair didn't hesitate to give his support of the commissioner.

"I think Roger has done an outstanding job," McNair told USA TODAY Sports at the Conrad Hotel Tuesday. "It's been a difficult situation. He would have handled the Rice thing differently had he had more information. And I understand that. He has to make a lot of difficult decisions. This is just one of them, and I think he's doing a fine job."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...expresses-support-for-roger-goodell/16884813/

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back