PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Houston should have traded down

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobgeorge

Reaction score
I applaud the Texans for not drafting Bush, since he would have stunk out the joint with no one to block for him.

But what Houston should have done is to offer up the pick for a ton of slightly lower picks, and select as many good OL as they could. Then maybe David Carr would stop getting killed (I'm sure my daughter's music teacher would appreciate her son-in-law getting sacked less), Domanick Davis would play up to his talents (they don't need Bush if they have him), and the Texans would shore up at least their offense this year.

If nothing else, why not spend the #1 on D'Brick if they didn't want Bush? That would have been a much better pick than a DE.

Bob G

I think it might have been too risky to do that, Bob. Mario had quickly become a hot pick and, in a division featuring Peyton and his gang of 10, a championship-level D is important. While I agree that they need OL (desperately), I think Houston can still get it in rounds 2 and 3 - and, again, losing out on Mario was a non-starter for them, and I think that's defensible.

bobgeorge said:
I applaud the Texans for not drafting Bush, since he would have stunk out the joint with no one to block for him.

But what Houston should have done is to offer up the pick for a ton of slightly lower picks, and select as many good OL as they could. Then maybe David Carr would stop getting killed (I'm sure my daughter's music teacher would appreciate her son-in-law getting sacked less), Domanick Davis would play up to his talents (they don't need Bush if they have him), and the Texans would shore up at least their offense this year.

If nothing else, why not spend the #1 on D'Brick if they didn't want Bush? That would have been a much better pick than a DE.

Bob G

I agree with a lot of this. Dom Davis had 1300 yards last year with that line. And i believe that's his 3rd straight solid year on that god-awful team. Who is to say Bush is even as good as DAvis. Davis is a good receiver and good runner. they should have traded the pick to JEts or Pack , picked DBRick. Picking reggie would have been the worst move, picking overraed mario is the 2nd worst, and picking Dbrick with the 1st pick is the 3rd worst option.

trading down is (was) the best option.

bobgeorge said:

Bob G

It would have been a reach for D'Brick. Do you think they did no try to trade down? Obviously, there a few teams capable to satisfy Houston (many high picks).

You have to have a partner willing to trade up. It's likely there wasn't a team will to pay the price for that number one spot.

workhorse said:
You have to have a partner willing to trade up. It's likely there wasn't a team will to pay the price for that number one spot.

I agree. That seems a likely scenario.

workhorse said:

What he said.

Keegs said:
I agree with a lot of this. Dom Davis had 1300 yards last year with that line. And i believe that's his 3rd straight solid year on that god-awful team. Who is to say Bush is even as good as DAvis. Davis is a good receiver and good runner. they should have traded the pick to JEts or Pack , picked DBRick. Picking reggie would have been the worst move, picking overraed mario is the 2nd worst, and picking Dbrick with the 1st pick is the 3rd worst option.

trading down is (was) the best option.

Mario Williams is overrated?

You're kidding right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes