PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Houston Radio Guys on With Gresh and Zo...Make it Stop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsDeb

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else listening to that 15 minutes of hell? I never thought that other radio "personalities" could make me long for Felger & Mazz. The Houston guys had Ted Johnson on with them and they were rude from the get-go. Gresh joked (in an obvious way) "that you guys have with you some guy named Ted Johnson, who we have never heard of..." when introducing them, and they started right in, saying, "It doesn't surprise me that someone who thinks the Patriots 2012 defense is better than the Bengals 2012 defense has never heard of Ted Johnson. He won 3 Superbowl rings with the Patriots." as if they really meant they had never heard of Ted Johnson. It then degenerated into a shouting match over Gresh's credentials. Zo tried to ask Ted Johnson some football questions and was drowned out by the other three (the two Houston guys and Gresh) fighting over who has a better resume. Zo kept telling Gresh to "Shut up! I'm talking here!" to no avail.

Remember Gresh before he was on 98.5, when he was loud, whiny and strident? He reverted to form in the face of their insults, which were equally inappropriate. What a total embarrassment. I turned it off after 5 minutes, which is too bad because I wanted to hear a reasonable perspective from the other side.

Anyone else listen to the whole thing? Did it get any better?

Once the screaming match started I took my earphones out. It was like listening to the Big Show back in the day which is why I switch to 98.5 in the first place

Once the screaming match started I took my earphones out. It was like listening to the Big Show back in the day which is why I switch to 98.5 in the first place

I had this exact thought as I turned off the radio!

I have given up on 98.5. I never liked Gresh & Zo. Gresh has always been annoying to me, for the exact reason you gave above. Used to listen to Felger & Mazz. Now I can't stand them. It seems that since they've taken over the top of the ratings board, they feel like they can say whatever they want and not back it up. It's always, "the Patriots pinch pennies," "Rondo is an immature a-hole," and "go Bruins!" It's just not informative radio anymore. And since 96.9 is now music, I don't have any talk radio to listen to. I need to find me a new talk station to dial in to during the 5 p.m. commute.

Ugh. I head into work in a few minutes and usually put 98.5 on then. Hopefully this thing is over then.

Gresh and Zo have been pretty full of themselves this week because Zo tweeted about the Texans being "frauds" and that got some reaction from Houston. It's like they can't talk about it/themselves enough. And to make it worse they've had Shaughnessy on to rehash his crap.

At work I usually stick with 98.5 til 2, when I switch to WFAN — I like Zo enough to tolerate Gresh — but yesterday I switched right at noon. Might have to switch early again today.

Patriots.com radio all the way

Last edited:
I have given up on 98.5. I never liked Gresh & Zo. Gresh has always been annoying to me, for the exact reason you gave above. Used to listen to Felger & Mazz. Now I can't stand them. It seems that since they've taken over the top of the ratings board, they feel like they can say whatever they want and not back it up. It's always, "the Patriots pinch pennies," "Rondo is an immature a-hole," and "go Bruins!" It's just not informative radio anymore. And since 96.9 is now music, I don't have any talk radio to listen to. I need to find me a new talk station to dial in to during the 5 p.m. commute.

Unfortunately, WEEI changed its lineup to meet the 98.5 "challenge". Instead of leaving the excellent Dale & Holley show alone, they killed it, which weakened the station. With Amendolara leaving 98.5, nighttime sports talk has also crapped out.

6-10 Music
10-2 Zo/Merloni (Avoid listening to Gresh and "Mutt")
2-6 Holley & guests (Also, Francessa on WFAN)
6-12 Music

Focus your listening efforts that way, and it's decent radio.

Unfortunately, WEEI changed its lineup to meet the 98.5 "challenge". Instead of leaving the excellent Dale & Holley show alone, they killed it, which weakened the station. With Amendolara leaving 98.5, nighttime sports talk has also crapped out.

6-10 Music
6-12 Music

With WEEI getting killed in the ratings (everyone day part of the station finished 6-8 places or more behind 98.5), odds are good that there will be some major shake ups in the line up in the next six months to a year. Chad Finn speculates that Dennis and Callahan could be moved to WRKO where their Right Wing views will fit into their format because their contracts are so ironclad that they are unfireable. I think Mutt and Merloni aren't much for this world. Ordway will be gone after his current contract expires if not sooner.

We can hope that this time around that WEEI makes smart moves to counter 98.5. I know the Holley move to drive time was more out of necessity to avoid having him defect to 98.5 since he is one of the only personalities on the station attractive to 98.5 and would have been a perfect pairing with Felger. But this time around, they will have to be smart and realize the sports talk that made them a powerhouse in the 90s and early 2000s is outdated and they benefitted from lack of competition for far too long.

6-10 Music
6-12 Music

I have given WEEI a try and don't like any of it. My next course of action is to get an app for my phone and listen to something through that. Can't be any worse!

With WEEI getting killed in the ratings (everyone day part of the station finished 6-8 places or more behind 98.5), odds are good that there will be some major shake ups in the line up in the next six months to a year. Chad Finn speculates that Dennis and Callahan could be moved to WRKO where their Right Wing views will fit into their format because their contracts are so ironclad that they are unfireable. I think Mutt and Merloni aren't much for this world. Ordway will be gone after his current contract expires if not sooner.

We can hope that this time around that WEEI makes smart moves to counter 98.5. I know the Holley move to drive time was more out of necessity to avoid having him defect to 98.5 since he is one of the only personalities on the station attractive to 98.5 and would have been a perfect pairing with Felger. But this time around, they will have to be smart and realize the sports talk that made them a powerhouse in the 90s and early 2000s is outdated and they benefitted from lack of competition for far too long.

I agree that WEEI needs to make changes. "Mutt" needs to go, for example, and Callahan has become a caricature of himself.

I don't agree with your interpretation of the problem as laid out in your second paragraph. I think it comes down to the fact that New Englanders are hypcrites at a level not found anywhere else in the country. For all the griping on this board about "chicken littles", for, example, this board is able to talk about Felger/Mazz with complete knowledge, meaning they listen to the most negative hosts on Boston sports radio, while leaving a much more positive show that has more 'expert' guests. When you combine that with people not wanting to change the dial, you get 98.5 winning the ratings race.

Because, let's be honest, even with the changes, Zo & Gresh is still the only daytime slot that has better hosts/guests on 98.5 than on WEEI. This is a classic example of people choosing the lesser quality because it's negative-based programming.

Last edited:
Felger & Mazz is a show I love to listen too. Yes Mazz is a pain in the ass, yes they are very critical. They have their flaws but Felger is a pretty good host whatever you think of him. It's his job to get listeners riled up but more often than not I feel he is pretty agreeable.

I can not stand Mutt and Merloni, Mutt is just plain awful. I can't wait for them to be gone. I live in Maine and we are stuck with WEEI, no 98.5 up here so very few choices.

I agree that WEEI needs to make changes. "Mutt" needs to go, for example, and Callahan has become a caricature of himself.

I don't agree with your interpretation of the problem as laid out in your second paragraph. I think it comes down to the fact that New Englanders are hypcrites at a level not found anywhere else in the country. For all the griping on this board about "chicken littles", for, example, this board is able to talk about Felger/Mazz with complete knowledge, meaning they listen to the most negative hosts on Boston sports radio, while leaving a much more positive show that has more 'expert' guests. When you combine that with people not wanting to change the dial, you get 98.5 winning the ratings race.

Because, let's be honest, even with the changes, Zo & Gresh is still the only daytime slot that has better hosts/guests on 98.5 than on WEEI. This is a classic example of people choosing the lesser quality because it's negative-based programming.

Hmm. I guess I don't agree with your assessment, Deus. I switched to 98.5 because I couldn't stand the cacophony that was the Big Show any more, could never stand D&C because they talk irate politics instead of sports, couldn't stand "Planet Mikey" after the big show and although I liked Dale & Holley, I didn't get to listen much as I am not in the car during the time they are on for the most part. Also, WEEI was only AM, and I got a lot of static on their signal in southern NH, particularly after 6:00 p.m. for some reason.

When it started 98.5 was refreshing because they talked football almost all the time, and when they didn't, it was usually the Bruins, whom I also like. Now they are mostly like WEEI used to be, constantly focusing on the least little thing with the Red Sox (yawn), albeit absent the circus atmosphere of the Big Show. Once WEEI went to FM, I started switching back and forth and will generally start on 98.5, and if they are discussing something I have no interest in, I try WEEI (unless it's the morning. I never listen to D&C). As often as not, they are also not discussing something I am interested in (or they have DeOssie or Ron Borges on and I turn them off out of principal), and I switch to music.

I find both Gresh and Zo, and Felger & Mazz entertaining. I also liked the DA show. Too bad he is gone (to way late at night). Gresh is my least-liked personality of the 4, followed closely by Mazz. I don't think Felger & Mazz are the most negative, because they actually laugh at themselves most of the time. I don't like Michael Holley with Glen Ordway. It sounds like a forced marriage where they are just staying together for the sake of the kids.
Bottom line for me is I go for the lesser of two evils, but no station is the clear winner for me anymore. Holley & Felger would be an interesting pairing that I would like to hear. I don't consider myself a negative NE fan.

Felger & Mazz is a show I love to listen too. Yes Mazz is a pain in the ass, yes they are very critical. They have their flaws but Felger is a pretty good host whatever you think of him. It's his job to get listeners riled up but more often than not I feel he is pretty agreeable.

Felger is a douchebag.

Last edited:
Was hoping to get some good insight in to Pats Texans, but all I am getting is bombasity and trash talk.. Gresch's hyperinflated ego defies common sense. Zo follows along..

Merloni and Munansky, sound contrived and reaching not knowing much about the overall subject.. they try, but suck.

Was a 98.5 fan, but it is talk radio is getting difficult everyone aspires to be a Jim Rome clone, "thanks for throwing me a vine Jim"..

Sports talk radio is painful, and sometimes I think I am in the wrong demographic, but glad to see that a lot of people find it to be very poor..

Find Toucher and Rich, more entertaining than the idiots on WEEI.. but they get on tangents they cannot get off, this week they spent a lot of time of Musberger's comments on the Auburn Beauty Queen..

Hmm. I guess I don't agree with your assessment, Deus. I switched to 98.5 because I couldn't stand the cacophony that was the Big Show any more, could never stand D&C because they talk irate politics instead of sports, couldn't stand "Planet Mikey" after the big show and although I liked Dale & Holley, I didn't get to listen much as I am not in the car during the time they are on for the most part. Also, WEEI was only AM, and I got a lot of static on their signal in southern NH, particularly after 6:00 p.m. for some reason.

Felger/Mazz is as loud and cacophonous as the Big Show used to be. They just do it a bit less often. They're also the worst host pair on either station, by a long, long way. It's garbage radio, and Felger's recent attempts to equate Manning's postseason career with Brady's (Largely by just completely ignoring 2001-2004 and saying "since then....") is just one example of it.

Last edited:

mazz is a football know nothing. he's currently dreaming about the equipment truck rolling up to yawkey way so he can discuss his passion. :cool:

Felger/Mazz is as loud and cacophonous as the Big Show used to be. They just do it a bit less often. They're also the worst host pair on either station, by a long, long way. It's garbage radio, and Felger's recent attempts to equate Manning's postseason career with Brady's (Largely by just completely ignoring 2001-2004 and saying "since then....") is just one example of it.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I must have missed the argument you state above. When I listened the other day they were calling Paul Perillo the Peyton Manning lover and pointing out how Manning has crapped out so many times in the post-season, particularly in the first round. They were not equating Brady with that, although at the end of the show the intern doctored what Felger had said about Manning and pretended it applied to Brady (whom he said he expects to play well and win on Sunday).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes