Welcome to PatsFans.com

House formally apologizes for slavery

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by KontradictioN, Jul 29, 2008.

1. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,366 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/29/house.slavery/index.html

Good gesture, but I guess there is nothing more important for the House to talk about. What is the point of even having a Congress anymore? I'm glad to see my tax dollars go to morbid old men who are too concerned with NOT discussing important world events in the present such as how to get out of Iraq, how to handle the situation in Afghanistan/Iran/North Korea, skyrocketing oil prices, and an impending recession.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -26

This is a feel good, attaboy movement.. it is nice and all that, but right now there are a few more pressing needs..
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

Correction...CURRENT recession:D
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -26

\Shhh!! Don't tell anyone..
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

It's about time, but it reminds of when the Catholic Church apologized for the Inquisition a number of years ago, maybe in the early '80s. It's kind of absurd that these apologies take so long to happen. Sometimes, when I watch Antique Road Show, I think of the advantage white people have because of valuable heirlooms that were passed down. It's rare for a black person to have things of value that are more than 100 years old. I'd be all for some constructive compensation for the crimes that our nation committed. But, I don't think that will happen ever.
  6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

No one alive was a slave. More stupidity from Congress - business as usual I guess. Next up - reparations to people who had no wrongs done to them. All you can do is shake your head.
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Of course you would - never mind that the slaves are all dead.
  8. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

This isn't important?...well, I guess that's ONE opinion. But there are many who feel it is important. Think about it...we have a black American who may very well be our next president and we still haven't acknowledged this wrong by apologizing.

It's not like they had to spend days discussing this. Why is that SOME people hate to hear about racism or discuss related topics?

Just to let everyone know racism is in fact alive and well in many areas of this country, I'll tell you about my weekend.

I spent last weekend in Atlanta with a very dear friend of mine who came here as a child from Liberia. Her mother came over by herself and then sent for my friend when she was 9 years old. As I sat in her mom's house on Sunday, I realized how well she had done. My friend's mother married another Liberian immigrant after coming here and together they built their lives. She became a nurse & her husband Alvin, a surgeon.

Well Alvin was telling me how he goes around the country to perform surgery at different hospitals. He told me of the time he went to Mississipee and was told he could not stay at the condo owned by the hospital because "it would start trouble". When he went into the hospital, he was treated like an orderly and finally, when he was introduced to his patient as her doctor, the woman said "He'll operate on me over my dead body"...so he let her die:D...actually, I'm kidding about that part. I wish he did!

He's gone to parts of South Carolina where blacks tell him "you don't wanna be doing that cuz the man will get upset". He had so many stories that made me want to go down to these areas with an AK and educate them.

So maybe now you'll understand that this resolustion IS important whether you want it to be or not.

BTW...Atlanta has the highest concentration of wealthy black Americans in the country. The neighborhood where my friend's mom was a new development with houses that would range from $750 - $1 million+ in Massachusetts. I was the only white person I was with from Friday to Sunday and it was awesome! I went to the Uptown Comedy Club in Atlanta and was one of 2 white guys out of 300 people in the audience. The comedians had a blast immitating us and saying things like "Oh my dear, I think it would be the prudent thing for us to leave".

Although Alvin's stories made me very upset, I also realized how far we have come. My friends parents want me to come back and stary at their house instead of a hotel. They said you can just drive one of our cars (2 mercedes). The problem is, I like staying at hotels when I visit people...it gives me a place of my own.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  9. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,366 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

[​IMG]
  10. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No impending was right... we haven't had three quarters of economic shrinkage, so we're not in a recession technically. I know you feel otherwise, but I'm obligated to say this.
  11. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,366 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

If there weren't more pressing matters going on in the U.S. and around the world, I would fully agree with you. That's why I said "nice gesture" at the beginning of the post. Nobody here is arguing that racism is wrong. It is. But there are a few more things going on in the mind of most Americans, and a 200 year old debate is not one of them. I mean, we're PAYING these men to discuss matters in the present (now) and not the past (1800's).
  12. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

My point is, it would be nice if we could formerly apologize BEFORE a black president steps into office. Maybe our congressmen have more foresight than you think.

This IS just as important as those issues and they probably spent very little time discussing it.

As far as the economy goes, we'd be better off if they didn't discuss anything. Our government should just let the recession run it's course and not interfere with BS fixes. We are SUPPOSED to have recessions as much as booms...have we forgotten that? It's not a big deal.
  13. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,366 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

Kind of like the way the government just let the recession fix itself in the 1930's?
  14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

First, anyone who says none of us were alive back when we whipped, beat, raped and killed slaves is a BS cop-out. I know you didn't say that BF, but I just wanted to get that out.

But many of us were alive when blacks still had to sit in the back of the bus and were treated as inferior. It's all part of the Jim Crow era that reached well into the 1960's.

I'm not a big fan of reparations either, but when you consider the money we waste in this country...I begin to wonder "why not?"
  15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

I understand...keep believing that even as unemployment explodes and inflation sky-rockets.

We WILL look back on this period as "RECESSIONARY" I guarantee you that. Every single major newspaper has called this a recession now, so try to catch up.;)
  16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

I can't believe you're supporting government bailouts Kontra. I thought you were more fiscally conservative than that.

You need to be an economists to understand how much "fixes" are hurting this nation's economy. I've tried to explain it, but no one seems to believe it. I suggest you do some Googling and research the affect government fixes are hurting the economy.

The 1930's can't be compared to present times. The banking system failed completely and that can't happen now.

Just know that every time the government bails out a corporation, it is very bad strategy. The money supply is the key to economic balance and right now it's at an all time high.

As I said, there is nothing wrong with recession, they are SUPPOSED to happen. I guess you forgot to comment on that.
  17. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,366 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

A normal recession is one thing. A recession so bad that the word "depression" starts to come into play is another thing altogether.

EDIT: how did this thread skew off into economics? Let's get back to the original point of WE PAY THESE MEN TO TALK ABOUT THINGS MORE IMPORTANT THAN SLAVERY WHICH HASN'T EXISTED FOR OVER A CENTURY. Whether or not you want to take economics out of it, you have to at least acknowledge that Iran's nuclear threat and diplomacy and the situation in Afghanistan is more important than talking for hours on end (they didn't just all get up and say in unison: let's apologize for slavery) about a practice that is long dead.
  18. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I'm not denying hard economic times or impending recession. Maybe the definition has changed, maybe it hasn't. I consider myself pretty well caught up, thank you very much, I know how many different media outlets use that word. I realize it's semantic, but until the definition changes, it's correct.

Just because a newspaper said it doesn't mean it's true, either. I understand your concern over the economy and the desire to fix it though.
  19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

Again, my point is...how much time was taken to discuss this resolution? Let's see a list of OTHER resolutions that were discussed and determine how important they are.

Congress is not going spend every minute of every day discussing Oil, the middle-east, the economy, etc., so what's the biggie?
  20. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I think Affirmative Action is a reparation