Welcome to PatsFans.com

House Democrats unveil health care reform plan

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

House Democrats unveil health care reform plan - CNN.com

House Democrats announced their version of health care reform Tuesday, offering a proposal that includes a government-funded health insurance option while requiring both individuals and employers to participate and taxing the wealthy to help cover costs.

Democratic House leaders said the measure, America's Affordable Health Choices Act, met President Obama's requirements for health care reform by lowering costs of consumers and businesses, allowing people to keep their current plans and preventing denial of coverage because of pre-existing medical conditions.

...Bloomberg.com reported that the bill includes a 5.4 percent surtax on couples earning more than $1 million, with a 1.5 percent surtax on couples with income between $500,000 and $1 million, and a 1 percent surtax on incomes over $350,000.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  2. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

more people are against health care reform than for it
  3. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Oh so if you don't participate, you get fined. And if you're a small business, either participate or 8% of your payroll is stolen from you by the Feds.

If this passes, unemployment will be going up, up, and up.
  4. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

this is easy for me........I will just lay off a couple of people to offset the cost

neat how they slip this in the end:

A CNN-Opinion Research Corp. survey released July 1 found that a slim majority -- 51 percent -- support Obama's health care plans, but most worry that their costs would go up, and only one in five thinks their families would be better off

and that's CNN
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +500 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Remind me again why the rich should have to pay for the health care of others. Why don't they buy them a house too ?
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Good.

Glad to see that we are taxing the overpaid in this country as well. They can easily gather all 1% of them and attempt to vote against the majority of americans who are on board for this.

How is it that people making UNDER $250,000 complain and b!tch FOR the person making over a million being taxed?

insane.....

This issue is the most important issue concerning the future of America. This is a step in the right direction. Most americans are FOR a public option.

where is the Republican plan? I'd love to look at that......
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Most people don't think of healthcare like a home. Its not an investment.
  8. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

I think his point is, while we are castrating Americans of their accountability we might as well ensure that all their needs are taken care of. By the wealthy of course, because we all know how few their contributions truly are.
  9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Assuming that a person who is rich makes contributions to society more than a person who is poor is absurd. Sure, there are some wealthy people who make contributions, but most of the great people throughout history have not been wealthy. They've been scholars, scientists, religious leaders, philosophers, and so on. The worship of wealth is considered a sin by many people, but apparently that's not the case for conservatives.
  10. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

No one made that assumption, but out of struggle comes achievement, a sense of worth, that cannot be defined by dollars and sense. Handing people gold medal only fills them up with medals. It does not create champions, more like everybody wins there are no losers. In reality no one wins because no one was willing to truly patricipate.
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

You know......its not crazy to help out your fellow americans with healthcare. Infact, its pretty darn Red-White-and-Blue to do so!

this is so sick to me that people are b!tching about americans who can't afford healthcare, or go bankrupt because they can't afford the payments that the healthcare they DID have will not pay.

Its sick that some complain about 1% of 1 MILLION DOLLARS.

I'd gladly trade my salarty and lower tax bracket for a Million/year with a higher percentage paid to assist in the medical care of my fellow americans.

Its not like the extra taxes are going to bomb families in other nations....its going to help americans who are sick get better.....

what the fukc are you people REALLY complaining about?
  12. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

Why don't you make it your goal to earn more money and pay that higher tax bracket, glady.... You are in fact privileged enough to live in a county where choice is not a problem. You have the opportunity to go create your own destiny. You and everyone who doesn't have health care, have that opportunity. What the hell is wrong with making something happen on your own, I'll answer it for you. Nothing is wrong with living in this land of opportunity. Go out and get it done, quite your fkcing whining and do something. That goes for all those disenfranchised huddled masses, get it done!
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +501 / 6 / -2

That's coming soon.
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I'm sure the 500,000 people per month who are losing their jobs should just go out there and get a job!

I never knew it was that simple.

I guess the 49 million uninsured people should just go get a job?

why didn't they think of that?

Then they'd all have insurance....

Maybe the 70% of bankrupt families, who are that way because of healthcare costs, should just pick themselves up and get a job!

?

I guess you really don't see the BIG picture, just the dumb-assed "pick yourself up after you get a swift kick in the *****$" mentality.....

maybe if we weren't exporting all our jobs to make corporate profits bigger by paying workers less, and exporting labor to nations that have univesal coverage.....maybe we could employ these people.

CEO of GM's total compensation for 2008 = $14Mil

Workers laid off.....thousands....

I sure hope G. R. Wagoner, Jr. lands on his feet! I'm really worried about how much he is taxed.
  15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

People making that much pay far more than 15, in point of fact they are paying (usually) very high roerty taxes, in NJ they are paying 7% sales tax, & 11% income tax if BO has his way they will be paying ~45% to the feds also. Why is government entitled to 60% of anyone's income?

BTW to answer another question you posed. Why do people making <100k worry about the taxes of those who make >250k?

Well some of us don't envy and hate other for what they have that we don't abd a lot of us would like to see our kids become rich someday and don't
    want the gov confiscating all their money.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +501 / 6 / -2

People should be very afraid in this country. The path we're taking, with the spending that's going on, combined with how much all this is really going to cost as time rolls on, is truly going to bankrupt this country. I'm really amazed, and quite honestly saddened, at the lack of common sense in this country. Between the prescription drug benefit, decades of unsustainable entitlement costs, the illegal invasion, two wars, the bailouts, this potential healthcare bill, and the eventual cap and trade system, we are headed down a road that leads to a cliff. I guess this is the only way we'll ever right the ship. To sink it first, and build a new one from scratch.
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +501 / 6 / -2

the beauty of logic here, is that the gubmit, or gubmits, are passing policies, or proposing taxes, that make growth more difficult. They are making it impossible to do business, and then expecting people to hire more, instead of fire. It's mind boggling when you stop to think about it.
  18. Mabeyitstrue

Mabeyitstrue Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This could all of been solved if these CEO's of big companys and small business owners would pay there workers more so they could afford to buy there own health care.Or when they make a profit lower the price of there drugs/food/drinks instead they look for ways to get even more money and look for cheaper work......low life, greedy, fake christians.

Quit buying your 500k-1million dollar houses, your boats your fancy cars and start paying your workers what there worth.

Name of the game is greed!

Guess what USA you win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

If being "rich" is so important to you, I feel sorry for you. If your grandkids being "rich" is important to you, I question your definition of wealth.

You can't take it with you, but according to Swayze in Ghost, you DO take the love. Why not spread that, instead of hoarding what you refer to as 'wealth'????

Kenneth Lay = rich

Kenneth Lay = burning in hell
  20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

MOST important in all of this....

I can't wait to read the Republican Plan!!!

They said we'd have estimates from teh CBO on the Dem Plan by Tuesday, lets pick this apart then.