Welcome to PatsFans.com

House Democrats defy Obama on tax cut bill

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

House Democrats defy Obama on tax cut bill – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Defying President Obama, House Democrats voted Thursday not to bring up the tax package that he negotiated with Republicans in its current form.

"This message today is very simple: That in the form that it was negotiated, it is not acceptable to the House Democratic caucus. It's as simple as that," said Democratic Congressman Chris Van Hollen.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

Interesting development, not sure why they would do this?? It is obvious that the deficit is not a concern, until 2012...

But then again not sure why congress does much of anything.. sounds like a hissy fit to this viewer. In the next 10 years just about 100% of congress will be voted out, both left and right.. as after election they all get "Beltway Disease"... characterized by self indulgent and self engrandizing behavior. Closely compared to that actions of pre school children, commonly referred to as a temper tantrum.

3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,371 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

this is actually nice to finally see.

A President who feels he was elected for certain reasons and the same for republicans and democrats. The democrats are fractured a bit and hopefully the same happens to the republicans.

This is how it is supposed to look ... issues decided by debate on the floor and debate in the media and the public. Issues settled on their merit and not by a powerful group of people who can control others. The best thing that has happened politically is a weakened Pelosi.

i am happy to see this ... I wonder if anyone else sees it this way also.

This is the core of my political beliefs ... issues debated and enacted on their merit ... what can be negotiated that is in the greater benefit of all.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm very disappointed in the House Dems today. Do I think that the rich pay too little today, certainly. But for now we have to focus on getting the nation firmly out of the recession and any sort of increase in taxes, really, any reduction in income level for anyone is a bad thing right now. I see the recession as a war and nobody questioned costs or deficits in WW2. They took care of business first, and then set about dealing with the costs second.

I think there have to be changes to unemployment compensation and to the tax level of the rich, but we can't do that stuff until this economic gun is no longer pointed at our heads.

5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +450 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Excellent post sdaniels!...and I'm dead serious!:rocker:

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +820 / 2 / -9

They have their "Poster Boy" now they have to live with him, I wish them well.

:bricks:

7. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +108 / 15 / -9

This is by far my favorite Sdaniels7114 post of all time.

I am afraid all of the Bush tax cuts are going to expire and we are all
    in for a major tax increase.

I doubt my 2011 merit increase at work will be enough to cover the huge
    health insurance increase of 2011.

I am not happy with the Left or the Right and it looks like Obama is
    the only one who is making tax cuts a priority.

I don't understand why Obama did not address this issue when he had
    the votes to extend the cuts for everyone except the 250k+ club (Pre - Scott Brown).

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +664 / 7 / -2

What a bunch of buffoons in DC. I'm actually indifferent here. If the taxes not passing means that the deadbeats who've been collecting for 2 fricking years don't get extended by a single day, that's almost fine by me. Plus, the more pissed working folks are, the more they tend to pay attention. There's no better way to get people's attention, than by picking their pocket, and stealing more of their hard earned money. My wife and I will be paying something like $4,000 more in taxes if the bill doesn't pass. Add that to our property taxes that are increasing when the new fiscal year starts, and the bigger pig we have to pay with our HC premiums (LOL, Romneycare will drop the costs...LOL), and we'll likely be out about $8,000 at least. NICE! Meanwhile all the deadbeats get their free Mass Health, food stamps, apartments, etc. God bless America! :rolleyes:

Imagine being 25, and you just got laid off. Wow, you could party for 2-3 years PAID! Man was I born 10 years too early. :mad:

9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +450 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

ANy tax increase upon the middle class is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE! To me, it would reason enough for citizens to revolt in any manner they/we choose.

Obama and our reps know this, which is why I highly doubt it will happen.

10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

I promised myself I wasn't going to get involved with this one. Really, I did.

But come on, RW. Do you really think that everyone who's out of work is out partying? Don't you read the papers? Don't you see the stories of men and women who've been out of work for a year or more and are desperate?

I have a 27 year old son who was out of work for the last two years. Believe me, it's not because he's not looking. He lost his apt., his car and his self-confidence. He had to relocate 500 miles from home and move in with us for a year. Hardly "partying," I don't think.

What about the 25 year olds with a kid or two? Think they're out partying, too? Or is it more likely that they're desperately trying to buy formula, keep a roof over their head and take their kid to the pediatrician once in awhile?

Yes, there are deadbeats. There are deadbeats in the workplace, too. Do we fire everyone who works with them in order to make sure the deadbeat is punished sufficiently?

If you want to find a way to weed out those who are "partying" on $250.00 a week or so, fine, figure out how to do it and do it....but don't demand that everyone be punished because a few might deserve it.

11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Back in 2002 I was out of work for about 2 months. Worst time of my life, the last thing I was thinking about was "partying".

Scraping up coins for wonder bread and cheese .... now thats a PARTY!

12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +664 / 7 / -2

Save the Children!

Do I think everyone out there is partying? Of course not. Do I think that collecting for 99 weeks, and now 13 MONTHS more is outrageous, you betch'ya. This is ridiculous. When times are lean, you have to adjust accordingly. You cut back where you can, you work harder to keep your job, or if you lose your job, you take whatever work it is you can find. What's going on with a lot of people now, is they're preferring to stay home for 60-70% of their old pay if they can't get the job they want. We're paying out welfare right now, not unemployment insurance. If getting back to work means you gotta work two jobs, or flip burgers at BK, so be it. Not anymore though. Now people feel entitled. People are coddled. The "I'm not doing that" attitude is alive and well. Why would you go take some menial job, or work two jobs, when you can stay home and collect for 3 years? Why go to work?

13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +450 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

I was out of work for 11 months in 2003. I was able to collect unemployment for 39 weeks and then it ran out.

Bottom-line...it HAS to run out for people at some point. The rest of us can't afford to support the unemployed for 3 years. That's just plain bad business. And no matter who's son is "honestly looking"...there has been a lot proof showing that people on unemployment actually take time off from even looking for work (which should never be allowed). I recently read where the average length of unemployment actually coincided with the length of unemployment benefits.

14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

Interesting...how much time did you "take off," PR?

15. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +794 / 6 / -9

Ah yes. The old "unemployed are unemployed because they're lazy and prefer to live luxuriously on the government dole" canard. Never gets old.

16. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +308 / 9 / -12

Let the congress go home have the next congress deal with the tax issue in the next session. Just make the tax cuts retroactive. Let Barry veto them if he chooses.

A person who I work with got herself fired so she could go on unemployment for 2 years and spend more time with her kids.

17. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +794 / 6 / -9

Well, gee! A single anecdote of someone abusing the system! Color me convinced!

They're not going to push it on to the next session of Congress. Best to get something done before the teatards come to Washington.

I wonder how long it will be before the Tea Party realizes the Republicans took them for fools.

18. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

So now you disapprove of him because he wasn't librul enough and instead is compromising?

:bricks:

19. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]

20. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +231 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

Harry goes with what ever it takes...High Harry. :scared: