PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

House cleaning coming at end of season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet, but I think Maroney is gone next year. Not because of any issues off the field, but because I don't think he is that effective on the field. He is also a free agent. Belichick usually overhauls one position in the off-season and I think the running back position is next. With the exception of Faulk, I don't see Taylor, Morris, or Maroney back next year. We will probably get a RB with one of the seond round picks, and also sign a couple of free agents.

I disagree that Maroney will be gone. He's showing that he has toughness and can run "mean" ala Marion Barber, and potentially has great value as a returner, receiver out of the backfield, and change of pace RB. Most importantly, he's been a loyal soldier and hard worker throughout his time here--things that now must be at an absolute premium with BB.

I agree that Morris and maybe Taylor are gone, and tha the Pats definitely will be targeting a stud RB in the draft, preferably a bruiser/clock-killing type.

I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet, but I think Maroney is gone next year. Not because of any issues off the field, but because I don't think he is that effective on the field. He is also a free agent. Belichick usually overhauls one position in the off-season and I think the running back position is next. With the exception of Faulk, I don't see Taylor, Morris, or Maroney back next year. We will probably get a RB with one of the seond round picks, and also sign a couple of free agents.

Maroney's signed through 2010, for reasonable money, and he's been productive. He's been one of the bright spots this season.

Maroney's signed through 2010, for reasonable money, and he's been productive. He's been one of the bright spots this season.

Wasn't sure whether Maroney's contract was up this year or next, so yes, this one's a no-brainer (as long as he doesn't catch the AD disease.)

He'd be even better if the Pats made more of a commitment in running the football.

The only speed bump I see in "cleaning house" is whether next year's FA is capped or uncapped. If it's capped, you will see more quality FA's hits the market. If it's uncapped, it doesn't matter how much money the Pats have because most of the quality FA's will be restricted.

The Pats needs are as follows:

Offense:
- Younger option at RB to compliment Maroney
- 3rd option at WR (Lance Moore would be a fine addition). Edelman should be 4th.
- Re-sign Watson Or Owen Daniels, Bo Scaife if a new CBA is in place
- Koppen needs to be replaced as well as Neal and Kaczur

Defense:
- First, BB needs to make up his mind to whether this team is a 3-4 or a 4-3.
- Jarvis Green needs to be replaced
- I'd love for the Pats to sign Peppers but I'm afraid he'll catch the Adalius Thomas disease.
- Re-sign Wilfork or go after Casey Hampton or Aubrayo Franklin
- If a new CBA is in place, there will be a ton of LB's to go after such as DeMeco Ryans, Thomas Howard, Kirk Morrison, Karlos Dansby Shawne Merriman and Elvis Dumervil.
- Maybe Chicago's Mark Anderson can make the switch to OLB?
- There aren't any CB's worth going after so I'd expect the Pats to draft a couple in 2010.

Last edited:
Veteran minimun is over 1 million. so we can sign a veteran and save a few hundred thousand or get a UDFA for cheap .But can he lead the team in spl team tackles and be good .
or can saving ) 0.5% of the cap is worth carring a weaker spl team.

That's funny everything I read says different, Vet minimum is by YOS, and he was signed in 2006 as a ROOKIE UDFA.
10+ year vets are only 845K

Info from Miguels page, I have verified this elsewhere as well.

http://www.patscap.com/

"NFL Minimum Salary Levels for the 2009 season
Rookie - $310,000
1 Credited Season - $385,000
2 Credited Seasons - $460,000
3 Credited Seasons - $535,000 -----> I imagine this one(in 4th)
4 to 6 Credited Seasons - $620,000 *
7 to 9 Credited Seasons - $745,000 *
10+ Credited Seasons - $845,000 *

*All salaries for players with four or more years of experience AND who sign contracts that qualify for veteran's exemption will only count $460,000 (the minimum salary of a player with two credited seasons) against teams' salary caps. "

Last edited:
With the latest turmoil, who all (starters) do you see getting cut or traded at the end of the season. I'm throwing out:
Moss
Thomas
Springs

Thomas and Springs for sure. Moss being cut is the ravings of a lunatic that I know you are surely not. Try again.

The House cleaning should start with Maroney then AD Then we need to add some REAL Pass rushers Losing seymour and Vrabel was Not good Good even though seymour Was hurt quit Often his Leadership was there.

Last edited:

Bright Spot?2 Games come on this guy is aBUM Period If it wasnt fro Fred taylor geting hurt Laurnece would be riding the Pine Give ben jarvis achance now.

With the latest turmoil, who all (starters) do you see getting cut or traded at the end of the season. I'm throwing out:
Moss
Thomas
Springs

That is cool and all, I mean we all like to talk tough meanwhile another year or two in Brady's prime are wasted. Nose, face, cut off.... despite.

So you want to throw out the leading WR in the NFL?

... that's pretty stupid.

This question has probably been answered multiple times, but how do you cut Thomas and not have 7 million in dead cap space? For that you may as well keep him.

I think that there is a very different set of decisions when a player is a UFA compared to a player under contract.

SPRINGS
For example, Springs has been injured and is under contract through the 2011 season. He was brought in knowing that he had injury issues (as was McGowan). There is absolutely no reason to cut him before camp, especially if there no cap. Why would you? Springs was brought in to start if necessary and otherwise to be a role player if our developing stars needed help or were injured. Do you know that a healthy Spring is NOT better than Wheatley? What if Bodden isn't re-signed? What if the new free agent or two doesn't work out. Are you ready to count on Wilhite, Butler and Wheatley and not even see if Springs is capable of being a backup (at no cost). This makes no sense to me.

BURGESS
I think that you might as well cut him unless we get a new DC. We know exactly what a healthy Burgess can do in this scheme.

THOMAS
He is gone because he doesn't salute properly. That's probably what got Seymour traded also. Thomas has told the truth as he sees it. When playing for the 2009 (or the 2008) this is close to treason. I wish AD good look except when his team plays ours, as I do to Seymour. I do get it. Someone has to take the blame for the "poor" performance of the patriots. A few days ago, over 60% of us thought it was the coaches. It is much easier for the fault to Burgess and AD. After all, without them we'd be 11-1.

NEAL, GREEN, FAULK
As is always the case, they will find out what the patriots think that they are worth, and will accept our offer or someone elses. Every decision is a business decision. These are nothing special.

WOODS
Woods is a role player and a top special teamer. I think the question is simply how high a tender we'll offer him, whether or not we extend him. I expect him to be extended, but he could decide that the patriot offer is not sufficient and that it would be better to wait a year.

SANDERS
I see absolutely no reason to cut Sanders before camp. But I could see it happening.

MOSS
The discussion of Moss simply shows how little some posters care about winning. Proferssional football is not kindergarten, it really isn't. We've had many veterans who attended practice intermiitantly and many who didn't particiapte in much of the offseason camps. Belichick does indeed give awards for practicing well. However, that is not a reason to get rid of one of our top players.

MY BOTTOM LINE
$2M -$2.5M role players should not be cut. They are valuable and reasonable value. Posters can choose to believe that Belichick can find rookies to take those roles. After all the posters would have no trouble doing so! This team has always been about using role players like Morris, Edelman, Aiken, LeVoir, Green, Woods, Guyton, Ninkovich, Alexander and the others. I'm fine with upgrading players, but not in cutting such players if they are under contract until their replacement had been shown to be a better option for a roster spot, as was the case when Lewis was cut to make room for Edelman and Galloway to make room for Tate.

There will be many openings to replace those who are fired (AD) or who are UFA's who sign elsewhere. And there will be many opportunities to beat out those with contracts in camp.

Adalius Thomas, Derrick Burgess, Jarvis Green and Shawn Springs are as good as gone, IMHO. Underproducers, and worse in some cases.

Stephen Neal, Kevin Faulk, Pierre Woods and James Sanders are business decisions. All have value, but none are contributing to the value of their contracts (except Faulk, who will be 34).

I don't see us letting Moss go this offseason, unless something changes. He was voted a team captain this season, and he's had some good moments. He's still on of the best WRs in the game. I think he'll be given a chance to get with the program. If he doesn't, he won't be back after 2010.

Moss for sure. He's a shadow of his former self and it's not like he was injured or anything. Those reports of him gimping around the locker room was probably just old age creeping on him.

I mean Moss is slacker with a measly 1058 yds (2nd in the league because Holmes played last night) and he only has 9 TDs!!!

What a bum

hahahahahaha

When there is no cap, cap space doesn't matter much.

This question has probably been answered multiple times, but how do you cut Thomas and not have 7 million in dead cap space? For that you may as well keep him.

Moss
Thomas
Springs

FU. Really I mean it. Am so freaking ready for a moss season ending injury. The amount of disrespect is getting Ridiculous. Let's have the Great welker as #1 and see how that works out. Freaking imbeciles. I hope the patriots do cut moss. He wont be unemployed for long. Even ur potbelly dumbass can agree with that. Ungrateful bastard

Ok. Who do you put the franchise-tag on?

IMO:

- Strengthen the Defesive-Line to be 'elite' again.
- Hire a REAL defensive-coordinator.

- 2011 need to pick Brady's successor.

I think that there is a very different set of decisions when a player is a UFA compared to a player under contract.

SPRINGS
There is absolutely no reason to cut him before camp, especially if there no cap.

If 2010 is uncapped, agreed.

BURGESS
I think that you might as well cut him unless we get a new DC. We know exactly what a healthy Burgess can do in this scheme.

He's a UFA anyways.

THOMAS
He is gone because he doesn't salute properly. That's probably what got Seymour traded also. Thomas has told the truth as he sees it. When playing for the 2009 (or the 2008) this is close to treason. I wish AD good look except when his team plays ours, as I do to Seymour. I do get it. Someone has to take the blame for the "poor" performance of the patriots. A few days ago, over 60% of us thought it was the coaches. It is much easier for the fault to Burgess and AD. After all, without them we'd be 11-1.

Lack of production + previous warning shots (his benching for the TEN game) + apparent lack of concern = angry fans.

It seems to me that Thomas is only concerned about Thomas, not this team. If that is the case then, yes, he is gone at season's end.

NEAL, GREEN, FAULK
As is always the case, they will find out what the patriots think that they are worth, and will accept our offer or someone elses. Every decision is a business decision. These are nothing special.

True, although I suspect Faulk in particular will be worth more to this team than most people suspect, even at his age.

WOODS
Woods is a role player and a top special teamer. I think the question is simply how high a tender we'll offer him, whether or not we extend him. I expect him to be extended, but he could decide that the patriot offer is not sufficient and that it would be better to wait a year.

True. If Belichick felt that "that play" from "that game" was truly axe-worthy, Woods wouldn't still be here two years later.

SANDERS
I see absolutely no reason to cut Sanders before camp. But I could see it happening.

I could see him getting traded if, as he claims, other teams were making him offers in free agency. If that was BS, though. . . .

MOSS
The discussion of Moss simply shows how little some posters care about winning. Proferssional football is not kindergarten, it really isn't. We've had many veterans who attended practice intermiitantly and many who didn't particiapte in much of the offseason camps. Belichick does indeed give awards for practicing well. However, that is not a reason to get rid of one of our top players.

Amen. Is Moss completely without issues? No. But is he still producing? Yes.

MY BOTTOM LINE
$2M -$2.5M role players should not be cut. They are valuable and reasonable value. Posters can choose to believe that Belichick can find rookies to take those roles. After all the posters would have no trouble doing so! This team has always been about using role players like Morris, Edelman, Aiken, LeVoir, Green, Woods, Guyton, Ninkovich, Alexander and the others. I'm fine with upgrading players, but not in cutting such players if they are under contract until their replacement had been shown to be a better option for a roster spot, as was the case when Lewis was cut to make room for Edelman and Galloway to make room for Tate.

I suppose that's true in the literal sense, but they could have cut Galloway for an empty roster spot and hardly hurt the team.

There will be many openings to replace those who are fired (AD) or who are UFA's who sign elsewhere. And there will be many opportunities to beat out those with contracts in camp.

In "crisis" comes opportunity.

Last edited:
not to mention the fines from the loss of a draft choice for going over the 2009 cap.

FU. Really I mean it. Am so freaking ready for a moss season ending injury. The amount of disrespect is getting Ridiculous. Let's have the Great welker as #1 and see how that works out. Freaking imbeciles. I hope the patriots do cut moss. He wont be unemployed for long. Even ur potbelly dumbass can agree with that. Ungrateful bastard

OK geniuses. I guess I should clarify for those who can't understand a question. I wasn't saying that I would get rid of Moss, Thomas, and Springs. I was "throwing" out those names for discussions. Now next time you respond to me, use some manners. Kiss your Mama with that mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back