Welcome to PatsFans.com

Hospital Stripped of "Catholic" Status

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

In late 2009 a young mother in her 20s and 11 weeks pregnant entered a Catholic hospital suffering from severe pulmonary hypertension. In spite of all their best efforts doctors knew they could not save both mother and fetus and the decision was made by a team of doctors and approved by the hospital's Ethics Committee which included Sister Margaret McBride. The woman's death was declared nearly 100% imminent unless the pregnancy was terminated.

Traditional Catholic law does allow for termination of pregnancy when a mother's life is in severe danger.

Based on the above information, the decision was made to terminate and the mother made a full recovery.

However - the Archbishop of Arizona has since excommunicated Sister Margaret and removed the hospital from the rolls of hospitals which can call themselves "Catholic."

Phoenix diocese strips St. Joseph's Hospital of Catholic status

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

Mondo Bizarro... and in breaking news the standard of all right and wrong announced today..

Perhaps they should get their own moral house in order first?? What a novel concept.

The Associated Press: Vatican tried to keep Irish child rapist as priest

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 5 / -10

Disgusting:
    Does this Bastard Archbishop realize that there are millions and millions of Catholics all over the world that won't allow their children to go to church alone for fear of some scumsucking demented Priest F-cking their child in the coat room.
    This Archbishop is probably one of the Sodomizers himself.

Stay Away From Organized Religion If You Believe In Your God Quietly Go Out Into Your Garage Close Your Eyes And Speak To Your God Your Little Boys Will Be Safe And You Will Save A Ton Of Money, Stay Out Of Those F-cking Churches.

Gold Digging Church Over There>>>>>>>>:bricks:

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

The catholic church doesn't believe in baby killing under any circumstances. To them, it is God's will that determines the outcome in these cases. While I don't agree, it's their church, and therefore their rules. I think the sister, based on the info in your post, acted appropriately. However, the church has it's own position, and acted according to it.

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Yeah, I know....it just doesn't make sense to me. The inevitable outcome would have been the death of both mother and fetus - it wasn't like there was going to be a good outcome or even a fair one. The fetus was condemned to death regardless - the only good that could possible come from the whole thing was the life of the mother being saved - which they did.

If the fetus had a chance I could have understood - but it did not. A fetus is not viable at 11 weeks and the mother was in immediate danger of dying - there was no way they could have sustained her life long enough for the fetus to have a chance of survival outside of the womb.

I doubt it was a decision which was arrived at lightly - or even stupidly. These were professionals - catholic profesionals - who arrived at this conclusion. When your choices are thus, 1 death or 2 deaths, it seems like a no-brainer. Hospital ERs, military medical professionals and paramedics make those kind of choices all too often. It's called triage, and they don't get excommunicated for having chosen to save the more viable over the less viable.

Maybe I should shut up, in that case, before someone gets the bright idea that triage in a disaster situation is a bad idea, too, and just leaves everyone to die.

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

In the church's eyes, you don't kill a baby under any circumstances, regardless if you are attempting to save the mother. While I don't agree with that personally, that's what they believe. To them, it's God who determines the child's fate, and anyone who goes against God's will, suffers the consequences (kinda anyway). It's hard core religion. Trying to apply Real World logic to issues of faith is sometimes going to leave us scratching our heads. The bottom line is that the church has a very rigid rule with respect to situations like these, and any deviation from that rule, is unacceptable no matter how sensible it is to the rest of us.

7. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My personal belief is that you preserve the lives that you can. So I don't agree with the Catholic Church in this one.

8. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

The Catholic church just ok'd condoms in some situations. Maybe in the next century they will be ok with saving a mother in a hopeless situation.

9. Triple-T

Triple-T Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Or better yet, they won't be around at all.

10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,014 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Unfortunately archbishops are the churches version of the mafia's cleaners.

11. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The Catholic Church obviously opposes abortion because it stymies the production of young boys. From their perspective, a reasonable proposition.

12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

All of the many, many Catholic hospitals in and around Boston are in the process of becoming non-affiliated as I understand it; but its a process and its far from complete. That being said, I can say that I just went through a very difficult time with a family member at St Elizabeth's hospital in Brighton and there was a Priest who made himself available for last rites and other spiritual aspects of that situation, but neither he nor anyone from the church made any effort at even suggesting, let alone encouraging or requiring strict Catholic doctrine at all. That awful decision was made by my family in consultation with the doctors and while the Priest was always around, he never made any effort at all at pushing the Church's will.

I'm really not a fan of the church at all, but in this case their 'guy' did a fine job at helping my family as best he could.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  13. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Interesting follow up, I guess the mother's life wasn't in immediate danger, so stripping the hospital was warranted in line with my thinking...

Statements arizonacatholic.org

14. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Normally it would be enough to take a church's word that it is stating the facts as gospel.

15. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm not a Catholic and I was curious because the thread, at the start, made it seem like the child HAD to be aborted to save the mother.

16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 5 / -10

I thought the same thing.