PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Horton: how to beat the pats (espn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't we play a good portion of the game with only two D-Lineman on the field at any given time?

Didn't we play a good portion of the game with only two D-Lineman on the field at any given time?

One, Green.

But don't let such analysis cloud your vision.

The pats can and will be throttled in between the tackles. Horton said it, I believe it, that settles it.

One, Green.

But don't let such analysis cloud your vision.

The pats can and will be throttled in between the tackles. Horton said it, I believe it, that settles it.

ohh, well then i sincerely apologize...

i will now go to punish myself for my disregard of Horton's greatness

pressuring Brady is the best shot teams have - but that leaves teams vulnerable elsewhere, and Brady's exploited that incredibly well.

This seems to be accepted wisdom, but why? Usually you say "rattle him, blitz the heck out of him" with young, inexperienced QBs. Brady handles pressure well and finds the holes left behind as well as anyone. I might be more inclined to give extra help to the poor souls covering the WRs, especially with the RB corps so beat up.

Horton is a traditional Pats-basher (kind of muted this year). Also not the brightest bulb on the tree. Here is what he says:

1. Blitz and play tight man-to-man schemes behind it

Live fast and die hard. How many teams have the DBs and LBs to cover Moss, Welker, Stallworth and Watson in press? None. 5 blitz, 4 press cover, 2 deep. That doesn't guarantee to bring a free blitzer (5 on 5 or even 5 on 6 if the RB/TE stay in to block) and doesn't even account for the RB (draw or screen).

Man schemes are fine, but the downside is it pretty much tells Brady exactly where the defenders are going to be. Combo zone/man schemes with occasional DB blitzes give you the best chance of defending Brady...but they are hard to pull off.

2. Run right at the Pats' linebackers

Don't even understand this one. Pats have 4 LBs spread across the field whose primary job is to stuff the run. How could you NOT run at them? If the Pats D is executing well, you can run on them by engaging the DL, kicking out the OLB and cut back with a FB or pulling guard clearing the ILB. Once again, this is really hard to do. The DL is a handful by itself without having to use 2 blockers to clear out the LBs.

Assuming you don't have a top-flight OL and FB, best way to run on the Pats is not to run at all. Screens and dump passes get your RB out in space where speed and quickness are a bigger asset. Then in the 2nd half you should be able to pop a couple of draw plays while the LBs are on their heels a bit.

3. Be creative in the red zone offense

Hard to argue with that. The underlying observation was that the Pats have trouble keeping teams out of the end zone once they get inside the 20. While true, I think this particular statistic is being overplayed a bit. The small sample size and overall game situations have to be factored into the number. Who (besides our pal Wade) wants to kick a FG against this team?

What I am impressed with is the number of non-red zone touchdowns the Pats have allowed: one. I think it was the Braylon Edwards catch-n-roll. This means that while the Pats are scoring from all over the field, you are faced with the grim task of driving the field and punching it in every time. Given the fact that teams only reach the red zone against the Pats an average of twice a game, watcha gonna do?

4. Play a 34 defense

Is that all? Gee, thanks mister! Where do I place my order for a giant nose tackle, 2 huge ends, 2 outside guys that can rush the QB and seal off the run, 2 inside guys that can take on guards and cover TEs and RBs and enough depth to make it all work over a 16 game season?

Putz. Playing a 3-4 doesn't guarantee success. Just ask the Jets. Converting to the 3-4 and playing it well enough to challenge an offense like the Pats is a multi-year (and probably multi-coach) task. Have fun with that.

5. Control the clock

Finally some insight. You can't win a shootout with the Pats. You don't have their offense and your defense will break from the strain you put on them. Dallas? Are you listening?

Run the ball. Throw a screen. Run some more. Rinse and repeat. Not saying you will win, but your defense will likely be alive in the 2nd half to give you a chance if you can stay close.

6. Survive the early New England onslaught

Back to the inane babblings. So you are telling me that if you are utterly destroyed and demoralized in the 1st quarter, your chances of winning decrease? Wow, I don't have the words to respond to that.

You don't survive the onslaught, you have to prevent it. Come to the game with a gameplan and players prepared to execute it. You can't slowly get a feel for the game and then make adjustments...it will be too late. Study. Prepare. Execute. Hope. Pray. In that order.

Last edited:
Well crap, it's over then, we done been figured out.

Can the Pats still make the playoffs at 6-10??? :rolleyes:

Horton is a traditional Pats-basher (kind of muted this year). Also not the brightest bulb on the tree. Here is what he says:

Study. Prepare. Execute. Hope. Pray. In that order.

Excellent post, well said with just the right amount of vitriol. I do have just one correction: they should be praying right off the bat.

Last edited:
Horton points several times to San Deigo's defense as an example to follow how to beat the Pats. He argues that San Deigo successfully pressured Brady to get him off his game a bit. I think he is nuts.

Brady completed 25 of 31 passes for 276 yards and 3 TDs. Yes, he got one of his two INTs in that game but it was during a two minute drill at the half where Brady was being a little more wreckless. In fact, he had two incompletions on that same drive so he had 3 incompletions for the rest of the game. Yeah, Brady was sacked twice too in that game.

Well said. As I read this I wondered if he was talking about the playoff game last year. Brady torched SD this year, and he uses themj as an example of a team effectively pressuring Brady..

ohh, well then i sincerely apologize...

i will now go to punish myself for my disregard of Horton's greatness

your swiftness has given the great pumkin head pause. He is thinking that maybe you should only have to bring him some doughnuts rather than being excommunicated.

So, you got that going for you, which is nice.

This seems to be accepted wisdom, but why? Usually you say "rattle him, blitz the heck out of him" with young, inexperienced QBs. Brady handles pressure well and finds the holes left behind as well as anyone. I might be more inclined to give extra help to the poor souls covering the WRs, especially with the RB corps so beat up.

The question is almost bogus. I mean, how do you catch a moon beam in your hand?

Seriously, the way to stop the pats right now is to not let them get Randy Moss for a bag of popcorn and free upgrade coupon at jiffy lube. Maybe the Welker, and AD aquisitions could have been thwarted also.

This team is build for speed. It makes sense for guys like horton to prognosticate of course. But, we as fans get to snicker at the conundrum. It was built that way.

The opposition simply has to make a bunch of plays in a row. (I know that this is soo stupid to say. But the power that the pats have brought to bear, has made the oppositions room for error nearly invisible it is so small. Simply saying these old bromides "Ya gotta blitz em! (snort, spit, rub groin)" or, "Get tough with em, they hate that!" "Run on em and don't stray from the course!"

Yea, and the pats certainly won't be able to see through that logic. Like, BB has never studied the old school running teams.

The pats held Ltd to what?

To me, one way to stop them is to get them in the indy dome, and fast break them to death. Keep them off balance, use a guy like adai to rip at their underbelly, and hope and pray that at the end of 60, you walk off with everyone screeming "how did you do it???" Payton can do it because he can make a bunch of plays, one right after another.

What a blast it is going to be.

The pats are really cool.

I hope they keep on rolling. I so much hope that.

1. Blitz and play tight man-to-man schemes behind it

Live fast and die hard. How many teams have the DBs and LBs to cover Moss, Welker, Stallworth and Watson in press? None. 5 blitz, 4 press cover, 2 deep. That doesn't guarantee to bring a free blitzer (5 on 5 or even 5 on 6 if the RB/TE stay in to block) and doesn't even account for the RB (draw or screen).

Man schemes are fine, but the downside is it pretty much tells Brady exactly where the defenders are going to be. Combo zone/man schemes with occasional DB blitzes give you the best chance of defending Brady...but they are hard to pull off.

2. Run right at the Pats' linebackers

Don't even understand this one. Pats have 4 LBs spread across the field whose primary job is to stuff the run. How could you NOT run at them? If the Pats D is executing well, you can run on them by engaging the DL, kicking out the OLB and cut back with a FB or pulling guard clearing the ILB. Once again, this is really hard to do. The DL is a handful by itself without having to use 2 blockers to clear out the LBs.

Assuming you don't have a top-flight OL and FB, best way to run on the Pats is not to run at all. Screens and dump passes get your RB out in space where speed and quickness are a bigger asset. Then in the 2nd half you should be able to pop a couple of draw plays while the LBs are on their heels a bit.

3. Be creative in the red zone offense

Hard to argue with that. The underlying observation was that the Pats have trouble keeping teams out of the end zone once they get inside the 20. While true, I think this particular statistic is being overplayed a bit. The small sample size and overall game situations have to be factored into the number. Who (besides our pal Wade) wants to kick a FG against this team?

What I am impressed with is the number of non-red zone touchdowns the Pats have allowed: one. I think it was the Braylon Edwards catch-n-roll. This means that while the Pats are scoring from all over the field, you are faced with the grim task of driving the field and punching it in every time. Given the fact that teams only reach the red zone against the Pats an average of twice a game, watcha gonna do?

4. Play a 34 defense

Is that all? Gee, thanks mister! Where do I place my order for a giant nose tackle, 2 huge ends, 2 outside guys that can rush the QB and seal off the run, 2 inside guys that can take on guards and cover TEs and RBs and enough depth to make it all work over a 16 game season?

Putz. Playing a 3-4 doesn't guarantee success. Just ask the Jets. Converting to the 3-4 and playing it well enough to challenge an offense like the Pats is a multi-year (and probably multi-coach) task. Have fun with that.

5. Control the clock

Finally some insight. You can't win a shootout with the Pats. You don't have their offense and your defense will break from the strain you put on them. Dallas? Are you listening?

Run the ball. Throw a screen. Run some more. Rinse and repeat. Not saying you will win, but your defense will likely be alive in the 2nd half to give you a chance if you can stay close.

6. Survive the early New England onslaught

Back to the inane babblings. So you are telling me that if you are utterly destroyed and demoralized in the 1st quarter, your chances of winning decrease? Wow, I don't have the words to respond to that.

You don't survive the onslaught, you have to prevent it. Come to the game with a gameplan and players prepared to execute it. You can't slowly get a feel for the game and then make adjustments...it will be too late. Study. Prepare. Execute. Hope. Pray. In that order.

Great post. And, you might want to start this preperation like a few years ahead of time.

I think pressure on Brady and tight coverage could work. To rattle Tom, you may need to rush as many as 6 or 7. You will also want to double cover at least Moss, Stallworth, Welker and Watson so you might need another 7 or 8 in coverage, so that's 13-15 players on the field. Of course, more would probably work better.

To take on the NE defense, I would think about pharmaceuticals and automatic weapons.

I know how to beat the Patriots!

Score more points than them.

I think pressure on Brady and tight coverage could work. To rattle Tom, you may need to rush as many as 6 or 7. You will also want to double cover at least Moss, Stallworth, Welker and Watson so you might need another 7 or 8 in coverage, so that's 13-15 players on the field. Of course, more would probably work better.

Sounds like a good plan. And the way the competition committee is going, it might just be legal next season.

Before we get carried away, some clever DC with top level players IS going to figure out how to counter the Pats O. Given injuries and the fact that the ball bounces funny, it will happen.

I have always liked Chris Colinsworth but I am liking him even more this year. He is one of the few analysts who say that the Patriots are virtually unstoppable and to just watch history unfold. If any analyst could find a way to stop this, the most successful offense through 6 weeks in NFL history, than they woud be paying defensive coordiantor or head coach, not commentator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back