PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Horsecollar Tackle

Status
Not open for further replies.
didnt one of our players get called for it on sunday? i cant seem to remember who though..

The difference is that the Pats did get the penalty, but the tackle saved a TD. If that's the only way you can get the guy down and you don't roll the runner's ankles (like Williams does), then you might not get fined.

I forget who it was but I remember a long run earlier this year against the Cowboys and Williams had a shot at bringing down the running back. Rather than making a shoestring tackle he tried to be fancy and horsecaller the guy and he missed and end up flat on his face as the guy scored.

Serves the azzhole right for trying to be a showboat rather than making a tackle the right way. Thats why he horsecollars people because he thinks its cool to make other players look bad by dragging them down from behind and making them look helpless as their legs give out.

Maybe if someone horsecollars his stupid ass he will get the mesage. Some team should run a WR screen to his side and have the WR run towards the outside of the tackle as the TE comes in to crackback his ass.

Heres what I'd like to see happen, if we play dallas in the superbowl, and we're ahead by alot, bring in Wilfork as a tackle eligible, then have Brady intentionally throw a pick to Williams then have Wilfork horsecollar him, the shear force of Wilfork coming to the ground will break Williams' spine....... Karma

someone on a cowboys board said "he cant help it..thats just the way hes played since he was little..he cant change in a year!"

um..thats bull. first of all..u simply dont reach behind the neck into the collar. its very avoidable. second of all..how about u stop chasing people from behind so often? safety means ur the last line of defense. if ur chasing a man..shame on u

As an Oklahoma fan, Roy has become somewhat of an embarassment to me. He's a devolved into a dirty player and a borderline thug. The Cowboy poster is wrong. He wasn't taught that way at OU and I doubt his HS coach taught him to do it either.

its legal in college..and i personally dont think its that bad.

It's legal in rugby, too... but it's just not done as a sign of sportsmanship, even without the benefit of pads to grab on to. "It's not that bad"... right. Tell that to the legions of guys with torn up legs because of dirty horse collar tackles.

Not sure how you come up with that, the horse collar tackle is a very dangerous tactic and has injured many players including Ben Watson.. maybe we should reconsider the clip as being not bad or roughing the passer as an ok thing to do?? There are a lot of idiotic NFL rules this is not one of them..

Williams got what he deserved, and will not effect his team all that much.. if the NFL wanted to make a statement they should have suspended him for the first playoff game.

The difference is that the Pats did get the penalty, but the tackle saved a TD. If that's the only way you can get the guy down and you don't roll the runner's ankles (like Williams does), then you might not get fined.

is that mean they gonna suspend our player too ? i don't think the tackle was 100% similar to the cowboy tackle?

Didn't Mel Mitchell (I think) of the Pats get called for a horse collar tackle on Sunday vs. the Jets on a kick return?

It was the first time I ever heard of that. I had to TiVO back and listen to it again to find out what the ref was saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes