PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Horsecollar Tackle

Status
Not open for further replies.

weswelker#83

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Roy Williams suspended 1 game without pay for latest use of "horsecollar" tackle that's illegal because of him.

Video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9APM6mNVCVY

NFL Suspends Williams One Game For Horse-Collar Tackle
http://blog.dallascowboys.com/blogs/bigshotblurbs/archive/2007/12/17/968680.aspx

Wikipedia:

The horse-collar tackle is an American football maneuver in which a defender tackles another player by grabbing the back-inside of an opponent's shoulder pads from behind and yanking the player down. The technique is most closely associated with Dallas Cowboys safety Roy Williams. This kind of tackle was banned from the NFL during the 2005 offseason; the rule forbidding it is often referred to in the press as "The Roy Williams Rule." The rule was expanded to include the back of the jersey collar in 2006.

The horse-collar tackle rose to infamy during the 2004 NFL season, in which it was implicated for six major injuries, four of which were committed by Williams (including two in one game). The injuries that season included broken legs for Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens, and Baltimore Ravens running back Musa Smith. On May 23, 2005, NFL owners voted 27-5 to ban the tackle.

hes an idiot. learn to play the game and learn to tackle properly

scouting report

-cant cover
-cant tackle legally

Roy Williams suspended 1 game without pay for latest use of "horsecollar" tackle that's illegal because of him.

For anyone who thinks this is bogus, you should talk to Ben Watson. He should be getting out of his monthly "Roy Williams Horsecollar Victims Group" meeting any minute now. I hear TO brought popcorn...

I mean they made a law because of him and he still breaking that same rule , how dumb is that !

Last edited:
For anyone who thinks this is bogus, you should talk to Ben Watson. He should be getting out of his monthly "Roy Williams Horsecollar Victims Group" meeting any minute now. I hear TO brought popcorn...

I wonder, if Dallas lucks out against GB, Romo doesn't self-destruct and Dallas makes the SB are the refs gonna call the horsecollar against Williams or not? Precedent in big games says they won't.

Last edited:
Yeah, I flipped over to the gameyesterday and a Cowboy was dragging someone down from behind and I immediately said to myself, "Must be Roy Williams." And it was.

someone on a cowboys board said "he cant help it..thats just the way hes played since he was little..he cant change in a year!"

um..thats bull. first of all..u simply dont reach behind the neck into the collar. its very avoidable. second of all..how about u stop chasing people from behind so often? safety means ur the last line of defense. if ur chasing a man..shame on u

As soon as Williams enrolled Watson in that program in Week 6
i began repeating,

Has Roy Williams Ever Tackled Someone Without Trying To End His Career ?

didnt one of our players get called for it on sunday? i cant seem to remember who though..

didnt one of our players get called for it on sunday? i cant seem to remember who though..

Mel Mitchell was called for it..

This is obviously a different case. Williams have consistently used this illegal and dangerous tactic and it is one of the many reasons I despise him as a player.

I'm good friends with a hardcore Dallas fan and he hates him too. Can't cover for crap, can't tackle legally.

Mel Mitchell did on an ST play towards the end of the game.

The announcers described a difference between the violent version made famous by Williams and the non-violent version by Mitchell, and explained that now its pretty much if you make the horse collar, regardless of the dangerousness, its a foul.

I'm not sure I understand the difference, but I think it involves how long you hold the neck area. Maybe someone who knows more could explain it.

He's a friggin scumbag. class A doooooooooosh

It's all about how you drag the guy down. The Roy Williams version drags the guy straight down onto his feet, endangering his knees, while Mitchell took him down kind of sideways. The Williams tackle on McNabb was absolutely blatant last night, and McNabb got up immediately afterwards and got in Williams' face.

Roy Williams isn't that good a player, and his play is extremely dangerous.

someone on a cowboys board said "he cant help it..thats just the way hes played since he was little..he cant change in a year!"

um..thats bull. first of all..u simply dont reach behind the neck into the collar. its very avoidable. second of all..how about u stop chasing people from behind so often? safety means ur the last line of defense. if ur chasing a man..shame on u

Ah, but he has changed. He used to tuck his knees up inside the other players knees (in the back), thus nearly guaranteeing an injury if done at a certain angle.

Ah, but he has changed. He used to tuck his knees up inside the other players knees (in the back), thus nearly guaranteeing an injury if done at a certain angle.

I believe Ben Watson got tackled via the "knee tuck" horsecollar. He left the game with an ankle injury.

Edit: P.S. It's about effing time he got suspended. If he ends somebody's career with that horrible tackle, I would want to punch him in the face. (Of course I would attempt to run away after this only to have my legs broken by a horsecollar tackle).

Last edited:
Yea, he doesn't just horsecollar you, he also slides directly behind your legs, using his weight to drag you down. Sometimes the other players legs get trapped under Williams' body, which has caused broken bones.

....it's how Watson was hurt this year

Video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9APM6mNVCVY

NFL Suspends Williams One Game For Horse-Collar Tackle
http://blog.dallascowboys.com/blogs/bigshotblurbs/archive/2007/12/17/968680.aspx

Wikipedia:

Only the Steelers in their fraud SuperBowl can get away with that.

hcfc5.jpg

No flag on this by the way ;) ;)

Roy Williams is a dirty player, and after he hurt Watson in week 6 I really started hating him. McNabb got really lucky on that play that his foot didnt get stuck in the turf, or it would have been like 20th player Roy Williams hurt with his dumb tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes