PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Horrible Pats fan jokes about Torrey Smith's brother following loss to Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, lets get into an argument about semantics.

Everyone just loves having to read the back and forth between two posters arguing about these things.

Is talking about what a single, deranged tweeter said "worse" than the actual tweet?

Maybe not, despite my having literally said otherwise.

The original Tweeter was read by 53 people.

Reporter writes about the Tweeter and quotes him and 53,000 people have now read said Tweet.

Which was more harmful?

And I'm sorry, it is unprofessional to write an article about a single, unknown tweet(er). The writer of this article had an agenda. The Tweeter was just the tool.

Who cares which is worse. Theyre BOTH scumbags. Im sure the two of you can agree on that.

Sent from the device that is held in my hand.

Please, lets get into an argument about semantics.

Everyone just loves having to read the back and forth between two posters arguing about these things.

Is talking about what a single, deranged tweeter said "worse" than the actual tweet?

Maybe not, despite my having literally said otherwise.

The original Tweeter was read by 53 people.

Reporter writes about the Tweeter and quotes him and 53,000 people have now read said Tweet.

Which was more harmful?

And I'm sorry, it is unprofessional to write an article about a single, unknown tweet(er). The writer of this article had an agenda. The Tweeter was just the tool.

The tweeter was more harmful. If there isn't a tweet, the reporter has nothing to report on. So, yes, the tweeter was more harmful.

The world is full of crazy people and she's one of them. The media reports on the actions of crazy people (murder, etc.) every day all day long. That's par for the course.

The tweeter was more harmful. If there isn't a tweet, the reporter has nothing to report on. So, yes, the tweeter was more harmful.

A Jets fan starts a fire in a crowded theater (because thats what they do).

A Raven's fan yells "FIRE, FIRE" at the top of his lungs. Thirteen people are trampled to death.

And yet, if there had been no fire, the Ravens fan had nothing to yell about. So yes, the fire was more harmful.

Why do we even have a thread about this? Clearly this idiot likes exposure at all costs and we are giving it to him here. Don't mind the mediots either, they just love to hate on successful teams and their fans at every given opportunity.

A Jets fan starts a fire in a crowded theater (because thats what they do).

A Raven's fan yells "FIRE, FIRE" at the top of his lungs. Thirteen people are trampled to death.

And yet, if there had been no fire, the Ravens fan had nothing to yell about. So yes, the fire was more harmful.

Absolutely terrible example. Again, the reporter would have had nothing to report (AKA, do his job) on if the tweeter hadn't of made a scumbag tweet tryin to bring levity to the untimely death of a football player's brother. The more you try to justify the tweet, the worse you're sounding.

Absolutely terrible example. Again, the reporter would have had nothing to report (AKA, do his job) on if the tweeter hadn't of made a scumbag tweet tryin to bring levity to the untimely death of a football player's brother. The more you try to justify the tweet, the worse you're sounding.

The more I justify the tweet? GFY.

EDIT: This sub-conversation ended.

Last edited:
May somebody pay her the same kindness tenfold.

The more I justify the tweet? GFY.

EDIT: This sub-conversation ended.

That's exactly what you're trying to do by attempting to make the case that what the reporter did, his job, was worse than denigrating an athlete over the death of his brother. Have a nice day.

Wow, what a *****. Terrible thing to say - I wonder if she's a legitimately awful person or one of those weird folks who thinks that basic human decency doesn't apply online. Probably both?

And then there's this:

The comment immediately elicited angry reaction from Ravens fans and others online. But many went further, calling her vulgar expletives and wishing harm — even rape — upon her. Several commenters posted contact information for Moody's superior at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, where she works as a senior administrative coordinator.

The people mentioned there aren't much better. It's more of an "idiot + online podium = particularly loud idiot" equation, really. Everytime I think that the internet has created a ton of people like this, I try to remind myself that they've always existed, but in the past their reach didn't extent much further than a few people in their hometowns.

Last edited:
I try to tell my kids that if just 1 person might find it hurtful, then it's not a joke and most likely an insult (excluding hyper sensitivve people who try to find a fault with everything).

Maybe we can't all agree where the line between "joke" and "terribly bad taste" lies, but I assume that we can all agree that the tweet to Smith crossed it by about a mile.

Maybe we can't all agree where the line between "joke" and "terribly bad taste" lies, but I assume that we can all agree that the tweet to Smith crossed it by about a mile.

While the above reporter only reported the woman's name, other reports have included:

1) Shown a photo of her (she is apparently pretty)

2) Reported her full name.

3) Reported where she works.

While in the same article, reporting implied and overt threats to her life and threats to see her raped.

As terrible as the tweet was (I have to assume she was a full-blown on drunk) the reporting of it and her information is dangerous, inciting and potentially complicit.

Last edited:
While the above reporter only reported the woman's name, other reports have included:

1) Shown a photo of her (she is apparently pretty)

2) Reported her full name.

3) Reported where she works.

While in the same article, reporting implied and overt threats to her life and threats to see her raped.

As terrible as the tweet was (I have to assume she was a full-blown on drunk) the reporting of it and her information is dangerous, inciting and potentially complicit.

This is why people need to understand that Twitter is a public outlet, especially when you're tweeting under an account that actually has your name attached to it. If you're not comfortable announcing something over a megaphone to tens of thousands of people, then you probably shouldn't tweet it. You especially shouldn't tweet it to a professional athlete, where it's likely to be seen by tons of people.

Honestly, I'm not totally sure what point you're trying to make. Are you saying that the reporter shouldn't have reported the facts of the story in question, because it would have the potential to endanger the subject on account of her astonishingly stupid/insensitive comments? If so, then I disagree: not the reporter's job. As far as disclosing her place of work, her employer already confirmed that she works there anyway.

Are you saying that journalists have a responsibility to report in such a way that the subject could not possibly be exposed to further danger? Because if that's the case then anybody who mentioned Jerry Sandusky's name when reporting on the pedophilia allegations is culpable, as well. It makes no sense, and it's not a journalist's job to protect anyone.

Last edited:
This is why people need to understand that Twitter is a public outlet, especially when you're tweeting under an account that actually has your name attached to it. If you're not comfortable announcing something over a megaphone to tens of thousands of people, then you probably shouldn't tweet it. You especially shouldn't tweet it to a professional athlete, where it's likely to be seen by tons of people.

Honestly, I'm not totally sure what point you're trying to make. Are you saying that the reporter shouldn't have reported the facts of the story in question, because it would have the potential to endanger the subject on account of her astonishingly stupid/insensitive comments? If so, then I disagree: not the reporter's job. As far as disclosing her place of work, her employer already confirmed that she works there anyway.

Are you saying that journalists have a responsibility to report in such a way that the subject could not possibly be exposed to further danger? Because if that's the case then anybody who mentioned Jerry Sandusky's name when reporting on the pedophilia allegations is culpable, as well. It makes no sense, and it's not a journalist's job to protect anyone.

In my opinion, what Jerry Sandusky did cannot be compared to one crass, stupid tweet (however vile) by a lone fan.

One is a news story. I heartily applaud Sara Ganim for breaking it.

The other is being made INTO a news story. A Baltimore reporter sensationalizing a single Patriot fans tweet is being done with an agenda, to incite their reader-base and vilify the Patriots.

Last edited:
We don't need a thread on the main forum about a so called Patriots fan who is also a so called human being.

The same media trumpeting the line that a dopey YouTube vid does not represent the view of all Americans is the same one implying this classless POS is an accurate representation of all Patriot fans.

Last edited:
Something similar happened during the Olympics. If you don't know what I'm talking about then Danger I think you are blowing this report out of proportion. It's not being made into a news story. A Baltimore paper reported it and thats about the extent of it. I hadn't heard this until I read here.

Here we go again. You notice how the media takes some little idiotic statement and blows it into a bigger story than it deserves to be. I wonder if it wasn't a Patriot fan if it would get any attention at all. "Pats fan" is in the title for every one to notice like it's everyone associated with the Patriots. And the people responding with death threats and threats of rape are worse. All she did was tweet a dumb, stupid joke. I thought most people here are defenders of free speech.

This is something that is not new. I have seen tacky jokes about celebrities all the time. Yes, they are tasteless, but just because it is a Patriots fan, it gets national attention.

I live out here in California and let me tell you something. When Len Bias and Reggie Lewis died, there was absolute glee among Laker fans. Because it was something bad that happened to the Celtics, it seemed to justify their actions.

Here we go again. You notice how the media takes some little idiotic statement and blows it into a bigger story than it deserves to be. I wonder if it wasn't a Patriot fan if it would get any attention at all. "Pats fan" is in the title for every one to notice like it's everyone associated with the Patriots. And the people responding with death threats and threats of rape are worse. All she did was tweet a dumb, stupid joke. I thought most people here are defenders of free speech.

This is something that is not new. I have seen tacky jokes about celebrities all the time. Yes, they are tasteless, but just because it is a Patriots fan, it gets national attention.

I live out here in California and let me tell you something. When Len Bias and Reggie Lewis died, there was absolute glee among Laker fans. Because it was something bad that happened to the Celtics, it seemed to justify their actions.

The ironic part is most Ravens fans are usually the ones who are doing obnoxious stuff like the girl did. I live MD, I have to deal with them everyday, so I would know.

I agree, her comments were inappropriate and not even funny. But making threats to kill and rape her are worse. And the fact that she made her remarks on Twitter showed she didn't use the best set of judgement. Twitter and alcohol is a recipe for disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back