Hopefully Troy gets to practice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jct

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Call me sentimental.
Call me unrealistic.

But I want Troy to return to practice to at least have a chance at a Roster spot.
Heck he is IR insurance if another player is lost in the following 3 weeks.
I believe Troy would find a way to contribute...special teams,offense,defense.
BUT most important, I speculate that he has the talent to beat out someone for a spot on the 53. Even perhaps as the emergency QB.

It does no good to say he is old and washed up, this is mostly sentimental.
At the very least say thanks for his past but he can only contribute to the Patriots in the future off the field. (Coaching,PR,etc)
Your Thoughts....

I want him to get number 4. Sentimental reasons as well, since we're stacked.

I'll be rooting for you Troy!

I want him to get number 4. Sentimental reasons as well, since we're stacked.

I'll be rooting for you Troy!

I love Troy too...but man, what a hard lineup to crack right now. This isn't the 2001-2006 Patriots anymore. Last Sunday I just happened to notice how fast even Jabbar Gaffney was coming off the line to catch a ball - wheh! Then there is the matter of Chad Jackson, he represents the future. It's a tough, tough, call when it comes to Troy...but BB is known to be highly unsentimental...even though I'm sure he loves the guy as much as we do.

I love Troy. Man I do. That said there's a couple things...

1. I think this might be his last year. I hate that, but there's really not room at WR for him right now.

2. I think if he does break the line-up, he has a better shot doing it on the Defesnive side of the ball.

I hope I'm wrong about 1, and I'm pretty convinced of 2. What do you all think?

I think Bill gets him on the roster for Special Teams or something just to try and get him another ring before he rides off into the sunset.

Look for Troy to be activated within hours of the deadline for getting PUPs off.

Last edited:
Well, this brings up another question. Who, of the 3 remaining PUPs will be activated this season? And more importantly, who's spot on the 53 do those guys take?

Some possibilities, likely or not, in no particular order:

1) QB Matt Gutierrez (BB's gone with 2 QBs before, but chance someone snags him like Justin Rogers (Cowboys) and Garrett Mills (Vikings)
2) S Rashad Baker (good special teams guy, depth in secondary)
3) S Mel Mitchell (great special teams guy, close to 100% yet?)
4) RB Kyle Eckel (easy one if Morris is ready after bye week)
5) WR Kelley Washington (good WR, good ST player)

Others, but would be more of a surprise:

6) LB Pierre Woods
7) DT Le Kevin Smith
8) DT Mike Wright
9) DT Kareem Brown

Anyone else I might have forgot? Anyway, the easiest cut for me is Kyle Eckel as soon as Sammy can play--now who gets his spot Chad, Eddie?
Personally, I'd keep Eddie Jackson on the IR this year unless he's wowing in practice. The DBs aren't looking bad at this point and it wouldn't be a big improvement there. But neither would Chad Jackson at WR for that matter. At least for short term, but maybe get him some more playing time in this blowout games and he'll be more ready next year. Who knows, time will tell. Gotta love Troy still for all he did for the Pats. Will be interesting to see what BB decides to do in the next week here.

QUESTION:
IF Troy retires could he unretire to join us later???
(IF IR opened up a spot)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill