PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Honoring a contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.
atlpatsfan said:
I have been reading all the posts about Branch and hear a lot of people talking about how he should do the right thing and live up to his contract. How "in the real world" people sign contracts and then honor them.

Well, news flash people THIS ISN'T THE REAL WORLD. This is the NFL.

I was raised on a small New Hampshire town by working class parents and they taught me that a man lives by his word. They also taught me that if the people you sign a contract with don't have to honor it then neither do you. Let be fair to the players, they are million dollar crybabies but they do have a point. Any player can be cut from any team at any time for any reason, whether they are under contract or not. Teams cut players who are honoring thier contracts all the time, just to save money. Is that fair to someone under contract?

If the teams don't have to honor a contract why do the players?

Just my two cents.
You obviously don't understand a contract has many terms. Including allowing NFL teams to cut you if they deem it in their best interest. So THAT IS PART OF THE CONTRACT. How hard is that to understand? Its part of the deal that was bargained for and perfectly allowable by the CBA as negotiated by the player's own union. Similarly, if a player receives a bonus up front then performs at a much lower level than expected, you don't see him returning the bonus money, do you? That was part of the risk/negotiation of the deal as well.

Contracts are varied. There can be non-monetary terms as well as other terms. One terms Branch agreed to is the Patriots could cut him if they so choose and he wouldn't receive subsequent salaries. HE AGREED TO THAT. Understand? It was PART of the contract, part of the deal.

It really shouldn't be that complicated, but apparently for some folks it is.

J D Sal

atlpatsfan said:
I have been reading all the posts about Branch and hear a lot of people talking about how he should do the right thing and live up to his contract. How "in the real world" people sign contracts and then honor them.

I was raised on a small New Hampshire town by working class parents and they taught me that a man lives by his word. They also taught me that if the people you sign a contract with don't have to honor it then neither do you. Let be fair to the players, they are million dollar crybabies but they do have a point. Any player can be cut from any team at any time for any reason, whether they are under contract or not. Teams cut players who are honoring thier contracts all the time, just to save money. Is that fair to someone under contract?

Just my two cents.
There have been several replies trying to explain why a team cutting a player is:
IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM not living up to or 'honoring' the contract.
Not even IN THE SLIGHTEST any 'moral' obligation.

As explained, this type of contract is structured where the player gets guaranteed money. Believe you me, there has NEVER been a case where the player hasn't gotten that money as owed him by the contract terms. THIS is the obligation of the team and is exactly and ONLY what it is they have to HONOR.

On the other hand, the landscape is littered with players who have taken the up front money and then violated the contract (eg Kellon Winslow and Ricky Williams) and haven't been made to repay the up front money that is their 100% contractual obligation to return in order to HONOR the contract. The landscape is littered with players who refused to honor their contracts and forced the teams to trade them or tender more favorable contracts.

Perhaps it would make it more understandable - - are you aware what an OPTION contract is ? To briefly recap, in an option contract up front money is paid and is NOT refundable for the right to later purchase a commodity for stipulated terms. The person entering into the contract completely fulfills their obligation to HONOR the contract by making the payment. They have NO obligation to HONOR anything else such as ultimately purchasing the commodity. On the other hand, the person giving the option contract, DOES have an absolutely iron clad legal obligation to HONOR the contract if the person with the option wants to buy the commodity. If they refuse, they are breaking the legal terms of the contract and, in the terms we like to throw about, are not HONORING the contract.

NFL player contracts are an exact analogy. The signing bonus money is the only thing that the teams have any legal or responsible obligation to HONOR. PERIOD. In return for that payment, the player agrees to one or more years of options which the team can exercise - at its SOLE discretion. The player has no right to have any expectation whatsoever at that point as to whether the team exercises the option or not. The player has sold any right of expectation for the up front money which was the team's only obligation. So ANY cut of a player has NOTHING to do with HONORING the contract. It's simply exercising a right that the team ALREADY PAID FOR.

Somehow or another, the aspect of - "well he isn't getting paid what he is worth" always creeps in. This is meaningless nonsense in the terms of an option contract. The contract was agreed upon by both parties and both took a gamble. The team gambles that the the player will be worth the money agreed to for each option year. If the player isn't worth it, the team loses their up front money which they do not get value for. The player trades off getting an amount of up front money that will make it worth his while to perform for the option money that he has agreed to for each year of the contract. Part of his tradeoff is that he gets the up front money whether he is worth anything or not - and the flipside is that if he turns out to be a superstar, he still has to honor his contract for the money agreed for each year.

There is another aspect which I absolutely cannot fathom. And that is another thing that creeps in - "the player was coerced into accepting an option contract that was not to his advantage". Actually, this may be the case in the NFL. But it is not the TEAMS who are responsible for this inequity (IF IF IF there is any), it is the PLAYERS' UNION !! !! !! In the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), the players' union negotiated and agreed to the WHOLE contract structure - the number of years AND the amount of money that can be paid to the rookies. The PLAYERS' UNION set these ground rules. If one were cynical, one would say that the reason they are quite comfortable with the rookie contract structure is that it leaves more money for the veterans !! !! !! If there is ANY gripe, it should be directed SOLELY toward the players' union.

Hopefully this helps put this whole thing into perspective.

You might have a point if when a player were cut, the player returned his signing bonus or even a share of it.

The signing bonus (and any other guaranteed money) is what a player gets as value for promising to play under the salary and other terms of the contract for a specified number of years. A player must also live under the rules of the players' union and the CBA that they have agreed to.

Guss Scott didn't receive a signing bonus. He plays under one year contracts, under terms that are consistent with the CBA.

atlpatsfan said:

Just my two cents.

Bertil said:
The NFL sword cuts BOTH ways. All parties involved know this. As it pertains to this particuilar case, I'm reserving judgement because, as of right now, Deion has played as many games during this preseason (0) as he did last year. Additionally, he hasn't missed any regular season games.

Maybe this is just a BB/SP created ruse to bypass the haranguing they withstood from the NFL last year (remember) after holding fragile SB MVP Deion out for the preseason. This would be similar to what they do with the injury list. Until the season starts, who cares?
Apparently you have no real idea about the chemistry of football and what it takes to MAKE a team. So little Deion hasn't shown up to play and that is OK..like last year. He was in training camp and practicing and looking at film and getting the chemitsry down with the other recievers..THAT is what it takes, my friend, the fact that he was not used in games to me only shows how the coaches see his lack of durability and his fragility as a player.This year, he's been a no-show and whenever he returns, he must work his way back into shape both individually and collectively with the team; he is far behind in both.
If you believe that a receiver can NOT be in camp and just come in and play, I think you have zero concept of what it takes to play football and build a team. And I don't care if Brady does have good chemitsry with him. There are 11 players on the field on offense and Branch has to be PART of that.
As to who cares...I think many care because they KNOW how much his holdout has hurt the team and himself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye